Telling Your Future

Visiting Jim Thorpe...Info Request

Hi all-

I'm a travelling out to Allentown this week on a business trip from California. I'm originally from PA and used to MTB there way back in the early 90's on a full rigid bike. I remember it was a blast and would like to try riding with modern gear. I'll have a chance to stay over the weekend and would like to check out the trails around Jim Thorpe. If possible, I'd like to rent a dual-suspension bike there so I won't have to deal with packing mine up etc...

I checked the web and could only find places that rented low-end hardtails.

Is there a place that you can rent a decent mid-end dual suspension bike (something like a SC Blur LT maybe)?

What trails do you recommend (I'm an advanced rider)? From reviews I heard Deer Trail, Uranium Road, etc... are the bomb.

Thanks in Advance!

Cheers-
    <<<Yawn.>>>

mtbr member
    PM sent.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

bro not pro

similar request

Hi ... I'm going to be in the area June 30th. I have one day to ride. If that's all you had, what trail(s) should one do around JT ? I'm advanced Xc rider, and dabble in FreeRide too. Should I bring a FR or XC bike ?
    thanks
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

simlilar request

Hi, I'm coming over from Ireland in August for 3 wks and staying in the Split Rock area so any information about trails in this area or Jim Thorpe would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteamDonkey
    Hi all-

I'm a travelling out to Allentown this week on a business trip from California. I'm originally from PA and used to MTB there way back in the early 90's on a full rigid bike. I remember it was a blast and would like to try riding with modern gear. I'll have a chance to stay over the weekend and would like to check out the trails around Jim Thorpe. If possible, I'd like to rent a dual-suspension bike there so I won't have to deal with packing mine up etc...

I checked the web and could only find places that rented low-end hardtails.

Is there a place that you can rent a decent mid-end dual suspension bike (something like a SC Blur LT maybe)?

What trails do you recommend (I'm an advanced rider)? From reviews I heard Deer Trail, Uranium Road, etc... are the bomb.

Thanks in Advance!

Cheers-

I am also going with a small group to JT, What is the one single best trail in JT?

Thanks

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer
    I am also going with a small group to JT, What is the one single best trail in JT?

Thanks
    [SIZE="2"]Since I don't know your ability or style. Here ya go:

Best inter/expert level American Standard....not open officially 14 miles ROCKY!

Best inter level Broad Mountain Loop 10 miles

Best beg/inter level Switchback open & ridable 12 miles

I am working on an official thread with all info for all trails in Pa. check back soon!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

VMB
    Donkey, If you are going to be in the Allentown (Lehigh Valley) area we have some awesome trail right here. I'm fairly certain that Saucon Valley Bikes in Hellertown, PA rents some of their rigs out. Top notch shop with a great staff. Of course you could ride the usual places like Jacobsburg but we have some sweet new singletrack in Salisbury Township. Here are some links to help you out: the Valley Mountain Bikerswww.bikevmb.com and SV Bikes www.sauconvalleybikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quick note- was out on AS last weekend and was chased out buy a local trapper- guy drove a red jeep, had a grey beard, and was pretty aggressive about keeping 'us mountain bikers off game lands' Luckilly only had about a mile of singletrack left but it was annoying in any case...

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Quick note- was out on AS last weekend and was chased out buy a local trapper- guy drove a red jeep, had a grey beard, and was pretty aggressive about keeping 'us mountain bikers off game lands' Luckilly only had about a mile of singletrack left but it was annoying in any case...
    Unless he was of "Authority' he has no rights to "Enforce" anything!
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    Unless he was of "Authority' he has no rights to "Enforce" anything!
    Tell me about it- but looking like he came straight out of 'Deliverance' I didnt want to get into it with him- it was easier to just ride out and hit another trail....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    [SIZE="2"]Since I don't know your ability or style. Here ya go:

Best inter/expert level American Standard....not open officially 14 miles ROCKY!

Best inter level Broad Mountain Loop 10 miles

Best beg/inter level Switchback open & ridable 12 miles

I am working on an official thread with all info for all trails in Pa. check back soon!
    [/SIZE]

Thanks for the reply, I'm a Sport Class rider (mid-pack). I like technical rocky stuff, but AS is not fun for me. It has no flow and no real payback for the constant poinding of the rocks. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Aside from those three trails is there anything else in the area? (technical singletrack)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer
    Thanks for the reply, I'm a Sport Class rider (mid-pack). I like technical rocky stuff, but AS is not fun for me. It has no flow and no real payback for the constant poinding of the rocks. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Aside from those three trails is there anything else in the area? (technical singletrack)

Thanks
    Look for the 'Twin Peaks' ride and be sure to include the ridge trail- fun stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Some of the locals there just arent right,, He cannot chase anybody out,, and only part of the AS trail is on St land,,