mtbr member

Wellsboro Riding

I have a meeting in Wellsboro on Thursday, June 5th. I am looking for some single track 10+ miles to ride that early evening. Needs to be something that won't be interferred with by the car rally going on. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ashlon.

If you are ever done in WV (Davis/Elkins) I have suggestions for here.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I plan on spectating at STPR this year, for the first time in 6 years (the last five I've been on the crew side, wrenching for RalliSpec and North Coast Subaru). But it looks good for thursday at Asaph (see the trail review here at mtbr, and stop in at the local bike store for a map.... they are just a few doors down from the gaslight right there "downtown").

http://www.stpr.org/

The schedule states that the only possible occurance that day in the Asaph area would be recce, which is done on open roads at legal speed limits, in normal cars. Having said that, you might want grab a spectator guide on thursday morning to make sure no stages are located near the mtb trails, as some drivers can get a little crazy on recce runs.

I plan on bringing my bike and riding on sunday morning, before heading back home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Asaph Classic

Go to Country Ski and Sport, right on main st in Wellsboro. Ask them for a map and directions to Asaph. I just rode there for the 1st time Thursday. Great single track 12 or so miles. 3-4 miles west of town on route 6. You park at the USGS fish research lab.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9521
    Go to Country Ski and Sport, right on main st in Wellsboro. Ask them for a map and directions to Asaph. I just rode there for the 1st time Thursday. Great single track 12 or so miles. 3-4 miles west of town on route 6. You park at the USGS fish research lab.
    You don't have to park there. I've ridden those trails and I drove the access dirt road all the way to the top and parked.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VWMTBScott
    You don't have to park there. I've ridden those trails and I drove the access dirt road all the way to the top and parked.
    I wish I'd listened to this advice. I rode the killer fireroad up, and the monster logging road down... I'd say a good 8 miles of my 16 mile ride were these totally boring sections.

Take this advice, drive to the top and skip the climb/decent... they aren't worth it.

mtbr member
    Just rode these trails yesterday here is the scoop on conditions ( for those who maintain them)

2 big trees down on darling road trail and a tree across where pipeline crosses deer trail
    some minor tree limbs on plantation

these trails are really wet and muddy but fun! I just wish my singlespeed was geared right lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wow I bought a guitar in that village of Asaph about a month ago. Drove right past the fish research place. I wondered if there was some riding up in those hills , now I know!. The guy said the research station was chosen because of the quality of the water there. He also said it screwed up everyone's wells in the area!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdg157
    Just rode these trails yesterday here is the scoop on conditions ( for those who maintain them)

2 big trees down on darling road trail and a tree across where pipeline crosses deer trail
    some minor tree limbs on plantation

these trails are really wet and muddy but fun! I just wish my singlespeed was geared right lol
    That was the problem I had, I had a GF Rig at the time, but the gearing sure wasn't suited for the riding there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarswheelies
    Wow I bought a guitar in that village of Asaph about a month ago. Drove right past the fish research place. I wondered if there was some riding up in those hills , now I know!. The guy said the research station was chosen because of the quality of the water there. He also said it screwed up everyone's wells in the area!
    If you get a chance, stop in to that fish cultural station some big beautiful fish there to see, and some hot girls working there too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I didn't hear about the beautiful girl part! Fish are pretty cool though, I look into the creek every morning on the way to my car and see trout, ducks, muskrats occasionally..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarswheelies
    I didn't hear about the beautiful girl part! Fish are pretty cool though, I look into the creek every morning on the way to my car and see trout, ducks, muskrats occasionally..
    Yeah I can't remember what school most of them go but they are stationed there as part of an education program.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Asaph would be good, might want to try denton

I just rode denton last week. The ski lifts are only open on weekends, but you can bike on the trails when the place is closed. There are some smaller "north shore" style wooden stuff, and some awesome steep singletrack, if you are into that kind of stuff, but it's a killer climb to the top of the mountain. There are also some more cross-country style trails, but there are probably better places for that, like Asaph. I would recommend Asaph, unless you want to try some wooden stuff of wild single track like I did, then it's worth the climb to the top of the mountain. I was told that many times someone is around there, even when it's closed. I found a guy working there who gave me a trail map. (By the way, I went back there on Saturday. It was my first time biking at a ski resort, and was my best day of mountain biking yet.)