Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Weather?

Gravity's Gone

What Weather?

After changing my mind ten or twelve times about going today I finally decided to head out early this afternoon. I met up with Hickster & Brett (if he has an mtbr handle I don't know what it is) and we had a great ride. Just as we finished it started pouring. Perfect timing.
    What Weather?-asgd.jpg
    What Weather?-cfhg.jpg
    What Weather?-cjfgh.jpg
    What Weather?-cvnb.jpg
    What Weather?-cxv.jpg
    What Weather?-etwrt.jpg
    What Weather?-iy.jpg
    What Weather?-jnlgh.jpg
    What Weather?-jok.jpg
    What Weather?-k%3Bljgh.jpg

Gravity's Gone
    What Weather?-kl.jpg
    What Weather?-lo.jpg
    What Weather?-mnbg.jpg
    What Weather?-mnbv.jpg
    What Weather?-oiuu.jpg
    What Weather?-vcbxh.jpg
    What Weather?-vcjfg.jpg

mtbr member

Squeaked it in....

....nice going....we are pretty soaked up here on the Mountain.....probably....be awhile before any decent riding. You guys have a great start to the year on riding. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Did you ever have ham?
    The Weather Gods must like you guys!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Gravity's Gone
    Hit it again this morning with Wyatt79, Colby & Hickster. Wyatt suffered an immediate mechanical so his day was done early. The trails are in great condition but there's a ton of blowdowns. The parking lot was full as I also spied Naner's and possibly jonzy's (not quite sure) vehicles in the lot. The sickness bros were just pulling in when we left.
    What Weather?-bhgj.jpg
    What Weather?-cvx.jpg
    What Weather?-gh.jpg
    What Weather?-ghj.jpg
    What Weather?-hg.jpg
    What Weather?-iuu.jpg
    What Weather?-jh.jpg
    What Weather?-jk.jpg
    What Weather?-kjjhgv.jpg
    What Weather?-mnbvc.jpg

Chilling out
    The Gods favor the Brave.

Not the Lazy, like me.

Gravity's Gone
    What Weather?-nmbjgfh.jpg
    What Weather?-nmbv.jpg
    What Weather?-poikj.jpg
    What Weather?-ty.jpg
    What Weather?-vcx.jpg
    What Weather?-wsedfhnm.jpg
    What Weather?-xzbfdc.jpg
    What Weather?-yhg.jpg
    What Weather?-zasdd.jpg

Nice pics. I got out about 11:30 and got soaked. Ran into naner just as he was leaving, and both sickness brothers later on. Was a great ride until I was almost finished and caught my rear deraileaur on a branch. I completely destroyed it, and ended up walking out.

Not sure if you guys rode the Jump trail today. If not, be careful - there's a huge blowdown right after the last stump jump - you can't hit the jump without crashing into it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Weather?-0391.jpg  

ride more
    Mar 2007
    so easy a caveman could do it

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    hey what tires are on that blue prophet?

edit: rear specifically
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Gravity's Gone
    DriveBy - It's a Continental Mountain King

Jonzy - Sorry to hear about your rear d. It's that time of year. Yes we found that blowdown on the jump trail yesterday when I almost did a head on into it. Here's a picture of Bob warning everybody about it:
    What Weather?-100_0706.jpg

Blue Pig
    I see nothing wrong...
    Ragley Blue Pig

The White Jeff W
    Does everybody out there ride Cannondale?

I'm jealous. Our snow just melted a couple days ago and now it's been raining since Friday. Next weekend, though, game on!

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by nankerphelge
    DriveBy - It's a Continental Mountain King
    sweet thats what i thought, what size? im lookin to get some and wanted to know if the 2.4's could clear the rear
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Gravity's Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    Does everybody out there ride Cannondale?
    Yep. If you don't have a Prophet, Perp or Gemini then you can't come with us.

Gravity's Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveByBikeShooting
    sweet thats what i thought, what size? im lookin to get some and wanted to know if the 2.4's could clear the rear
    It is a 2.4. It fits easy. As a matter of fact it fits better than the Kenda Nevegal 2.35 that I usually run.

The White Jeff W
    I run 2.4 MK Supersonics on my Yeti. Love 'em.

Blue Pig
    I don't want to be an ass but why those pricey models for the type of riding you guys do? or did you guys buy them used? NEPMTBA and Moto ride HT's that get the job done for the trails they ride and they ride the same ones you guys ride most of the time if not all the time.

Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You know I was looking at all the pics and was wondering the same thing myself....You all do have Cannondales!! I have a Trek, can I come play? Luckily I got out after all the snow melted and before all this rain came! I'm laid off now for a little while and I got to ride Mt. Gretna last Thursday with another laid off fellow. It was pretty awesome to be on some dry and snow free trails for the first time in a month. Especially those as treacherous and technical as those there!!! We had a blast. I don't think its going to rain too much more in my area and by Tuesday or Wednesday I should be able to get back out and ride again!!! Night ride planned for Wed night!!!

Chilling out
    Man, you think the Perps and Gemeni's are expensive? You gotta browse the net a bit, there's way more s'pensive hardware out there.

I've both a FS and a rigid bike (alas, it has gears, i'm not enough the man to ride a singlespeed) and ride either on pretty much any trail. They're different experiences, facilitate different ways of attacking the trail, definitely have their "native" areas too. I'm spoiled, and I know it.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Those trails look really rideable. I figured with the snow melt and rain only the mud wrestlers would be out. Actually seen a lot worse last June. Where are you guys riding in those pics?
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul
    You know I was looking at all the pics and was wondering the same thing myself....You all do have Cannondales!! I have a Trek, can I come play? Luckily I got out after all the snow melted and before all this rain came! I'm laid off now for a little while and I got to ride Mt. Gretna last Thursday with another laid off fellow. It was pretty awesome to be on some dry and snow free trails for the first time in a month. Especially those as treacherous and technical as those there!!! We had a blast. I don't think its going to rain too much more in my area and by Tuesday or Wednesday I should be able to get back out and ride again!!! Night ride planned for Wed night!!!
    I was talking about Jeffw-13's comment here.

Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail
    Those trails look really rideable. I figured with the snow melt and rain only the mud wrestlers would be out. Actually seen a lot worse last June. Where are you guys riding in those pics?
    Geisinger Trails in Danville.

You have to keep in mind that there are few flat trails at Geisinger - either heart attack climbs or white knuckle descents...also helps with the drainage.

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Man, you think the Perps and Gemeni's are expensive? You gotta browse the net a bit, there's way more s'pensive hardware out there.

I've both a FS and a rigid bike (alas, it has gears, i'm not enough the man to ride a singlespeed) and ride either on pretty much any trail. They're different experiences, facilitate different ways of attacking the trail, definitely have their "native" areas too. I'm spoiled, and I know it.
    I know there are more expensive models... but I also know there are not so expensive models that get the job done for those types of rides you guys do. I'm not trying to control your spending's but was just curious.
    Ragley Blue Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    I know there are more expensive models... but I also know there are not so expensive models that get the job done for those types of rides you guys do. I'm not trying to control your spending's but was just curious.
    Interesting, maybe you could elaborate on the types of rides that we do.......

Gravity's Gone
    I just don't think that this is the "type of riding" I'll be doing on a fully rigid single speed any time soon:
    What Weather?-100_0433.jpg

ride more
    Mar 2007
    When your friend has a bike shop, you ride what he sells? I have had plenty of non Cannondales tho, and like Bear said they are cheap compared to some other brands I've ridden.

Blue Pig
    Just a question guys don't take it personal. Continue the riding and posting new pictures.
    Ragley Blue Pig

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I think mister black socks needs to take a trip to Natalie or maybe bomb the jump trail or maybe the graveyard run. Yes, you can ride all that on a hardtail but it's not very fast or fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Weather?-iphone-pics-053.jpg  

What Weather?-iphone-pics-063.jpg  

What Weather?-iphone-pics-068.jpg  

ride more
    Mar 2007
    p.s. it's steeper than it looks.
    It's just more fun if you have different bikes for different rides, sometimes it's fun too have to much bike.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

I don't want to be an ass but why those pricey models for the type of riding you guys do? or did you guys buy them used? NEPMTBA and Moto ride HT's that get the job done for the trails they ride and they ride the same ones you guys ride most of the time if not all the time.

Nope, no HT for me: Straight gauge blackpipe, Rigid, 29erSS, 32/20 gearing with V-brakes!.

Just what I like, not bragg'in in any way, works for me! All these guys that are my friends ride different bikes and they are all great riders no matter the bike they are on!

It's all about riding, we are all different people, but have a lot of fun sharing rides together. There is a lot you don't see in the pics, should join us sometime! We have only ridden with nanker a few times, twice at Roaring Creek, once at a different place, but we missed the start! A few times with Jonz at mOOn.

ride

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah,he seems to ride the key board more then his bike.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    nice, I just can't understand why people care so much about what other people are riding? It's supposed to be fun? You ride whatever you got, who cares as long as your out there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Sorry, I got sidetracked, meant to say thius earlier:

Nice pics! Looks like the ride was great no matter what the weather, but I would expect no less from you guys!

Better weather is coming! nanker whens the SS getting here? In time for Millerfest? Any word on model or is it a secret?

ride

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    nice, I just can't understand why people care so much about what other people are riding? It's supposed to be fun? You ride whatever you got, who cares as long as your out there.
    I guess it is the every rides a race mentality and you have to ride a particular bike for particular terrain and wear certain close etc..

Arm chair experts are the best.

I'm attached to my bike.
    Hey guys, I'm posting all over looking for some riding partners. Anyone interested? I currently live in Scranton, but plan on traveling a lot to LSP and Merli Sarnoski to get some good rides. Definitely willing to travel to find a good ride, hit me up if you're interested in teaching me some new trails. Travel well.

Gravity's Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by mchale20
    Hey guys, I'm posting all over looking for some riding partners. Anyone interested? I currently live in Scranton, but plan on traveling a lot to LSP and Merli Sarnoski to get some good rides. Definitely willing to travel to find a good ride, hit me up if you're interested in teaching me some new trails. Travel well.
    When the weather's more predictable most of our weekend rides are announced & discussed on this forum a few days beforehand. You're welcome to join us any time.

wounded knee

I ride a hardtail also, and most of the time it's good enough for the job, but like yesterday when we were bombing down a fast jagged rock faced trail, it would have been nice to have full suspension.
    Those bikes are awesome looking and must really soak up the trail, last time I rode with Nanker his bike fork tubes were as big as the ones on my Sherco! THATS AWESOME!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Chilling out
    mchale, i moved into the area last July (live in Kingston, work in Wilkes-Barre) but have been moderately aggressive at learning trails. At this point I know enough to mostly not get lost off the back side of things. I often venture out of the area on weekends to go ride elsewhere for variety and what we don't have close in here. Like Nanker said it's usually public when I'm heading out and I welcome company ( and gas cost sharing ... ).

Socks, it's cool, you just came across a bit aggressive is all.

And I agree with Naker, I try to keep my rigid bike on the ground. No interest in failure-testing the frame and fork, if you get my drift.

I'm attached to my bike.
    Awesome! Yeah I noticed you posting your rides, I just didn't see it in advance and where you would be riding. I'll keep an eye out though, thank you again. P.S. What LBS do you guys use? I use Sickler's and was wondering if you had any feedback on them, or if you have a spot you know will get the job done well.

Chilling out
    I haven't used Sickler's yet, you'll have to let me know what your experiences with them are.

Closer to me is Main Bike World ( at Market and Wyoming Avenue in Kingston ) and Around Town Bikes ( N Main near Union St in Wilkes-Barre ). Both have been good for me for different things.

We actually got a commuter bike for my wife at Main Bike (we WANTED to get the cooler one at ATB but couldn't justify the additional cost of the specific bike) last fall and the gang was very easy to deal with. Chuck M. who wrenches there I know to also be a very cool guy who rides (and snowboards) a fair amount, I can't speak directly to the quality of his or Main Bike's service work yet as I just haven't needed it.

Lee at ATB seems to have built me some really nice wheels for my FS bike that I overhauled over the winter (although they've not yet been Seriously Tested so the jury is out). Rich Adams makes some very cool frames at ATB also - and he's recently been getting into and has done a small number of 29er MTBs, which is nice since my other bike is a steel 29er and will always be a steel 29er (my FS is a 26er). I ended up getting Lee to do the build based upon the recommendation of multiple riders in the area.

Tom at ATB has been really cool and very helpful, even in non-bike ways when the Mrs and I first arrived here, giving us good tips and directions for things non-bike related.

We've been out to [urll=http://www.cedarbike.com/]Cedar Bike[/url] in Scranton just to scope out the shop and talk to the gang and they seemed very cool.

Main seems to have more MTB/BMX stuff than ATB, on hand at least. Cedar seems to be a very thorough and old-school shop but then they have a larger community to draw from.

Fair warning: I'm a bi-polar rider. One bike is 26er full-squish (7" travel fork, 6+" travel back end); other MTB is 29er FR (full rigid). With a few exceptions (as stated earlier) I'll ride them happily on the same trails. When I call a ride I try to characterize the intended ride pretty well, but no matter what if it's a public ride call I will refuse to let anyone get left (too far) behind. It's a character flaw that was enhanced by spending 8 years in the US Army (the last 5 of which as a Sergeant). Note that some ride calls will be for rides intended to last over 20- or 30-miles in distance and may consume most portions of daylight available. Not all, but some. I have some personal goals this year.

I'm attached to my bike.
    Very cool. I'm in the same boat about MBW and ATB as you are with Sickler's. Those are two I will definitely have to check out to maybe get a good comparison. As for Cedar's, they are who I've used my whole life (even as a child), both Scranton, and *****on City. As far as Cedar's go, the one in Scranton is a whole different shop with a completely different atmosphere than DC. I don't mean to be rude about *****on City, but I am going to be honest; the people that work there aren't out for a rider's best interest, nor do they give you the deals that Scranton will, and when giving advice, they tend to lean toward you spending as much money as possible. Now my experience with mtb isn't as vast as most on here, but I know enough to not spend $60 on a pair of DB BMX pedals, but they did get me on a tool kit (which I needed in a hurry for a few quick fixes) where they charged me $50 for it with a cracked case. All in all, for people wondering, don't assume Cedar Bike means Cedar Bike, if you want a good experience, go with the one in South Scranton.

As for Sickler's, I really like they're shop. They have an excellent selection of high quality bikes and accessories, and aren't afraid to knock some money off (which might be because the shop is new and they're trying to get a good rep early). Btw, I'm referring to the one that just opened in Clarks Summit. It's also a brand new building with a ton of room, which just feels more comfortable (sounds weird I know, but when I'm looking around, I like to pull bikes out and get the full 360 view). John, who is mostly there daily, is very cool. He may not know as much as the guys from Cedar, but he'll never pretend he does either. Don't get me wrong though, he knows a lot. My only qualm was that I don't think he cut enough off my steerer tube, and I don't think he adjusted my rear derailleur properly.

Very cool about riding. I'm the same way. I have only a few friends to ride with, and they don't ride as regularly as I do so they tend to be achingly slow (i'll blame their bikes and their lack of riding time), but I won't ever let them get out of sight.

wounded knee
    I would have to agree with Bear 100%
    I bought my bike at ATB, very good to deal with, and Tom will take the time to talk to you about your rides, and bikes, very cool. Not much at the shop when it comes to accessories though.

I go to Main Bike World when it comes time to look around or buy accessories, they have just about everything on hand, and Chuck is great to deal with.

Sicklers is a little out of the way for me.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Blue Pig
    That's right. I ride the KEYBOARD more THAN my bike. I knew 300+ post was too much!

I think mister black socks needs to take a trip to Natalie or maybe bomb the jump trail or maybe the graveyard run. Yes, you can ride all that on a hardtail but it's not very fast or fun.
    Or maybe you can post pictures of these radical trails so I can be entertained. I NEVER said you guys should ride a HT over FS. I only stated the trails you guys do (judging by the pictures being posted) a HT would have done the same job and would of been cheaper. Again, I was curious because all I see are FLAT and TINY JUMP like pictures and nothing serious for those wonderful models you guys ride. I wasn't attacking you guys, only starting a friendly conversation since the weather has been lame as of late.

I can't understand why you would write such a thing when this is a public forum and things of this natural are bound to come up.

Socks, it's cool, you just came across a bit aggressive is all.
    I never was aggressive in my posts until now, maybe! I guess people read too much into internet text. BUT I am glad you see my curiousness, Bear... TY!
    Ragley Blue Pig

Chilling out
    I think everyone (except maybe the Danville Loonies and Nepalphabets) are bike-stir-crazy. I know it would have been great for me to get out last weekend but between weather (contrary to other appearances I'm a weenie about cold+wet) and a sick lady to look after I stayed in and took care of other business. TOTALLY looking forward to abusing the new sunset timeline though. DEFINITELY will be riding SOMETHING toosday afternoon starting between 4-5 pm (I get off work about 3:30 nominally).

I also represent the "my bike has more travel than I've used here" club - for now. I've used it in TX/AZ/CO/UT but not so much here yet. I'm all set for Blue Mtn, Diablo, etc., for this year (got my "big" helmet last week, all I really need to salve my conscience is the shin-guards).

My favorite obstacle in AZ to date (yes, that's me):

.. another view of it (not me, a cool chick from SoCal )...

[img]http://www.bearandwife.com/bear/cycling/trips/09AZSF/01.mila/P1050704.JPG[img]

wounded knee
    Bear, thats a gnarly obstacle!

You wouldn't catch me riding down that without my Sherco underneath me!
    Last edited by dirtrider6; 03-15-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Blue Pig
    I envy you, Bear.
    Ragley Blue Pig

I'm attached to my bike.
    Bear, you look like Bret Favre, lol.

Chilling out
    I envy you, Bear.
    I've been very lucky in many ways, one was getting to ride with people in a number of places.

Don't envy, just get onto a road trip sometime with your bike!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Ahhh...

MTBR in the winter!

ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast