mtbr member

Western PA Tire Recommendations?

I have a newer wheelset (223's w/XT disc hubs) and just bought a Stan's Kit to convert. I am looking for 2 things:

1. Has anyone run UST tires with non-UST rims converted to Stan's, or should I just run non-UST tires with the rims?

2. Tire recommendations for Western PA? I live right outside of Pittsburgh, and ride in all conditions. Wet, muddy, dry, hardpacked, roots, logs, rocks, etc... What is everyone else riding here in Pittsburgh?

Thanks for your input!

Aaron

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Aaron,

A tried and true "trail" set-up would be a 2.1 Velociraptor rear and a 2.4 Motoraptor front. I don't think that you can beat a Velociraptor for the sandy/loamy/rocky terrain that defines the central/western PA ridges.

Cyclovore
    Velociraptors are nice. If you want a more supple and forgiving tire in the woods go with the Hutchinson Scorpion Gold Elite. It wears quicker, but bites yellow clay better. It also gives more on sharp rock edges, so don't over inflate. I run mine with Stans on 517's. Supergo got them for 19.98 a piece now. Mike
    2,018 ft Elmora,PA

w00t
    where do you guys live? i love around washington pa. if anyone is near there we should ride sometime. sorry to go off topic

Cyclovore
    I sure the hell don't live near Washington, PA, however, I would accept an invitation to ride just about anywhere within the Eastern half of this great nation. Also, I would extenend the same invitation to anyone who would like to ride my neck of the woods. Clink on my name and send an Email.

Andrew WK
    Jul 2004
    i ride... i believe it's the specialized team control up front... best front tire i've ever used. some of the rears i like are: panaracer fire xc pro, wtb velociraptor... but right now i'm running the irc mythos... i think it's just about perfect.