mtbr member

western perry county trails?

I was told there are some good trails in western perry county . Does anyone know
    where they are, or someone who could lead me to the trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

let me know if you find some

I've been hunting for years there and still yet to get anyone to chime in on something. Let me know if you find any. I have cabin outside of Blain and would love to find some trails to ride!!!!!

mtbr member
    All those woods and no trails.......I'm not buying it! I read online once about some good trails up there. If I find them I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    go to the Tuscarrora State Forest office, on Rt 274....they have these things called maps.

mtbr member
    Maps? Never heard of them...every time I have used a map from a state forest in PA I
    was bummed.Michaux is a great example,the atv trails are on the map and are fun to ride
    but all of the great single track on the west side of 233 is NOT ON THE MAP!Same thing
    with all the great trails in the Mont Alto section of michaux.I will give it a try.......if it works thanks .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Tell me the last time anyone has seen a decent updated map developed by the DCNR One that shows anything more than well known/heavily traveled trails??

About 2-4 miles west of Blain on 274 (before the ranger station) is a Mennonite owned bike shop. I’ve asked the kid who owns it if he’d recommend any decent trails to ride, but he always pointed me to the fire/access/logging roads.

As for trails up there, sure they’re there. Like I said before, I’ve been hunting there for years (20) and I know miles upon miles of trails. Which valley do you want to know about? Hell, even a ridge outside of Follower’s Hallow has my family’s last name. What I want to know if they’re any legal trails other than the gravel roads in the parks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    the last time.....hmmmm, last year?

both of these rides were done with that awful, awful DCNR map:

http://tomi-mcmillar.blogspot.com/20...ike-these.html

http://tomi-mcmillar.blogspot.com/20...uriousity.html

amazing what's out there if you're willing to work a bit for it....

and regarding maps for Michaux.....that's my backyard. We've (the local clubs/groups) kicked around the idea of making a trail map, but with the ever evolving nature of the forest and the trail system due to the continual logging....the idea got shelved and kinda shot down when we talked to DCNR about it afew years ago. 'cuz if it's on a map, then it's 'official.' And if it's official, then that corridor needs to be taken into consideration/respected when they decide to harvest the trees, which results in more work for all involved. If it's not official, they do their thing, and we clean up the mess after they're done.

Michaux ain't that big, you're really not gonna get that lost. See a trailhead? follow it, learn something new. worst case, you turn around if it fizzles out or end up in somebody's backyard in the valley. Worried about getting 'lost'? don't be, just go downhill and you'll hit either a stream or a road. If you find a stream, go with the flow and it'll eventually lead you to a road. This ain't huge wilderness where you'll wander for days before reaching civilization.

That said, the best maps for the area are the AT maps, use them to get acquainted w/ the lay of the land, then go have an adventure. Also check out the Michaux race series site and download the race course maps, good info on those also.

I'd Rather be Doping
    Aug 2006
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...28753&t=h&z=15

Probably not technically 'legal' but nobody will bother you -

At the end of McCabe's road the trail starts (park and ride in, private road for cabins). It's a spur that will lead you to the Wagonwheel near Flat Rock via Wildcat Hollow. Probably don't ride into the state park area or risk encounter with unfriendly ranger-type folks.

A friend of mine has a camp near there. I haven't rode there, but it always seemed like it would be a great ride.