Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The White Jeff W

Western PA represent

People are gonna think this is the Eastern PA forum for chrissakes

I live a short ride from Brady's Run & wanted to ride something different so I rode Moraine Saturday. The trails were in surprisingly good shape. There's still snow on the ground up there but the trails are 90% clear. I started to check out the new downhill section but the sun was getting low & I figured I'd better start heading back. Great ride

On the way there I stopped at Brush Creek for an easy XC warm up ride. A little muddy in a few spots but for the most part it was good.

Life is Good
    I live near Latrobe, but I didn't go riding on Saturday

Was thinking about going up to Laurel Mtn, but I figured the trails would be a mess.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Hermit
    Western PA rider here. Actually an Ohio resident, but close enough to the state line that I do a large part of my riding in PA.

Was hoping to ride at Moraine on Sunday, but with the rain coming down pretty solid I decided to stay home (probably the wrong decision).

Hoping to get some daylight hours off work this week and spend a couple hours out there riding.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Rode frick park sat morning still some ice in spots didnt get very muddy either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That's why I posted our Saturday ride at Roaring Run, figured it's time for us WPA guys to step up. Last couple of weeks have been so crappy weather wise I didn't bother. Here's one from the Butler - Freeport Trail a couple of weeks ago when the snow was too deep to ride in the woods. The rail trail wasn't too good either.

Dave

IM000933

mtbr member
    Live near Johnstown. Haven't been on the trails lately due to a combination of snow and rain making the trails soupy and unrideable.

mtbr member
    another western pa rider here! i've only rode twice so far this year and most of my riding has been on the road. i'm itching to ride Apollo or Springs but the way the weather has been that's not going to happen for a while.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Back home after a 7 year stint in WV. Now in Westmont (Johnstown). Pleased to see all the new trails at Laurel Mountain. Took a few rides to get re-oriented. Would like to get over to Raystown when spring rolls around again. Went to Blue Knob once since being back, but that was for a day of snowboarding. Also looking forward to a spin around Mingo when visiting the parents in Monongahela. Still spend most of my mtbr time in the WV/VA forum due to all of the close friends there. Besides, I don't really need to read about Moon Lake on a daily basis.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ligonier resident here......Laurel Mtn is still a sheet of ice. I checked it out Monday AM in the hopes that all the rain and snowmelt had opened something....no. Perhaps with studs you could ride it. Way slick/icy. The coupla inches of snow per night on the mtn top will likely have the XC ski crew back in force. Heading to Ray's this weekend....

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckaloe
    Ligonier resident here.......
    By chance, do you happen to know Jeff the chiropractor in Ligonier? He's an ol' bud from high school. Love Ruthie's Diner, Fat Daddy's, and of course the Pie Shoppe in Laughlintown.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Davis,
    No, I don't know Jeff. It's a small town however. I'm sure to run into him sooner or later. Nearly every one of the establishments you mention is the beginning or ending of a ride on Laurel Mtn. Bull's Tavern has some outrageous cheesesteaks, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Anf

RIding is great on the ANF outside Warren right now!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg66
    That's why I posted our Saturday ride at Roaring Run, figured it's time for us WPA guys to step up. Last couple of weeks have been so crappy weather wise I didn't bother. Here's one from the Butler - Freeport Trail a couple of weeks ago when the snow was too deep to ride in the woods. The rail trail wasn't too good either.

Dave

IM000933
    That is an excellent picture.

mtbr member
    I usually take Monday/Tuesday off so I have the parks pretty much to myself, I live in the Strip District with plenty of trails close enough to mountain bike daily and when not on the dirt I have miles of rails and trails a block from my front door when I want to go pedal around and not worry about traffic.

Frick, NP, Moraine, Riverview, 7 springs.... even Snowshoe is only a few hours away

I am pretty happy in Western pa.... Ray's should be in the Strip and a few more trails with logs, rocks, jumps, drops and berms is all it needs

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    By chance, do you happen to know Jeff the chiropractor in Ligonier? He's an ol' bud from high school. Love Ruthie's Diner, Fat Daddy's, and of course the Pie Shoppe in Laughlintown.
    Ruthie's!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by fat guy
    RIding is great on the ANF outside Warren right now!

Looks great. I've got a long history of backpacking & kayaking over that way and would love to get on some Nat'l Forest trails with the mtb. Do you mostly ride Morrison & Rimrock, or do some of those barely-heard-of trails over there actually exist? It would be great to get a couple of leads to explore...

How much snow did the trails get during the Feb. 6 blizzard?

Thanks!

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Another Western PA rider just out of hibernation-

From Uniontown--hit up Quebec Run and Big Bear as much as I can. Keep hoping for something to develop at Ohiopyle.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    People are gonna think this is the Eastern PA forum for chrissakes

I live a short ride from Brady's Run & wanted to ride something different so I rode Moraine Saturday. The trails were in surprisingly good shape. There's still snow on the ground up there but the trails are 90% clear. I started to check out the new downhill section but the sun was getting low & I figured I'd better start heading back. Great ride

On the way there I stopped at Brush Creek for an easy XC warm up ride. A little muddy in a few spots but for the most part it was good.
    You mean this isn't the NE forum?... JUST KIDDING!

Good to see our other coast neighbors all fired up and hitting the dirt! Keep the good stuff coming!!!!!!

ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    As an east coast transplant living in Colorado, it's good to see things picking up back home. There is so much potential.

Might even have to make an appearance this summer and ride the loop at Bradys Run again a couple times. I miss the wet roots, short climbs, and mud quite a bit living out in the Rockies.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I live South of Butler. Ride Hartwood Acres, North Park, Moraine, and Alameda. Anybody know of a weekly group ride at any of those places? Recently moved back to the area and need to get OUT.

Thanks.

Hermit
    Old, sick and overworked, nonetheless I managed to head over to Moraine to check on trail conditions yesterday (3/11/10). There's still snow left in the woods, but only about 5% of the trail had snow on it. Add to that maybe 20% that had standing water or was saturated and you still had enough rideable trail to make my day. Bottom line: it's gonna rain Friday and Saturday at least, so the snow should be almost gone, but the trails are still going to have large wet areas. If you're a conscientious rider you could fit in a ride without destroying the trails but it's gonna mean getting off and walking the bike past some wet patches. The loops near the Mt. Union parking area should be the most solid - the big loop is likely to have some serious bogs in a couple of areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpXu1F-UW10

Have fun and be kind to the singletrack.

Steve Z
    Last edited by swampboy62; 03-12-2010 at 05:44 AM.
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

The White Jeff W
    Wow, thanks Steve. That's good news. If the sun comes out for a few days next week....

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Nice video, looks like a cool spot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Might go out sunday to rake in a section and see how the new trails handled the winter. Should be interesting to see how the new DH holds up under the soggy spring conditions.

If anyone is riding moraine and they come up to a mud hole feel free to pile rocks off the trail at that specific location and i will stop and rock armor throughout the spring. Big flat rocks are preferable to small or oblong. Piles of rocks help me out big time as i dont have to spend time searching.

also please let me know about downed tree's as the thaw is sure to loosen some up.

I will post up how the trail looks if i can get out.

Hermit
    I will definitely help out with some rock piles, then. My schedule has gone all to hell so that my free time is a rarity and making it to a trail work day is unlikely. But when I'm there I'll be sure to pick some spots and collect up a pile or two.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast