W.M.A.

Wednesday After Work Rides - Chester County

hi all...

i am a relative newbie and have committed myself to getting out on wednesday evenings after work (6pm).

my office is in coatesville and i live in exton - so far i have ridden marsh creek and WCU south campus. would like to stay within that proximity to get the most riding time before sunset (i dont have lights).

le0p form the forums has joined me on these rides and im looking to see if anyone else is interested in joining.

as i said i am a relative newbie but think i can hold my own pretty well so far - but id welcome the challange of trying to hang with more exepereinced riders too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i dunno if it still happens but there used to be a big mtb ride outta downingtown on wednesday nights...

i believe they leave from the victory brew pub.

ifyou want to find out more either try to call bikeline in westchester or beans bikes in paoli... (or maybe someone here will pie up with some info).

i'd join you if i still lived in the area but now i am in philthy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, the more the merrier, as long as you're slower than I am. Just kidding, that's not even possible

Hoopy Frood
    I'll ride with you guys. Next time you're planning a ride, post here or pm me. I tend to ride at night during the week just because of work and family schedules. I live close to south campus so I just ride down there when time is short and venture further away on weekends.

i'm probably riding this weekend - road biking if the trails are too muddy. I'll be riding Saturday morning at either Marsh Creek or Brandywine if it's dry enough.

There's a small race at Marsh Creek on June 11:

http://www.wallacetwp.org/marsh_creek_race_2006.htm
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    what and where is this south campus trial?i live in the avon grove school district,about 25-30 mins from the WCU campus...just down rt. 1
    so this is how you add a signature!!

W.M.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by dd13
    what and where is this south campus trial?i live in the avon grove school district,about 25-30 mins from the WCU campus...just down rt. 1
    http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=aN.39....led%20Pushpin_

here is where south campus is... it is a very short loop - great if your close by and jsut have a short amoutn of time, but dont knwo if id make the trip from anywhere to ride it... although i must say as a newbie it was a nice track to get my confidence up and work on skills!

Hoopy Frood
    Quote Originally Posted by dd13
    If you live down route 1, you're much closer to the trails at Brandywine (and White Clay) and those trails are about 100x better and 10x longer than the little loop at south campus. I'd say it's not worth the drive at all but you could check it out if you're in the area for other reasons.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

W.M.A.
    ok - so after my inititail post i have had something come up every wednesday since, preventing me from getting out... as long as mother nature doesnt piss on my plans (literally) this wednesday - i plan on getting out... anyone up for joining?

ern
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Marsh Creek Rides

Hey- we live in Exton and usually ride at March Creek after work- around 6 or so.
    we park at the boat launch and ride up to the dam through the horse farm...
    anyways, we're probably riding tonight. i am slow- finally got a bike so am out of shape..
    we'll be the husband and wife team on cheesy matching red bikes (so not on purpose!)

W.M.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by ern
    Hey- we live in Exton and usually ride at March Creek after work- around 6 or so.
    we park at the boat launch and ride up to the dam through the horse farm...
    anyways, we're probably riding tonight. i am slow- finally got a bike so am out of shape..
    we'll be the husband and wife team on cheesy matching red bikes (so not on purpose!)

matching bikes - awww lol - just kidding...

so you guys park at the boat ramp off of reeds road and ride over to the shorter loop off the fire road closer to dorlan mill road?

i have found that teh side where you start is a much bigger loop - what are your thoughts... i was parking down at the paper mill (before the chained it off) and riding that side - then i started on the other side which seems much bigger to me.

how was it tonight? are you planning on going out wednesday too?

ern
    mtbr member
    May 2006

marsh creek monday night ride

Well, last wednesday we rode both sides. Last night, we got a late start so we didn't even finish the whole loop over by the old chimney foundation..a little muddy

my husband mapped it out using GIS so he figures if you ride both sides its about 10 miles..i've only done both sides once...and i don't know if we are going wednesday or not- our other riding partners are out of commission this week...so it depends on the weather and schedule....

mtbr member
    I live in eagle and work in west chester so i am between both places. I ride mostly french creek on the weekends or tool around hibernia park where my parents still live. I am up for a ride whenever! i am trying to get back into shape after 10 years of not riding! i actually take time to look at the views now because 10 years ago i was always doing race training and i couldnt tell you one thing that i passd when i rode becasue it was flat out hammering! now i actualy like to take it all in and enjoy my surroundings. let me know!

W.M.A.
    i made it out tonight... it was a little soft but quite a nice ride.

i dont think i will make it out next wednesday - but maybe tuesday next week...

ill post here when i knwo for sure...

W.M.A.
    TUESDAY NIGHT this week - anyone care to join?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm interested in this action. I work north of King of Prussia just off rt 422. I'm trying to get out once or twice a week in valley forge(I work a mile from the trails).

I live in West Chester thoguh, so I've been to south campus. I used to ride marsh creek, but havent been there in a couple years. Brandywine Creek state park(DE) is a good spot...its across 202 from the concord mall in Wilmington. Traffic would be a pain after work though.

There are also some trails in Downingtown that nobody has mentioned yet. They are sandwiched between Skelp Level Rd(off boot road) and rt 322. There is a trail head in the corporate park near the tresle bridge, one under the trestle bridge, there are one or two off skelp level rd(both sides), and there is one near the covered bridge on rt 322. Thats where teh wednesday night group usually rides, then they meet at Victory Brewery afterwards. I dont know if they still do that.

I've never ridden Hibernia, and I've only ridden French Creek once or twice, years ago.

At any rate, Im definately interested in meeting up for rides after work. I usually keep my bike in my truck just in case i get some free time to ride, but more notice is always better. keep me posted.

-Bill

W.M.A.
    the rides you are talking about, i believe are the dtown mtb club - they are now riding tuesdays and thursdays... the trails off skelp level i have not been to yet - there is a lot of ruckus about them too - land now owned by Sonoco and something with the township,,, trying to get it to be "ok" to ride there... i know very little of the details... i used to ride over there 15+ years ago on my atv and the trails were awesome then... from what ive heard it is a lot steeper over there and more technical... me - im in my 1st full season of riding and well, slow... thats part of the reason i have not gotten in on the dtown mtbc rides - i wont be able to hang... marsh creek has been perfect for me - plus i know its "ok" to ride there.

so about the rides on wednesdays... next wednesday i plan to go - unless something comes up last minute... coming from KOP - if you hit the turnpike to dtown exit... and head over to the chalfont road parking lot you should make it in pretty good time... le0p comes from over there... maybe he will chime in on his commute time.

le0p and i went out last night (tuesday) and rode the loop over by the damn... it was the 1st time there in a while and found that there were a lot more trails than i originally thought - some fun twisty single track - real single track, unlike the other side... a little overgrown in spots but it was a great night!

i try to post here confirming if and when im going over - so check back... you can PM me your email address and ill let you know my plans.

peace out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What time do you guys usually meet? How long/how far do you usually ride?

Im thinking that I might be better off taking 202-->30-->282. Depending on when I leave, 422 backs up heading towards 76/turnpike.

As far as the "sunoco trails" go, I think they've been off limits for a decade or so. I've never heard of anybody having problems there though. Most of Valley Forge is off limits to bikers also. Not that this makes it right, but there are bikers on the trails there all the time.

WCU Trails are closed to bikers as well, although nothing is ever enforced there. Marsh Creek, French Creek, and Brandywine Creek state parks are the only local trail systems that I know of that we are allowed to ride.

Apparently there are trails at fairmount park in philly, but thats a bit of a drive from WC/Exton/Coatesville.

I think White Clay was mentioned in a previous post as well. I've heard that the mountain biking there is amazing. I've no idea how to get there though, and I think its a bit of a drive.

W.M.A.
    6pm is when we usually start... this week we rode til 8 - got about 10 miles in... that was with the occasional stop, catch breath, fix chain, talk to fellow riders etc...

in the evening - from what i have seen - 202 can get backed north of boot road... traffic.com may be a good way to tell - check it in the evening before you leave.

the fairmount trails you are referring to are prob wissahickon - i grew up out there and learned to ride my bike there, but havenít been in years - its prob the best closer to the city. but from what i hear, it gets real crowded on weekends.

i rode white clay on memorial day - great trail and unbelievably maintained... it took me about an hour from exton... not sure exactly how i got there to be honest - mapquest...

hope thats helpful...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As mentioned, I come from the KoP area as well. My access to the turnpike is fairly clear so it usually only takes me 5 or 10 minutes to get there. After that, it's clear sailing all the way to Downingtown. Traffic in Downingtown can be bad but it's generally no issue getting to the park by 6.

Had a great time this week, hope you can join us next time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can definately get out there by 6...I work till about 4. I guess now, for me, it all depends on what i have going on the nights that you guys ride.