mtbr member
    Sep 2013

What you can/can't do on PA gamelands.

I'm making more trails in the Altoona area on Wopsy mountain. Most of the terrain is just ferns/bushes and my approach regularly is getting a weed wacker to cut a single track trail, and later come around with a leaf blower.

Have any of you ever ran into trouble with game wardens before for cutting/maintaining trails?

sambabiker.com
    You need permission before working on or building trails on any land unless you own it.
    Bikes and horses were for the most part banned from state game lands in 2003. Restricted to "trails" 8 foot and hard packed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by I like bicycles. View Post
    I'm making more trails in the Altoona area on Wopsy mountain. Most of the terrain is just ferns/bushes and my approach regularly is getting a weed wacker to cut a single track trail, and later come around with a leaf blower.

Have any of you ever ran into trouble with game wardens before for cutting/maintaining trails?
    Oh cool, you're building illegal trails? As if we don't have enough of a problem with being respected?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member

I think your best thing for all involved would be for you to go talk to the SGL wardens and ask for feedback on what you have already done

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the input fellas. I've been riding for a few years now, but this is the first summer I put forth to contribute in trail making. I wasn't sure if it was a major problem held equivalent to cutting trees or not.

I know the gamelands permit small open fires so long as it's supervised, which is impressive to me if they don't mind that, but have a problem with me trimming some ferns. I'll see if I can get in contact with the game warden in my area to make sure before I continue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's great that you want to contribute to building / maintaining trails! However, I believe the State Game Lands restrictions on mountain biking are a direct result of people cutting trails without permission from the Game Commission. Perhaps there is already an organized club in your area that would be happy to have your help.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Go to your local shops and try to find out if there's a local trail advocacy group. They'll likely have a calendar list of dates where there are trail workdays going on to either work on existing trails or help build new ones.

One of the problems with what you're doing is regarding the sustainability of the trails your building. Your local trail advocacy group will likely have a person or few that have experience building sustainable trails, and there's a lot that goes into that.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    There is an amazing amount of legal trail systems in Pa,state game lands don't really add or take away.that being said I have ridden several game land areas and interesting enough that these particular areas are hardly policed and locals claim that they are left alone and have a wink wink nudge nudge relationship with rangers.

mtbr member

I know the gamelands permit small open fires so long as it's supervised, which is impressive to me if they don't mind that, but have a problem with me trimming some ferns.
    "To start a fire on a game land, someone must possess a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or be thru-hiking on the Appalachian Trail, the commission said. Precautions must be taken to prevent the spread of the fire, and the fires must be attended at all times and extinguished completely before the site is vacated."

GoErie.com Blogs: NWPA Outdoors - Campfires on Pennsylvania state game lands now limited
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!