Biker for Life

what to do during the winter

I am 15 years old and i hate cold weather so i never ride during the winter. i am wondering what everyone does during the winter. right now i have been playing bass about 3 hours a day and playing World of Warcraft all night.....if any one wants to make fun of me for playing warcraft go ahead and get it out of your system because i don't really care. many of the popular kids in my school (and yes i am one of them) play WoW. do you guys train, do other sports, or anything. i would like to here
    afk irl

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Quote Originally Posted by konaclump91
    I am 15 years old and i hate cold weather so i never ride during the winter. i am wondering what everyone does during the winter. right now i have been playing bass about 3 hours a day and playing World of Warcraft all night.....if any one wants to make fun of me for playing warcraft go ahead and get it out of your system because i don't really care. many of the popular kids in my school (and yes i am one of them) play WoW. do you guys train, do other sports, or anything. i would like to here
    XC SKI. Cheep and a great workout!, Snowshoe, Ride the bicycle trainer. Spinning class, Hiking, Ice climbing, Ice fishing......Uh wait,....... I guess it's a workout for the fish......lol

Remember sometimes it's just good to do nothing, kinda refreshes your mind. Do whatever you like to do!

It's all good!

[SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    do like the bears and hibernate!?

mtbr member
    you just gotta "man up" and ride in the cold anyways, you will never get used to the cold by sitting indoors. i'm pretty used to the cold by now, anything above 20 degrees feels warm.

Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    you just gotta "man up" and ride in the cold anyways, you will never get used to the cold by sitting indoors. i'm pretty used to the cold by now, anything above 20 degrees feels warm.

Good advice!

I have noticed as I go through the winter I have ridden every Tuesday and Thursday nights religiously and I can say the other night at Hubbard it was 7 degrees F. I also noticed my clothing requirements have been refined to a point where I am cold at the start of the ride and by the end I am sweating and warm as a rooster in a hen house.

It takes dedication to do this, and not miss a night ride, so as advice just keep in mind your own personal goals and remember in the spring you will kill them with your technical abilities and base of training built up over the winter.

In my previous post I forgot to mention that it is very important to get all your school work and activities in order before planning any outside activities. I know that sounds like parental talk, but it is important to understand the things you learn in school will make you a better person in the real world.

Build your goals small and take them on one by one. Don't let anything distract you from what you want to achieve. There have been nights I just didn't feel like doing all the preparation to allow me to complete the ride. From prepping the bike to driving to the ride area and getting out in the cold to begin. Funny thing is though. Once I got to the trails they were like old friends just waiting to show me a great time even though the trails were snow covered and looked different.

It's worth it!
    proformance58@cs.com

40 oz to freedom
    Man up and go outside. I went riding in my usual riding clothes yesterday. Once you get going you don't notice the cold.

I also snowboard (well now I do, I'm hooked after riding today). After my first few runs today I got so hot that I just took my jacket off and rode in snow pants and a long sleeve shirt.

Like I said, the cold isn't bad when you start moving around and actually get used to it.
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

mtbr member
    May 2006
    remember if it is hard to get out during the week because of school work and home duties you can do some training indoors.if you don't have a trainer for the bike try pushups,dips and situps.on the weekend get out and ride or xc ski,snowshoe,run,or hike.this will give you a good base for when the peak season starts.

mtbr member
    Ice-Biking is the $hit!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

mtbr member
    PS2 and you can rent Down Hill domination and become the downhill king you wish you were!

Quote Originally Posted by jkad
    PS2 and you can rent Down Hill domination and become the downhill king you wish you were!
    Jkad:

Do I have to pedal? Or can I use my RM 250?

What are ya do'in? Did it snow there?

Time to build a NEW BIKE bike since we can't freek'in ride in 67 inches of snow!
    proformance58@cs.com

Life is Good
    [QUOTE=konaclump91many of the popular kids in my school (and yes i am one of them) play WoW. [/QUOTE]

I think the best advice anyone can give you is to not give a crap about what the "popular kids" do or don't do. Do what you like man. If you like WoW, then play it (but make sure you log more hours with school and outside stuff than you do with WoW). Pick up some of the advice these guys are laying down and try snow riding, ice climbing, snowboarding, skiing or something like ice hockey... who cares what the "popular kids" do...

You'll find as you get older that the popular kids' opinions don't matter anyways and they never will.

Do what you like and like what you do!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Biker for Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd97
    I think the best advice anyone can give you is to not give a crap about what the "popular kids" do or don't do. Do what you like man. If you like WoW, then play it (but make sure you log more hours with school and outside stuff than you do with WoW). Pick up some of the advice these guys are laying down and try snow riding, ice climbing, snowboarding, skiing or something like ice hockey... who cares what the "popular kids" do...

You'll find as you get older that the popular kids' opinions don't matter anyways and they never will.

Do what you like and like what you do!
    i like the advice but i started playing because i wanted to. im not one to get caught up in what to wear or how my hair should look. im doing everything for me...and the ladies
    afk irl

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by konaclump91
    i like the advice but i started playing because i wanted to. im not one to get caught up in what to wear or how my hair should look. im doing everything for me...and the ladies
    Nice You just had me worried when you mentioned what the "popular kids" do. Forget them!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Biker for Life
    the popular kids at my school are a little different than other places. most of the kids at my school are friends. but i used to live here then moved away then came back and alot of my friends were still really close and they were the ones that everyone wanted to talk to, not because they were popular but because they were just really nice people. so i just started talking to them and now im one of those kids
    afk irl

PM Me for Wood Fenders

Good job!

Get outside. XCountry ski, put on the narliest nobbies you have or get some studded Nokians, just do anything to get outside. My nephew loves to ride in the warm months but becomes a PS2 junkie in the winter. When he finally get's on his pedals and we ride he is the one asking...are you tired yet?
    As far as the popular kids, of course thier popular if they are your friends, but the bottom line, as said already is, ya never have to feel you have to be like anyone. Be try to yourself, family ect. Plus most of the popular ones are just wanna bees anyway...and chicks dig unique.

Biker for Life
    i have been going to my friends house and lifting every other day, then in between the off days we run 2 miles. need to get in shape if i want to start racing this summer
    afk irl

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Konaclump - I have been hitting the climbing gym at least twice a week lately... One hell of a workout and it's a blast... I don't know if you have anything like that around where you are but the people are cool and climbing is awesome... Looking forward to some outdoor climbing this year as well... Won't be long now though my man till were out there pedalling again... I hate riding in the cold too!!! Happy Trails...