Where? Looks cool!

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer9
    Where? Looks cool!
    Green Lane Park. Near Quakertown PA.
    5 minutes from my house

mtbr member
    I was there 2 weeks ago. The orange trail sucks over by where it meets the Perkiomen trail. What trail are you on where it is nice smooth singletrack?

tlg
    I was there 2 weeks ago. The orange trail sucks over by where it meets the Perkiomen trail. What trail are you on where it is nice smooth singletrack?
    The first two are the Blue trail. But it's not all smooth singletrack.
    The last two are the Orange trail. The orange trail is great. It has smooth singletrack as well as rocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    The first two are the Blue trail. But it's not all smooth singletrack.
    The last two are the Orange trail. The orange trail is great. It has smooth singletrack as well as rocks.

I like the blue trail but it gets really muddy after the main fishing area. I have never ridden the orange trail. I will have to give it a shot this weekend!

tlg
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I like the blue trail but it gets really muddy after the main fishing area. I have never ridden the orange trail. I will have to give it a shot this weekend!
    Beware of the Orange trail. It has been really muddy for a few weeks. Some parts are un-rideable now. Equestrians have been tromping through the muddy areas, and now parts are destroyed. There are hoof prints several inches deep all on top of each other. This was at the lower point of the trail. It will probably be this way for several weeks untill we get a dry spell. I had to turn around and ride the higher point which is more on a hill. This was dry.

The Blue trail usually isn't muddy. Which part are you talking about? The fishing area at the trailhead (the bridge on Knight road)? Or the boat launch?

mtbr member
    I was in the low area and saw the massive prints too. The rocks combined with mud just sucked. I had no time to fool around so I just went out and rode along on the perkiomen trail. Are the rocks as bad on the blue trail asthey are on the orange? I heard the red trail is quite good too.

tlg
    I was in the low area and saw the massive prints too. The rocks combined with mud just sucked. I had no time to fool around so I just went out and rode along on the perkiomen trail. Are the rocks as bad on the blue trail asthey are on the orange? I heard the red trail is quite good too.
    The blue trail is longer than the orange. It has about as much rocks but they're spread out more. Logs too. The blue has more technical riding and a few steep dangerous spots.

The red trail is good. Easier than the blue and orange. No rocks. All singletrack.
    All three trails connect to each other. From the orange you can connect to the blue. And at the end of the blue you can connect to the red. And vice versa.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Beware of the Orange trail. It has been really muddy for a few weeks. Some parts are un-rideable now. Equestrians have been tromping through the muddy areas, and now parts are destroyed. There are hoof prints several inches deep all on top of each other. This was at the lower point of the trail. It will probably be this way for several weeks untill we get a dry spell. I had to turn around and ride the higher point which is more on a hill. This was dry.

The Blue trail usually isn't muddy. Which part are you talking about? The fishing area at the trailhead (the bridge on Knight road)? Or the boat launch?
    If you park near the scenic overlook and take the blue trail to where it comes out on the road you will be near the rangers office (where you get fishing permits). Then you go up the road a little and can cut back (right) into the woods. This area was really muddy the last time I was there.

The red trail is nice. Not difficult but nice to just ride. The blue trail is a bit more difficult but still lots of fun.

tlg
    If you park near the scenic overlook and take the blue trail to where it comes out on the road you will be near the rangers office (where you get fishing permits). Then you go up the road a little and can cut back (right) into the woods. This area was really muddy the last time I was there.

The red trail is nice. Not difficult but nice to just ride. The blue trail is a bit more difficult but still lots of fun.
    Ok, I know where you're talking about. I've never noticed that part being muddy. Maybe you were there right after a rain.

If you continue past the rangers office, you'll be at the boat launch. If you go past the boat launch and through the parking lot, there is an access road which connects back up to the blue trail.

Do you know the blue trial actually has two trails which parallel each other (from the boat launch to the opposite end)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok, I know where you're talking about. I've never noticed that part being muddy. Maybe you were there right after a rain.

If you continue past the rangers office, you'll be at the boat launch. If you go past the boat launch and through the parking lot, there is an access road which connects back up to the blue trail.

Do you know the blue trial actually has two trails which parallel each other (from the boat launch to the opposite end)?
    Actually I did not know that. What other ridding places do you know of in the area? I like green lane because it is less crowded than the Wisahickon. Any other local spots?

mtbr member
    I wasn't. Somebody rode through not long before me though. Which boat launch?

tlg
    Actually I did not know that. What other ridding places do you know of in the area? I like green lane because it is less crowded than the Wisahickon. Any other local spots?
    I don't know of anywhere else in the area with anything decent. Green Lane is in my backyard and yea it's never crowded. I rarely see other bikers. Other than that, for me it's Jim Thorpe.

If you ever want a riding partner in Green Lane let me know.

tlg
    I wasn't. Somebody rode through not long before me though. Which boat launch?
    These pics should give you a better idea. They're not exactly correct but pretty close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't know of anywhere else in the area with anything decent. Green Lane is in my backyard and yea it's never crowded. I rarely see other bikers. Other than that, for me it's Jim Thorpe.

If you ever want a riding partner in Green Lane let me know.
    Thanks, I might take you up on that!

mtbr member
    I would but I have one. My annoying little brother. How long is the blue trail?

tlg
    I would but I have one. My annoying little brother. How long is the blue trail?
    I've never measured the whole thing at once. I was gonna say about 8mi. Then I checked on the map and it measures about 9mi. So somewhere in that range I'd say. It rides like it's about 15mi though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've never measured the whole thing at once. I was gonna say about 8mi. Then I checked on the map and it measures about 9mi. So somewhere in that range I'd say. It rides like it's about 15mi though.
    I have a green lane map and they mention that the blue trail is ~6.2 miles. However, when I have ridden the whole thing it is longer, closer to the 9 miles you mention. And yes, my average speed was only 7.5 miles and hour on that trail - but it sure is fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was going to try the red trail tommorow Should I go south from the Knight rd lot?

tlg
    Quote Originally Posted by mivo
    I was going to try the red trail tommorow Should I go south from the Knight rd lot?
    There are 2 lots on Knight Rd. There is a large lot where Knight Rd intersects with Rt. 29. And there is a smaller lot where the Knight Rd bridge crosses over the reservoir. Actually there are two small lots on either side of the bridge. One (at Ward Rd) is at the trailhead for the blue trail, the other is at the trailhead for the red trail.

It doesn't really matter where you park. One lot is at one end, and the other lot is at the other end.

tlg
    Thanks, I might take you up on that!
    Are you still planning on riding GL this weekend? I was thinking about heading up to Jim Thrope but have to much going on to get up there. So I'll probably ride at GL on Saturday. Let me know if you want to meet up.

mtbr member
    I ended up going today. Didn't plan on it. I went on the Orange Trail today but a different part of it. Much better. It has a nice rolling drop. I got a little bit of air off of it.

tlg
    I ended up going today. Didn't plan on it. I went on the Orange Trail today but a different part of it. Much better. It has a nice rolling drop. I got a little bit of air off of it.
    I went on Saturday. The Orange was still really muddy, so I rode the Blue. Turned out it was muddy too. By the way, I measured the blue, it's 10miles.

I found the map too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    I went Sunday. it was mostly dry. We got to a really muddy stretch so we turned around (We had to turn around anyway)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast