Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jason

Warning: Mountail Lion spotted!

I was out doing some road riding today. The hills out in the Ransom Twp. area are excellent for building leg muscles. Anyway, I was headed south on state route 3005/Lower Narrows Road. When I got about 3/10 of a mile past Ransom Road I spotted movement in the brush about 20 yards from me. It spotted me and took off up through woods. I just wanted to warn those of you who may ride in this area. I was talking to Tom today of Around Town Bikes and he told me that one had also been spotted last year in the area of State Route 292 although I'm not aware of the specific location. Just wanted to let everyone know to be cautious if you're out that way.
    Jason

Blue Pig
    Seriously... Cats make the best riding buddies. My little lion follows me on trails.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ran into a mountain lion about 8 years ago hunting in SG90 at the top of a rocky peak. Scared the $h*t of me because I almost stepped on it.

Officially the PA game commission denies they exist... except as escaped pets. Officially I think the game commission is clueless...
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

ganginwood
    and yet these cats never come around during hunting season when there are a million hunters in the woods pushing game, packing guns and carrying cameras . let me guess....no pics of the ransom kitty either. i love these threads.

i do realize however that my denial to the realization of this phenomenon will ultimately lead to me being the first documented mauling of biker by a lion in the state of pa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    and yet these cats never come around during hunting season when there are a million hunters in the woods pushing game, packing guns and carrying cameras . let me guess....no pics of the ransom kitty either. i love these threads.

i do realize however that my denial to the realization of this phenomenon will ultimately lead to me being the first documented mauling of biker by a lion in the state of pa
    Nope, no pics. It's kind of hard to stop a bike from about 15-20 m.p.h. take my hydro pack off and pull my camera out before one of these things is out of my lens range. You're skepticism is understandable though. I've heard reportings from hunters and hikers alike in this area for several decades. Many of which were spotted on the same mountain ridge that is less than 1/10 of a mile from my own home. The fact that you haven't seen one and don't know of anyone who has doesn't mean they are not out there. I'm only reporting what I saw. Take it or leave it.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    We have a Serval on the S. Mountain ridge in the Lehigh Valley area. Bigger than a bobcat, smaller than a mountain lion and most likely a pet that someone couldn't handle anymore. Is there the possibility its one of these? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serval

Jason
    Definitely not a Serval. I've seen Servals in person and this was larger than a Serval and not spotted. It was a bigger cat in all apspects.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Holy Crap! These things have been spotted at Sals in Bethlehem -- f-ing scary. I don't like to ride Sals alone anymore. See this story:
    http://bikevmb.com/node/5435
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warning: Mountail Lion spotted!-fuzzybuddies.jpg  

I'm attached to my bike.
    WTF? That's crazy.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Kitty!

Gravity's Gone
    That's crazy.

Did you ever have ham?
    Just take Bear along, cats don't like Bears!!! On the other hand, I wonder if those things are good eating? If I run into one, I will let you all know!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Xtreme Lounger

I saw a big cat

I'm no zoologist so I have no idea what kind of cat this was. I saw it about 2 years ago leaving the east parking lot of Rattling Creek heading south on Powell Valley Road. That is state game land #210 (Broad Mountain).

I was driving down the road and it was crossing ahead of me. At first I started to slow down because I thought it might be a lost dog based on the size. Then I saw the long J shaped tail and thought what kind of dog is that? It slinked across the road and stopped to look back at me. As soon as I saw the face, I knew immediately it was a cat. It was roughly 20" high across the spine and had a long tail about 30% longer than it was tall. It had a brownish, uniform coat and no spots.

I have since stopped night riding out there solo. No joke.

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Just take Bear along, cats don't like Bears!!! On the other hand, I wonder if those things are good eating? If I run into one, I will let you all know!!!
    Ha! You never ate kitty?

See what I did?

Blue Pig
    Those pictures look shopped.

Jason
    Steiny, what I saw was slighly larger than my overweight black lab. Thick legs, long thick tail with a white spot and a light brown uniform coat with no stripes or spot. Much like yourself, I knew it was a cat as soon as I saw it's head and face.
    Jason

mtbr member

Your comment....

"i do realize however that my denial to the realization of this phenomenon will ultimately lead to me being the first documented mauling of biker by a lion in the state of pa"

.....has me laughing out loud....but ...given the area you regularly ride....it definetely could happen.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Xtreme Lounger
    Yeah, that sounds about like the same thing.

OK, I just looked at some web catalog of big cats and as soon as I got to like slide 15, bingo, that was it. It was a cougar (aka mountain lion). The color, the long tail, the super tight coat, and the face are a dead ringer. None of the other pictures were even close.

So, I'm going on record and saying I saw a cougar. Yowzah! Now I know what everyone keeps talking about.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Those things are no match for my MOTO...

or BULLETS!

Hee Hee kitty stew! made with Quadzilla500 and fresh Turf Tamers

Brraappppp squish Braaapppp

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Those pictures look shopped.
    No, really?!!?

It's a joke.

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny
    Yeah, that sounds about like the same thing.

OK, I just looked at some web catalog of big cats and as soon as I got to like slide 15, bingo, that was it. It was a cougar (aka mountain lion). The color, the long tail, the super tight coat, and the face are a dead ringer. None of the other pictures were even close.

So, I'm going on record and saying I saw a cougar. Yowzah! Now I know what everyone keeps talking about.
    Good to know I'm not the only one! I know I'm not crazy and I wasn't high... [SIZE=1]on that particular ride[/SIZE]. lol I was talking to a LBS owner a few days ago who had told me that a mountain lion had been spotted by a rider or group of riders about 6 or 7 miles north of my spotting last season. I'm still going to ride the area. I do a lot of road and MTB riding out there so there's no way I'm going to avoid going out there.
    Jason

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Those things are no match for my MOTO...

or BULLETS!

Hee Hee kitty stew! made with Quadzilla500 and fresh Turf Tamers

Brraappppp squish Braaapppp
    lmao
    Jason

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny
    ... It was a cougar... The color, the long tail, the super tight coat, and the face are a dead ringer. None of the other pictures were even close.
    It looked like this?

Or this

The first one fits the description better...

Did you ever have ham?
    Oooh, Mr. Fahn, please save me from the man-eating cougar!!! LOL!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    No, really?!!?

It's a joke.
    I just don't catch on to simple jokes... sorry...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast