Thread: Wellsboro ??

mtbr member

Wellsboro ??

I will be in Wellsboro tomorrow (Sun 8/12) and was wondering about any info on some great trails. I read up on the Asaph trails in which a fall MTB race is run on. Are the trails at that location marked or do I have to keep figuring it out looking at a the map I downloaded ? I want to definitely hit that. I did the Pine Creek rail trail already a few years back, but am looking at singletrack this time. I read about a "Deer Path" trail and a "Bee" trail but really have no clue about specifics.. I know there is a bike shop in town but it will be Sunday and I don't know their hours. If anyone is gonna be riding in that area Sunday let me know maybe I can get a tour of a couple spots if my schedule could match up or just post some info and I'll trail blaze on my own.. Thanks !!

Barry
    Last edited by bwargula; 08-11-2007 at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    > I did the Pine Creek rail trail already a few years back, but am looking at singletrack this time.

Pine Creek rail trail is not single track, it's a rail trail, pretty wide open and flat, ... old railroad grade.

> I read up on the Asaph trails in which a fall MTB race is run on. Are the trails at that location marked or do I have to keep figuring it out looking at a the map I downloaded ?

Minimal if any markings. last I was there was three years ago, might have changed, because the race (www.twistedspokes.org) has given the route some publicity.

> I read about a "Deer Path" trail and a "Bee" trail but really have no clue about specifics..

I think you're talking about the Bee Tree trail, it's a XC ski trail. Trailhead starts at a curve off the access road to Colton Point State Park. Last time I was on it (3 years ago) easy riding first few miles, but further into it, lots of blow down and dead fall from trees on narrow rocky single track, appeared not much maintanance, but could have changed in that time. Deep Path doesn't sound familiar, you might mean "Turkey Path', which is a trail from the top of Leonard Harrison SP down to Pine Creek in the gorge, closed to MTBing (steep with switchbacks, narrow bridges and wooden steps, nice short hike though).

Maps for Bee Tree Ski Trail are available from the State Forest office south of Wellsboro on Rt 287 near Nessmuk Lake. Sorry this is too late to help.