mtbr member

Western PA ride this weekend!

We are making the trek over to PA this weekend to do a little riding. Plan was to hit Allegrippis and Moraine, but not sure how much damage the rain is going to do to our plans. I think we will most likely be alright with the Allegrippis ride on Saturday, but most likely going to have to change up for Sunday. Any recommendations? Needs to be near Pittsburgh or Ohio border if possible.
    Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    You're looking a little too far west for me to give advice on trails, but I will say this: keep an eye on the weather. Where I live (20 miles east of Pittsburgh) we're in a pretty extended pattern where LOTS of systems keep missing us just to the north and west. I know they keep forecasting rain for Sat and Sun, but looking at the system and how it is tracking I am convinced that we'll be right on the edge, esp if you are willing to head further east toward Laurel Mt (Forbes) or 7S or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    North Park near Pittsburgh is a great place to ride but your original plans for Moraine may be best. Been a while since I've been over to Moraine but it is very rocky and technical. Holds up well to wetter conditions, more so than North Park. Another place north of rt 80 is Kennerdell. I've never ridden there but everyone I've met that has says it's a great place to ride. Need to get up there someday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Also south of Pittsburgh is Bavington (Hillman State Park). It is only open to riding on Sundays now that hunting season has started. Make sure you get a good map and prepare to get lost. Best bet is to hit the Haul Rd parking lot and ask other riders for recommendations on routes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I should also mention Brady's Run County Park near Beaver PA, another place that drains very well but the Month of Mud race is being held there on Sunday.

I think you can register the day of the race if you're interested.

2012 Race Schedule « Month of Mud

October 7th, 2012 Brady’s Run County Park, Beaver Falls, PA 15010

-Multiple lap cross country mountain bike race.

-Registration starts at 8:00 AM and closes promptly at 9:30 AM.

-All classes start at 10:00 AM.

Directions: From RT 60 (Chippewa exit), follow 51 south approximately 2.5 miles. Park is on the right. Registration and race will start at horse rink just past ice skating rink.

mtbr member
    Agree with the above poster that Moraine holds up pretty good in the wet. Check out Moraine. The wood might be slippery but the rocks (there are lots, lots, and lots of rocks) stay nice and grippy if they're damp.

BTW: Don't miss the North Country Brewery for beers & food after the ride.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NeOhMb View Post
    North Park near Pittsburgh is a great place to ride but your original plans for Moraine may be best. Been a while since I've been over to Moraine but it is very rocky and technical. Holds up well to wetter conditions, more so than North Park. Another place north of rt 80 is Kennerdell. I've never ridden there but everyone I've met that has says it's a great place to ride. Need to get up there someday.
    What's North Park like? My mom lives about 10 minutes from there in Shaler Township. I grew up there and rode the trails a few times probably 18 years ago, but I don't really remember much about it. I've seen youtube vids of the "freeride" area, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    +1 for Moraine if it's wet. So many rocks that mud doesn't stand a chance. Wear armor if you have it, most of the terrain is pretty friendly, but there are some areas that have a fair price for failure.

Ninja, if you haven't been to North Park in a long time you should check it out. There are miles of nice twisty singletrack that were not there 10 or even 5 years ago. You can ride a 30 mile mega loop and still not hit everything. It has really come a long way in the last few years.

Dave

mtbr member
    Moraine definitely held up well with the rain. The wood was damp, but the rocks were fairly grippy! Although the leaves did hide quite a few of the rocks! As for the armor, we could have used some! We took a couple nasty spills, but only major damage was to the bikes! I will definitely head back when we have more time; I would like to get some revenge on a few of those boulders!
    Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011