mtbr member

W. PA riders using 1x10 ???

Question for you guys and gals using a 1x10 setup in western pa. I am in the process of building up one myself, and I am wondering if it is really necessary to have a bashguard? I currently have one on my AM 26 setup, but it isnt all that common that I smack anything with it. I figured that with a 29er setup it would probably occur even less, thus I am not sure if I need one. Do you have one for the typical PA riding on your 1x10?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm not in W PA but I'd guess it's more about BB height than wheel size, my advice is check the actual height of the bikes and compare ring sizes to be safe. A bunch of 29ers have significant "bb drop" compared to a 26er to help keep the center of gravity low.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I'd put one on, just to protect the only ring ya got. PA is notorious for Nasty Rocks, and Flying Rocks, in the loose stuff.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just rode Laurel Mtn & Seven Springs with a 39T front ring and no bash (29er hardtail). The only time you will probably bash a 32T is over the new(er) log obstacles at Frick, where apparently people forgot how to properly build the obstacle and corresponding go-around. You'd think the chainring marks all over the top log would have been a dead giveaway?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    I just rode Laurel Mtn & Seven Springs with a 39T front ring and no bash (29er hardtail). The only time you will probably bash a 32T is over the new(er) log obstacles at Frick, where apparently people forgot how to properly build the obstacle and corresponding go-around. You'd think the chainring marks all over the top log would have been a dead giveaway?

Wait, do you mean logovers should be low enough that they don't hit the chainring?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Wait, do you mean logovers should be low enough that they don't hit the chainring?
    It's not a question of height, but one of steepness. There are logovers at Frick that are ~4' in height that roll over just fine. There are also new(er) ones that are less than 18", but are built so poorly that your chainring will rub the top log unless you treat it as a jump. Also, these new(er) logovers were built from trees that fell across the trail and there is no go-around for less experienced bikers or walkers.

mtbr member
    I have a Race Face narrow/wide 30t ring w/ a 11-36, 10spd cassette. no bash ring. So far so good. The way I look at it is that guys are climbing stuff on single-speeds...
    The clearance with the 30t alone makes taking off the bash ring less of an issue.
    Plus, I think the chain, which is hardened steel, protects the teeth on logs.
    I am in eastern PA, but FWIW, but used to live in Pittsburgh and could roll out my back door into Frick.
    LOVE that place. I was there a few months ago to check out some of the new trails and the Iron Gate...it was pouring rain and slick as spit under water, so the steepness of the log overs was not the focus. It was trying to stay upright. Planning on going back in October.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I have a Race Face narrow/wide 30t ring w/ a 11-36, 10spd cassette. no bash ring. So far so good. The way I look at it is that guys are climbing stuff on single-speeds...
    The clearance with the 30t alone makes taking off the bash ring less of an issue.
    Plus, I think the chain, which is hardened steel, protects the teeth on logs.
    I am in eastern PA, but FWIW, but used to live in Pittsburgh and could roll out my back door into Frick.
    LOVE that place. I was there a few months ago to check out some of the new trails and the Iron Gate...it was pouring rain and slick as spit under water, so the steepness of the log overs was not the focus. It was trying to stay upright. Planning on going back in October.
    Make sure you ride 276 (both directions) and especially Crater trail with the Vertigo + Humpular extensions. Look for the chainring marks on the Nature trail

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Plus, I think the chain, which is hardened steel, protects the teeth on logs.I am in eastern PA, but FWIW, but used to live in Pittsburgh and could roll out my back door into FrickLOVE that place. I was there a few months ago to check out some of the new trails and the Iron Gate...it was pouring rain and slick as spit under water, so the steepness of the log overs was not the focus. It was trying to stay upright. Planning on going back in October.
    30t! damn don't you spin out a lot? I live in eastern Pa too,but run Two ring 38-28 X 11-36 cassette nice to have the bigger for pump and speed but actually the 38 is pretty good most of the time all around and amazing how efficient it is! only really use the 28 when really maxed out over long rides.I went one ring previously but always felt under geared I ran a 35t and really as far as weight savings please! unless your really competitive and an avid racer then it really is redundant to run one....options are your friend!

mtbr member
    I know of quite a few trails in WPA that definitely require a bash guard no matter how many rings you have.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I like where you are pointing with this.

All log-overs should not be easily roll-able (but the ones that aren't deserve a go-around or to be off the main line), it's definitely part of my own personal skills growth that I can often "handle" log-overs up to about 18 or 24 inches that don't have any leading/trailing ramping. It's definitely a significant skill. I used to not be able to handle any log overs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    30t! damn don't you spin out a lot? I live in eastern Pa too,but run Two ring 38-28 X 11-36 cassette nice to have the bigger for pump and speed but actually the 38 is pretty good most of the time all around and amazing how efficient it is! only really use the 28 when really maxed out over long rides.I went one ring previously but always felt under geared I ran a 35t and really as far as weight savings please! unless your really competitive and an avid racer then it really is redundant to run one....options are your friend!
    No, not really. Like I said, I haven't had it long, and I came from a 38/26 ring set-up.
    I spin way more than anyone I ride with; I have a road racing background and still like to sit and spin, at a somewhat high cadence. I don't race so running out of gear inches on flats isn't a problem anyway. Just have to pedal faster

Options are nice, but so is not having a front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the responses, it is appreciated. I think that I may go ahead and put a bashguard on just for the extra reassurance.