mtbr member

what kind of snake?

i was cruising over at marsh creek tonight doing my "after race ride'' ( the trails are always so nice after a race!) and i came across this little guy. i originally thought it was a copper head because it was so young and bright but i think i jumped the gun by saying that. I'm guesing a watersnake of some sort. The pic is bad because i took it with the phone and he kept striking it as i tried to take the pic and freaks me out so....not a good photo but enough to identify it. i removed him/her from the trail then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by zr8tdk
    i was cruising over at marsh creek tonight doing my "after race ride'' ( the trails are always so nice after a race!) and i came across this little guy. i originally thought it was a copper head because it was so young and bright but i think i jumped the gun by saying that. I'm guesing a watersnake of some sort. The pic is bad because i took it with the phone and he kept striking it as i tried to take the pic and freaks me out so....not a good photo but enough to identify it. i removed him/her from the trail then.
    Almost looks like a corn snake, but it's hard to tell with as fuzzy as the pic is. At the very least, it's nonvenomous.

W.M.A.
    i say corn snake too... i live 1 mile up the road from the opposite side of the lake and have had one in my yard - looking almost identical to that one - it was a little guy too... they have the marking that look very similar to the coral snake (i believe) that is VERY venemmous - but these guys just look the part...

::EDIT::

after looking here - maybe a milk or water snake...
    http://pawild.net/home/gallery.php?cat_id=97&p=view_cat
    Last edited by shadowflag; 06-12-2006 at 08:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am betting on the Milk Snake. I am no expert but that is my guess.

mtbr member
    its either an eastern milk snake or northern watersnake.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Probably not a corn snake.
    "They are found throughout south-eastern and central North America as well as parts of Mexico."
    "Common Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus guttatus) is prevalent in the southeastern United States and is distinguished by having orange skin with red blotches, the blotches having black borders."

PA isn't really a natural habitat for them. And Corn's have red blotches, almost like spots. In that pic, the snake appears more like it has stripes.

[SIZE=4]Corn Snake Color Morphs[/SIZE]

The one at the very top of the pic looks similar. Except in the pic in question the snake appears yellow/red rather than than orange/red.

My kids have a pet corn snake. It's a cool pet!

mtbr member
    Looks like a water snake to me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've never seen a Northern Water snake with that bright of a cream color and red in it's pattern. They are very common though, and often confused with copperheads, probably because they are so agressive.Maybe if it had just molted, the colors would be bright like that. I'm betting on milk snake.

I dug out my reptile field guide, and the potential is there for it to be a corn snake, depending on where in the state it was found. This guide (which is pretty old) shows corn snakes extending into at least MD and southern PA.

That said, it's more likely that it's an Eastern Milk Snake, which range over the entire state of PA. My field guide mentions that in the northern reaches of its range, it is often mistaken for a copperhead (hint hint).

Some water snakes have similar patterning, but have much duller coloration. It's not likely to be a water snake.

mtbr member
    here is a bigger pic of the lil guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Here's why I believe it's a Milk Snke

See the little patch behind the head in the first picture?

From my Peterson's Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians:
    "A rather slender, strongly blotched snake with a Y shaped or V shaped light patch on the nape"

There's a lot of variation, and this Y or V may be absent, but it's visible in the first picture right behind the head. There's no mention of this patch in the descriptions of the other snakes.