Ride da mOOn Moderator

Listen! West Pittston Bicycle Tour

It was long overdue...

... other towns have their trails and hideaways, and traveling all around is a great way to see and discover historical facts and sites. Sometimes we get all wrapped up in "What's over there" and forget "What's right outside our door"

West Pittston also has off the beaten path places and tons of history! So, with a few hours to kill the MTB with camera in hand was the way to go. I just wonder what my neighbors though of my riding around taking pics of everything? Ahh... doesn't matter as they are used to the regular Mt bike or Moto trips always leaving from the house, and what the heck the website could always use another new page, and a totally different kind at that! Lots of history overlays will be added as time goes on, this is just the start of the fun.

You'll have to chase the cat though, lots more to see over here:
    http://nepmtba.piczo.com/westpittsto...linkvar=000044
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails West Pittston Bicycle Tour-imag0441.jpg  

Did you ever have ham?

West Pittston Bicycle Tour

Awesome pics! It is very interesting to see some of the historical features outside our doors. Like you said, sometimes we get so caught up in what is over there we forget about right here. Case in point, when I lived in Jim Thorpe! I plan on doing alot of exploring down there this summer!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Jason
    Terrific photos! I'm in West Wyoming and often ride the rail road tracks into West Pittson and ride the small section of Sullivans trail that follows the river north along State Route 92. I just wish Sullivans trail was rideable for a further distance. I'm not sure about proceeding past the first two houses you come to on the left once you get up the trail so far. Anyway, here's a photo I took one day after attempting to enter the trail through the tunnel by the train bridge. I grew up in this area and have ridden through this same area 100's of times in my life. For some reason the tunnel wanted no part of me on this particular day and this photo is proof of how things ened up. I went o.t.b. on the small downslope at the end of the tunnel and landed on my lid. Good thing I got a new helmet the day prior. If anyone ever wants to ride this area, let me know. I'm all for it.

My beater y3 after I went o.t.b.
    Jason

Blue Pig
    Now that's a bike strutting!

mtbr member

Nice.....

Pics /post and history lesson, Thanks........have not been over to that area many times.....never with the Mt.Bike....will plan on a hike up Campbells Ledge at some point this spring when it is to wet to ride.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

WOW...

I don't know if it was you the other day, but I did see a mt bike parked below the bridge. Lucky you didn't break your neck. That drop is a whole bunch to get down on a 29er! When I was a kid I used to ride to the tunnel along the railroad tracks, walk through it and up onto the Coxton bridge then cross to ride or hike up Campbell's Legde. The Coxton bridge had a gangway that was wide enough to ride even if a train was coming. Really cool till someone burned it.

The rail bed(West PIttston & Exeter railroad) you speak of ran to the old coal fire power plant along way up Rt 92 near what we all used to call Power plant turn, nasty curve in an auto if ya didn't slow down. There is great fishing there since the outflow of water from the old plant used to dump right into the river hence creating a huge hole where the Catfish gather at night to feed. I have pulled huge fish out of there. Catfish over 2 feet long! The rail bed is still there and you can follow it but grown in really bad, except where quads have used it keeping it open. Would be a nice rail trail if someone chose to make it so. Following the river back there is very scenic!

Gotta get together for a ride!

Jeff: Let me know I can show you around the Ledge sometime lots to ride us there, including the Duryea swamps trails who are owned by my friend Ralph. We used to fish, ride, and camp back there when we were kids.

I'll see if I can dig up some old pics

Fun times!

Jason
    Nah, it wasn't me. I haven't been through that area in a few months looking forward to getting back out there. Duryea swamps trails are great but I don't go through them too often because I know they're private property and fines aren't something I like to have to pay. Although, I have been through them a few times and they're good fun. Lots of interesting swamp life to photograph. Cambells ledge is a blast but my lungs don't permit me to ride up the the hill just off of Coxton Rd. I usually have to hike up to the top before riding. Awesome area though. I just wish there was some way of cleaning up all the trash people leave behind. Get in touch with me if you ever want to ride.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good post. West Pittston is of course a good place to peddle. It is rich by its monuments & greenaries. A cycling tour there will really be interesting & adventurous.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzie01
    Good post. West Pittston is of course a good place to peddle. It is rich by its monuments & greenaries. A cycling tour there will really be interesting & adventurous.
    Great first post and welcome here to MTBR!

Yes, I think all towns have something to offer if ya just look around, even from the old stories they contain, to interesting structures and history. I just happened to pick WP, but the tour does include the surrounding towns also. All viewable by bicycle makes it that much better.

ride