Jason

West Pittston 3-8-2010

I rode to West Pittston today via the rairoad tracks from West Wyoming. Here's some pics. Very Muddy... to say the least.

Pump track along the river in West Pittston. Looks like the high river water washed most of the terrain away.

I was suprised to find these maple buckets hanging on the trees near the river on 92 by the train bridge.

Mud

My tires were unable to clear themselves. I lost traction pretty fast.

The mud was almost a foot deep at this point in spots. Fine for the atv's that kept passing me. Not good for me.

I gave up at this point and rode back to 92 and headed north to the train bridge.

Tunnel under the train bridge looking north. I turned back at this point. The mud was way to deep.
    Jason

ride more
    Mar 2007
    looks like a muddy adventure.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Nice stuff!

The old pump track has been ridden and rebuilt by genertions of kids from way back in the 70s, I can't believe it just keeps coming back and it just survives. There are so many amazing stories at that place! I wish I still had my Patterson Brothers chromo BMX frame!

That river mud is really thick this time of the year, but it was good to see you tried it! Did you ever follow that railbad all the way to the old power plant property?

Thanks for the pics and story!

ride

Jason
    I use to ride that track myself back in the late 80's early 90's lots of good times. The furthest I've been up tha trail is where the first house is once you're up past the train bridge. I'm not sure it the property owners would have a hissy fit if they saw me riding back there. It's not really clear to me where their property line ends or if they are the kind of people that mind the occasional mtb riding through. I'd love to travel further but...
    Jason

Did you ever have ham?
    Yup, I was out on the moto on Sunday in the area. One word....QUAQMIRE!!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Jason
    Here's another photo that I forgot to iclude in my original post. It was taken in the Black Desert. This area is in good shape and very rideable. I may spend some time down there before the weather gets crapy again.

Jason

Jason
    Forgot to mention... I switched to Shimanao hydros and may never go back to mechanical again.
    Jason

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30
    Forgot to mention... I switched to Shimanao hydros and may never go back to mechanical again.
    Nice upgrade!

Jason
    I upgraded and replaced a lot of parts over the winter. All the mods can be seen in my profile under "Bike setup." I swapped most of what's listed semi recently. Next I need a new fron derailleaur... badly. My current fron derailleaur is locked into position because it's useless.
    Jason

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    dex, if you run a 2x9 drivetrain get the shimano slx 665 front deraulleur. it's specific to 2x9 and gives you more crud clearance. I've run mine with 22x32, 22x34, 24x36, and 24x38 up front and it's all good. I also run "DH" or "singlespeed" rings up front with a stainless granny so that it all lasts longer. If you still have a triple up front then ditch the pie plate and put on a bash guard with the 665. ;^)

Jason
    Thanks bear! I'm running 2x8 but I see no reason why the slx 665 wouldn't work. Technically I'm still running 3 spd. up front. I took the large chain ring and ground all the teeth of it and put it back on, lol. I never used it and I figured it would make for sliding over obstacles a little easier. I'm cheap like that. :-)

You should be able to see what I'm talking about in this link.
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/dexter30/3-7-2010/DSC05488.jpg
    Last edited by dexetr30; 03-09-2010 at 06:38 AM.
    Jason

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    dex, that's a perfect solution to a bash guard. It's how I started in fact, but even those wear out eventually.

The 665 should still work for you. The 8-speed chain is a few mm wider than the 9 speed so it may or may-not rub a bit - just take your time setting it up and it should be okay though.