a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Visiting Allentown & Lake Wallenpaupak area... trails?

Hello - while I'm from southeast PA originally, I've lived in NC for more than half my life... so I'm not familiar with where to ride. I'll be on a business trip to Allentown in August and may also spend some time up at my sister's mountain house on Lake Wallenpaupak.

I know that Jim Thorpe is fairly close to Allentown... what would be a decent trail or two to try? Also, does Tanglwood ski area allow riding? Anyplace else near the lake? I may not have more than an hour or two to ride a couple of evenings during the week, so the distance needs to be reasonable... no time for 30mi epics.

FYI, I am just recovering from a broken wrist and may not be able to do anything too bumpy or technical for a while, so please let me know what trails to avoid.

Thanks!
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well if you don't want technical around lake wallenpaupack you are in the wrong place. We have some great trails. The best are prompton state park. Its about 10 miles from the lake. I ride there almost daily. If you want to meet up one morning i can show you whats good and what isn't. Just reply to this with exact locations and i'll be able to give you great directions to get to prompton. As for allentown...well i don't live there so i don't know.

Uphill hater

allentown area

The immediate Allentown area offers exactly what you are looking for. Jordan Creek Parkway off of Rt 22 has 5-10 miles of looped singletrack that isn't tooo technical. Possibilites are endless. Lehigh towpath is exactly that...towpath but a nice ride for the wrist. Bear Creek ski area in Macungie is a 5 mile loop that is steeeeep and way technical and rocky. Jacobsburg State Park off Rt 33 is a good choice as well. We have several rides during the week in the evenings at these locations, fun social paces and distances. Email me at chuck@rsdmag.com for more details as your trip gets closer.
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Thanks guys! This is EXCELLENT info... I had no idea there was so much in the Allentown area. It's more likely I'll be able to ride there rather than near the lake. I will certainly contact one or both of you as my trip approaches (Aug 5-12). In the meantime I'll google these places and see what else I can learn.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rich... Chuck only named a few... That is just the icing on the Cake around Allentown... You won't have to worry about travelling far at all... And as for the post on Prompton Lake... I was working in that area for about a month or so and hit that place up a number of times... SWEET RIDING... There was a bike shop between Wallenpaupack Lake and Prompton whe even gave me a map... Definitely worth checkin out... As for Allentown, contact either myself or chuck and we'll pass on some dirt devils hospitality... brian.strauser@rcn.com See ya in august!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Brian, something bad happens when i drink, but i did meet this cute girl from allentown last night, she rides a diamond back, but i don't hold it against her. that was my first bike back in the day, too.

is that super v doing wheelies up near prompton??? i passed a chance to ride there a couple weeks ago. staying employed sucks. ah, good trails are just too damn plentiful in this state.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    bighitdon, we have a man in the area who likes to travel to far away places stating he comes from allentown and fooling drunk cyclists into thinking he's a she... How did your ass feel when you woke up???

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ouch, i thought that was from the liquor sh!ts!!!

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Back OT...

I'll be in allentown 8/7 - 8/11, but will be limited to the towpath or something similar... not ready for the techy stuff yet since my wrist is still sore. I only got back on the bike the other day (have been on the stationary bike for 2 months though).

It looks like my best chance of riding will be in the evenings maybe 2 or 3 times during the week, Monday evening for sure, then we'll see what I can do after that.

Please send me a PM to let me know of any organized rides or if someone wants to meet up with me. I'll be staying at the Hotel Bethlehem and it would be great if I could just ride from there... in fact I may have to since my wife will likely be taking the car to visit relatives for a couple of days. Can I get to the towpath easily and safely from the hotel?

Thanks and I look forward to my visit!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sand Island is within spitting distance to the hotel- literally turn right out of the parking lot and follow the road to the river. Park at the Icehouse and the path will be in sight. Be forewarned, the towpath took a beating with all of the rains this year, so there are some pretty choppy (for a towpath) spots, but it is all rideable from Bethlehem to Easton- I just did it about 2 weeks ago on my cross bike with no problems.

VMB
    You picked a good time to come to Bethlehem. Musicfest is going on so there will be plenty to do. As for group rides there is a good one on Wednesdays at Jacobsburg State Park. The ride begins at 6:30 pm and is usually broken into multiple groups (slower and faster). From Bethlehem: take Rte. 22 East to Rte. 33 North. Stay on 33 until you get to the Belfast exit. Make a right off of the exit and a hard left at the first stop sign. The parking area for the park is about half a mile on the left. If you have any other questions or need more info. on the local Mtb. scene go to www.bikevmb.com Hope this info. helps