Thread: W 101 Pre Ride

mtbr member

W 101 Pre Ride

I'm doing a pre ride on the W101 course at Rothrock this weekend. I was thinking of parking at Whipple Dam and riding from A.S. 2 out and loop back. I do have the Puple Lizard map.

2 questions:

1. Can I day park at Whipple Dam and ride out from there?

2. How well are the trails marked? will having the map help?

Thanks John

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Never been to Whipple Dam SP, but I don't see anything stopping you from jumping on Laurel Run or Greenlee Road to start a ride.

I haven't ridden the entire W101 course. Primarily ride out of the Galbraith Gap and Coopers Gap trailheads to do loops of singletrack linked together with forest road sections. I just started riding in this area this spring, and like you have a Purple Lizard map. I've never not been able to find a trail shown on the map. Almost everything is signed, and if it's not, it is obvious where you are. Just have some basic map reading skills and be observant of streams, bridges, gates, topography, etc. to help locate yourself on the map. If you have these skills, you'll be alright.

Rode tonight, and the trails were in great condition. With the less humid temps as of late, the rocks aren't sweating, and trails are a bit dusty. Should be prime riding conditions this weekend. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    Never been to Whipple Dam SP, but I don't see anything stopping you from jumping on Laurel Run or Greenlee Road to start a ride.

I haven't ridden the entire W101 course. Primarily ride out of the Galbraith Gap and Coopers Gap trailheads to do loops of singletrack linked together with forest road sections. I just started riding in this area this spring, and like you have a Purple Lizard map. I've never not been able to find a trail shown on the map. Almost everything is signed, and if it's not, it is obvious where you are. Just have some basic map reading skills and be observant of streams, bridges, gates, topography, etc. to help locate yourself on the map. If you have these skills, you'll be alright.

Rode tonight, and the trails were in great condition. With the less humid temps as of late, the rocks aren't sweating, and trails are a bit dusty. Should be prime riding conditions this weekend. Enjoy!

Thanks this information is exactly what I needed!