mtbr member

What's the best way to get to Prompton?

I'll be driving north on 81. Some of the trail reviews say to start by the dam if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, I would also appreciate this information. And is there an alternate way into the park if the main entrance is closed? I drove down there once last year (about an hour and fifteen minute drive for me) and the main entrance was closed so the I wound up turning around and going to Merli. I remember someone saying that you could park someone else and legally get into the park. Is the main entrance often closed? Do they have trail maps there or are there any trail maps available online??

mtbr member
    Take 81 to the Casey Highway. The Casey is "the new route 6". It's where 81 and 380 split (follow the signs to Carbondale). Take the Casey past the last exit. You're now back on the original route 6. Go until you come to the stop light (Waymart). Stay straight for 3-4 miles. The road has a Left bend in it with a Left turn. Make that Left (this is route 170) and Prompton is only a 1/4 mile in.
    As far as the new parking. Continue on down the road past the first parking lot and you'll see a boat launch area. Pull in there and the trails will start there. You'll be riding them backwards. Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 05-04-2007 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Take 81 to the Casey Highway. The Casey is "the new route 6". It's where 81 and 380 split (follow the signs to Carbondale). Take the Casey past the last exit. You're now back on the original route 6. Go until you come to the stop light (Waymart). Stay straight for 3-4 miles. The road has a Left bend in it with a Left turn. Make that Left (this is route 170) and Prompton is only a 1/4 mile in.
    As far as the new parking. Continue on down the road past the first parking lot and you'll see a boat launch area. Pull in there and the trails will start there. You'll be riding them backwards. Fahn
    Thanks Larry. Is that a good way to ride them?

mtbr member
    It's not the typical way. But it's still fun as can be! The cool thing about Prompton is that (the regular way CCW) is that you have some climbs and some decents the entire way, but the climbs are fast. They might be a steep shot with 10-15 feet of climbing or a long gradual climb. The decents are always long and enjoyable. The flat's are fast too. Some tech sections, some aren't. It's the best mix I can say I've ridden. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    It's not the typical way. But it's still fun as can be! The cool thing about Prompton is that (the regular way CCW) is that you have some climbs and some decents the entire way, but the climbs are fast. They might be a steep shot with 10-15 feet of climbing or a long gradual climb. The decents are always long and enjoyable. The flat's are fast too. Some tech sections, some aren't. It's the best mix I can say I've ridden. ttyl, Fahn
    That's what I like. Can I do the ride in YOUR direction from where I'll be? Also, was thinking of Merli but I'm a little confused as to the post-logging conditions. Again, I'll be alone and don't want to risk getting turned around. THANKS!

mtbr member
    When did you want to do Merli? I'm not around this weekend, but MIGHT be next Saturday. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    When did you want to do Merli? I'm not around this weekend, but MIGHT be next Saturday. ttyl, Fahn
    Can't do next weekend. Would have to be 19/20.

I'm on fire.
    Make that Left (this is route 170) and Prompton is only a 1/4 mile in.
    You can also continue driving down Rt 170 a few more miles and park at the radio airplane flight area, which starts you at almost the "far" end of the trails & lake. I don't believe that area is ever closed. Either way the trails are great, but I usually ride across the dam first from the main parking area to hit those trails.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

Cap'n Injury
    Howdy- I live in Prompton and bike there fairly frequently- but most of this season it has looked like the whole "road" across the top of the dam has been closed off for the construction. Does anyone else know about this? Is there still another way to start this way (it's my favorite way to ride the park)

I'm going to ride over there right now and check it out- update coming this evening.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGherkin
    Howdy- I live in Prompton and bike there fairly frequently- but most of this season it has looked like the whole "road" across the top of the dam has been closed off for the construction. Does anyone else know about this? Is there still another way to start this way (it's my favorite way to ride the park)

I'm going to ride over there right now and check it out- update coming this evening.
    I'm looking to get out there tomorrow (Sun) late morning or noonish if you wanna hook up. Will need to know early because of the drive. Also curious about the question you are asking about here.

Cap'n Injury
    Crud! Sorry that I didn't read that sooner or I definitely would have loved to! I ended up riding both Saturday and Sunday- were you able to get out?

To address the original issue: The top of Prompton Dam is indeed closed off for construction. In order to get to the trail head at the opposite end of it, you're going to need to park on the OTHER side of the Dam (Get back onto Rt 6, and just after the bridge after about half a mile, take a left. Just past the Prompton Postal Office there is a parking lot). You'll need to do the mean hike up the right side. The trail is still open there.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I lost my bleedin' cell phone biking there on Saturday- If anyone happens to find it (please, oh God) drop me a PM!