Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm not advocating being a prick; it's just an observation in Wiss. Anywhere else I've ridden it's the reverse- 8 out of 10 people on the trail are friendly or at least cordial...ah the city of brotherly love.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I'm not accusing you or anybody else here that is anti-bridge, however I noticed some obvious anti-bridge graffiti on said bridge during my ride this week. Bridges I can live with, there are still A LOT of technical features in the Wiss, but it's a real bummer to see (and I'm assuming here) riders voicing their derision in the form of vandalism. That kind of response is not going to win us any favors in the future when it comes to the topic of re-routes, ride-arounds and conserving technical features.

If anyone here knows who is responsible, lean on them to make it right with FOW.
    What about that graffiti in any way indicated that it was done by mountain bikers not happy about the bridge? Granted I did not stop and study it, but it looked like garden variety graffiti to me, no different than any of the other graffiti in the Wiss. Seems like a bit of a leap to me to accuse mountain bikers of it.

mtbr member
    Knock on wood.. but people have been pretty friendly to me for the most part. I'm super nice to everyone when I ride there too. At the end of the day, you're always going to get a$$holes no matter what. Kill em with kindness.

mtbr member

Re: What happened to the Wis???

Quote Originally Posted by justriding View Post
    Ban bikes? That might be a little fatalistic. There are already plenty of conflicts back there between cyclists and people, dogs, a cat on leash in a tree at eye level (really), d-bags, role playing COS guys, angry lesbians riding horses, angry hiker guy, angry geese,the group ride from Guy's, space aliens, punk rock squirrels, almost any resident of Chestnut Hill walking in the park with that look on their face like someone next to them farted, etc., and there hasn't been a ban.

As a practical matter there are too many of us to ban; the city doesn't have the resources to enforce a ban; at this point mountain biking in that park has a +20 year history. Its as legit as any other activity and a ban never going to happen. Also, the FOW has been infiltrated by mountain bikers - very Machiavellian thinking by those mountain bikers.
    Older thread but for some reason I reread this and just laughed like crazy! Angry lesbians riding horses exactly described my Saturday! My God city life is weird.

Anyway... there should be a "weird stuff at the Wiss" thread. It can get strange in there. lol

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    They are designed to encourage conflicts between bikes and people. Just wait, once it happens, they will move to ban bikes in the wiss. It is coming, just a matter of time...
    If it's enforced like the permits and the dog leash law, ban away...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

What happened to the Wis???

Is anybody going to ride tomorrow?

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about it. Today was napping weather.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm curious how much rain the trails got over the last two days. I'm hoping to go for an afternoon ride at Belmont or Pennypack (or Wiss). Anybody go out today? Was it muddy?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    i haven't ridden the Wiss as much as i would have liked to this season, but last wed, i did a partial loop, counter clockwise from Cresheim Trail at Allen Ln, finished the chestnut hill side and the entire Roxboro side and then went over to Belmont and did half a loop there. i realized why i haven't ridden belmont so much: apart from Cresheim trail and the south side of lincoln dr, it kinda sucks. Poison ivy is out of control there and the trails are in pretty bad shape. i've never seen erosion as bad as it is right now, between that and the fact that a lot of the corners are blown out, the decent lines erased in favor of the easiest possible route and the trail having grown to at least 8' wide or more throughout the park, the trail is barely recognizable any more.

While i didn't quite hate it, it's really been dumbed down in a bad way and apart from the climbing, isn't all that challenging any more. I don't know what's going on with FOW, but they really seem to be sleeping on their McLeods these days. I wouldn't describe Wissahickon as Philadelphia's MTB Crown Jewel any longer, that's for sure. It's really fallen apart in the few short years that i've ridden there.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    It wasn't so muddy as it was slippery.

I haven't ridden the chestnut hill side in years. From valley green south seems fine though. I definitely agree though that FOW need to get it together. Send out a request for volunteers.. I would help without question! As I'm sure others would too.

mtbr member
    I think anyone who rides at the Wiss would agree that more trail maintenance is needed there. But the causes of that are a lot more complicated than saying FOW is sleeping on their mcleods. They've built some awesome new trail in the past couple years -- down to Kitchen's lane, down from Bluebell, across the Meadow, and Cresheim, some of my favorite trails in the Wiss now. And they do a decent job of clearing treefall.

So they're not sleeping. They just apparently lack the capacity for also battling park-wide trail erosion and clearing sightlines and discouraging shortcuts and the rest. And there's plenty of blame to go around for that. In my opinion, bickering about blame is more problem than solution by this point.

I still love riding in the Wiss. And I believe better days are ahead for trail work there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    It wasn't so muddy as it was slippery.

I haven't ridden the chestnut hill side in years. From valley green south seems fine though. I definitely agree though that FOW need to get it together. Send out a request for volunteers.. I would help without question! As I'm sure others would too.
    Here is a list of upcoming workdays.

Upcoming Workdays | Friends of the Wissahickon

If you want to help build the Cresheim Trail, there are work days every third Saturday. We are finishing up a new half mile section of trail on the September work day. Sign up for the mailing list here.
    http://cresheimtrail.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    . i've never seen erosion as bad as it is right now, between that and the fact that a lot of the corners are blown out, the decent lines erased in favor of the easiest possible route and the trail having grown to at least 8' wide or more throughout the park, the trail is barely recognizable any more.
    Virtually all of the newer (2006 and later) trails are erosion free. After big storms the only damage the new trails suffer is from trees falling. Most of the major gully trails have been closed and replaced with sustainable trails. Two new trails will be built this fall on the Roxy side to replace gully trails. These gullies will be filled in the spring.

The entire trail system at the Andorra Nature Center will have been rerouted or repaired by this fall. A lot of work has been occurring on the Cresheim Trail with a half mile of trail built this summer. Nearly two miles of trail has been built on the Cresheim Trail since 2012.

mtbr member
    Thank you dannmer that wat great information. I'll see when I can come out! Love to be part of this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    They've built some awesome new trail in the past couple years -- down to Kitchen's lane, down from Bluebell, across the Meadow, and Cresheim, some of my favorite trails in the Wiss now.
    Thanks for pointing out the positive. I agree with you, those newer trails are fun. Where exactly is the Cresheim section you are talking about?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrox View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the positive. I agree with you, those newer trails are fun. Where exactly is the Cresheim section you are talking about?
    Do a google maps search for "intersection of Emlen St and Cresheim Rd., Philadelphia." The trails are shown on the map as the Cresheim Trail. My favorite section is the loop on the north side of Cresheim Rd, counterclockwise for the flow. Short and sweet, low hiker traffic.

You can connect this by coming up the trail along Cresheim Creek from VGI, across the steel bridge.

mtbr member
    Will this be connected to the wiss loop?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks Oldman. I typically ride the CH side of the wiss upstream. So I come down the hill, cross cresheim creek, then proceed on the main trail up the hill then down to VG road. If I wanted to get to the loop you are describing from the Creshiem creek crossing, how would I?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrox View Post
    Thanks Oldman. I typically ride the CH side of the wiss upstream. So I come down the hill, cross cresheim creek, then proceed on the main trail up the hill then down to VG road. If I wanted to get to the loop you are describing from the Creshiem creek crossing, how would I?
    If I understand you, then how you get there is that you take the last right before you cross the creek at the steel bridge ("So I come down the hill, cross cresheim creek"). That trail comes out at the intersection of Emlen and Cresheim.

Edit: ignore all that, I think I misunderstood you. You mean you come down that rocky decent (Ton a' Bricks) , do a tight left turn, then cross Cresheim through the stream (then hard climb and down to VGI). Right after you cross the stream, take the trail up to the right instead of going straight up the hill towards VGI. Follow that all the way up to the steel bridge, then left right after the bridge and out to Emlen & Cresheim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am not sure what steel bridge you are talking about. I meant that I take the main trail starting say at the gate at livezey near the blocky looking white house. I typically take this north to creishem creek, then ride across cresheim creek and continue on to VG road. I imagine I should take another trail from the area of where I ride across cresheim creek to get to the loop you talked about. I am just not sure which one to take.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just saw your edit. Gotchya. Thanks! I will check it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannmer View Post
    Two new trails will be built this fall on the Roxy side to replace gully trails.
    It's perverse that the Gorgas down (the legal alternative to Recoil) is the section of trail in the Wiss that's in the worst shape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It's perverse that the Gorgas down (the legal alternative to Recoil) is the section of trail in the Wiss that's in the worst shape.
    That is one of the Roxy sections that is being replaced. Should be happening this fall. Check the FOW web site for updates if you want to help out.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I think anyone who rides at the Wiss would agree that more trail maintenance is needed there. But the causes of that are a lot more complicated than saying FOW is sleeping on their mcleods. They've built some awesome new trail in the past couple years -- down to Kitchen's lane, down from Bluebell, across the Meadow, and Cresheim, some of my favorite trails in the Wiss now. And they do a decent job of clearing treefall.

So they're not sleeping. They just apparently lack the capacity for also battling park-wide trail erosion and clearing sightlines and discouraging shortcuts and the rest. And there's plenty of blame to go around for that. In my opinion, bickering about blame is more problem than solution by this point.

I still love riding in the Wiss. And I believe better days are ahead for trail work there.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannmer View Post
    Virtually all of the newer (2006 and later) trails are erosion free. After big storms the only damage the new trails suffer is from trees falling. Most of the major gully trails have been closed and replaced with sustainable trails. Two new trails will be built this fall on the Roxy side to replace gully trails. These gullies will be filled in the spring.

The entire trail system at the Andorra Nature Center will have been rerouted or repaired by this fall. A lot of work has been occurring on the Cresheim Trail with a half mile of trail built this summer. Nearly two miles of trail has been built on the Cresheim Trail since 2012.

The Cresheim section has become my favorite part of going to Wissahickon, in part because it's more like Belmont than the rest of Wissahickon, but i attribute that to Friends of the Cresheim Trail rather than FoW.
    the rest of it though, is just a lot of damage done by lazy, careless riders who ride in wet conditions and make too many shortcuts that have ruined so much of the trails, particularly on the Roxboro side, where there's also still too much erosion and poison ivy overgrowth.

it's a strange summer when i find that Belmont is better maintained and has less poison ivy than the Wiss. Fortunately, Belmont is hard enough to ride that the people who want it to be easy, stay away and ruin the wiss, instead.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    Will this be connected to the wiss loop?
    If you are referring to the Cresheim Trail, it is connected to the Wissahickon loop via the trail that runs along the Cresheim Creek. Google maps doesn't show the entire trail that runs along the Cresheim Creek between Emlen and Devils Pool.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast