mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Visiting Philadelphia

Hi

I'm visiting Philly from the UK on business next month and was hoping to get in a days riding. Can anyone suggest somewhere to hire a bike and some good trails close to the city.

Thanks

Riofer

mtbr member

Wissahickon

Wissahickon will probably be your best bet. It's close and has some nice riding. Although you're supposed to have a permit you could get by without one. I ride with one but have never been stopped by a Ranger.

Here is a link to shops that rent bikes. My brothers came in last month and we rented bikes from Erdenheim. They were low end hard-tails but they shifted and seemed to be in good shape. The Bike Line in Manayunk used to rent good bikes but I don't think they do anymore.

Bike Rentals

PS If you are willing to drive a bit further it would be a crime not to go ride French Creek .

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Riofer
    Hi

I'm visiting Philly from the UK on business next month and was hoping to get in a days riding. Can anyone suggest somewhere to hire a bike and some good trails close to the city.

Thanks

Riofer
    Wissahickon is definitely your best bet. Excellent riding within the Philadelphia city limits. I don't know where in the city you'll be staying, but you can take public transportation (SEPTA bus or train) to Chestnut Hill. Then, a short walk down Germantown Ave. will get you to Wissahickon Cyclery at the corner of Springfield & Germantown Ave. The park is about a mile from the bike shop. Just head down Springfield, following signs for Valley Green.

I don't know if Wiss-cycles will rent you a bike or not, but I know they'll let you take a lengthy 'test-ride' in a pinch! Call 'em and ask first.

If you really have a hard time finding a decent rental, send me an email. I can likely loan you something (unless you're very tall) and (provided I'm available) I'll show you around the trails.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the advice guys the trails look great. I'll get onto a few of the local bike stores and see if I can hire or borrow a bike. I may also do a bit of component shopping while I'm visiting, any recommendations for the best store (prices and range of equipment). The pound is strong at the moment so I'm looking forward to adding some shiny parts to my bike back home.

Riofer

BTW - Stick, thanks for the offer I'll see how I get on with finding a hire bike but may well take you up on the trail tour. Hopefully I should be finished with the work I need to complete and free on the 13th and 14th of August.