mtbr member
    Nov 2010

A wee bit o' dirt jumping at the wiss

Went to the little rec area off lincoln drive. Not gonna lie, took some spills and had some close calls, but overall had a good time with my new dirt jumper. Only downsides were there were too many leaves (duuh), and I would have been more comfortable if there was more of a run off after the jumps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A wee bit o' dirt jumping at the wiss-148874_896521137373_8230332_46510464_3348450_n.jpg  

A wee bit o' dirt jumping at the wiss-148874_896521142363_8230332_46510465_4629914_n.jpg  

A wee bit o' dirt jumping at the wiss-148874_896521147353_8230332_46510466_7416197_n.jpg  

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Looks like a cool place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    that is great dude...

showcase illegal riding with pictures on the internet along with buildings in the background that can show anyone with park knowledge EXACTLY where the spot is.

please go to www.phillymtb.org and red about all the ***** we are going through right now cause of an illegal trail. then please think a little harder before the next time you want to post pictures of illegal stunts on illegal trails to the internet.

****DISCLAIMER****
    PMBA does not in anyway endorse or condone this crap...
    ****DISCLAIMER****

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Even though the OP is clearly a jackass with a "dirt jump" mountain bike, these types of areas have been getting built and bulldozed virtually every year somewhere in the wiss. usually by kids local to the area that ride BMX bikes. Unfortunately the presence of wheels larger than 20" in these illegal areas has given the anti-mountain bike factions some leverage.

Too much blame and enforcement responsibility is being placed on user groups instead of being handled by those who get paid to do it. How many years do I have to buy a trail use pass before I see a ranger walk up to one of these areas and break some balls ? Or write a ticket for one of the hundreds of off leash dogs I see on a summer saturday ? Its literally been 20 years and I've never seen either happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    wow, you guys make it seem like I was being malicious and knew that this was an illegal trail... When you see jumps while riding your bike, don't you want to give them a try? I know I do. Maybe the problem with the mtb community is people casting judgment before they know what the hell they are talking about. Maybe that's why there isn't a cohesive opinion or a sense of real community.

mtbr member
    You probably will never see a ticket given for an off-leash dog or riding without a permit but in most places (including Wiss) our right to mountain bike is a privilege and we need to behave as such. Part of this includes being aware of where you ride and doing a little research before you post something that brings negative attention to the sport.

Given the recent issues in the Wiss posting pics as the OP did was not a good idea.

If he didn't know he does now.

chk-chk-boom
    By looking at two of the pictures you can figure out exactly where this is. Its not exactly hidden in the winter.

Good on you for going out and riding, Bad on you for posting pics of an illegal "trail"
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Lesson learned. oops?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cicatrix
    wow, you guys make it seem like I was being malicious and knew that this was an illegal trail... When you see jumps while riding your bike, don't you want to give them a try? I know I do. Maybe the problem with the mtb community is people casting judgment before they know what the hell they are talking about. Maybe that's why there isn't a cohesive opinion or a sense of real community.
    I hear ya and understand what you're saying. Sometimes its a matter of perspective. I happen to know that its been an issue for a long time so i don't go near that spot. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I rode the jump trails in the wiss on my bmx bike back in like 90-92. I grew up near there. Even then, no one that looked to be an authority figure ever said anything to us. Now I know better.

There's definitely a tight community of riders centered around the Wiss. Which is a good thing. But I think the visability of all the volunteers makes us an easy target. Every time somebody on a bike does something wrong it becomes a PMBA/IMBA issue. I'd welcome a little more presence from the rangers. It would take 5 minutes of education for them to know what is and isn't approved trail construction. Us riders can't post a guard in the park 24/7.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Uhh I ride the Wiss every now and again and actually used to live up the street from Lincoln drive I don't know where that location is......
    Guess I need to go explore some more.