trail addict

video-Fall riding in PA

Here's a little something I put together last week. It's been a while since I did a nice video, so I decided to take along my digital point n shoot for a few rides and see what footage I could get. October ended up being solo rides since my main bud started hunting, so it is just me in the vids. The quality isn't the best (youtube made it worse) and I had to use a little mini-tripod that is only about a foot high.... so it is lacking in variety a little.... I tried to make the most of what I had... The leaves on the trail and the low-quality really "flatten" everything. Hopefully next year I'll be working with better quality.

Enjoy. Feedback and constructive criticism (on riding, filming, or editing) is fine.

You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Gravity's Gone
    Nice. Try Vimeo instead of Youtube - they don't screw with your soundtrack like youtube does sometimes and the quality seems to be better, plus there's no time limit.

Very nice. Looks to be mostly Geisinger, Moon Lake and some lift assist place I've never been to right at the end- anything else? The flume shots are cool, as are the freeze action shots, and the fact that there's very little helmet cam. Watching 10 minutes of bouncing around helmet cam does nothing for me.

Gravity's Gone
    Looks like some of it is Bloomsburg U. also.

I agree with Jonzy as far as helmet cam footage goes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I enjoyed.
    Mike
    "My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb."-Tom Nuttal

mtbr member

The James Gang....

....love the music selection....the drums and bass in that song are certainly classic.....enjoyed the riding too! Especially the Moon Lake footage during CCR and SteppenWolf....the flume riding really nice. Nice Vid. Ride On!

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 11-19-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Hermit
    Nice video.

I've made some videos the same way - point & shoot on the shorty tripod. For some variation I take a mini bungy cord and fasten the tripod to a suitably placed tree - it gives you a vantage point a bit further off the ground.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That was fun to watch... Nice bike handling skills.

What software are you using to edit the video?

Mark

mtbr member
    Where is the concrete drainage/flume?

thanks

trail addict
    Wow, thanks for the positive comments, everyone!

Jonz was on with two of the locations and Nanker got the third one (where I rarely see another mtber except for the jacka$$ who likes to knock down jumps, steal tools, and screw with the trails). I didn't mention locations because I figured the locals would guess correctly... missed out on Mainville and Roaring Creek in Oct because I haven't had any Sundays. I figured Bloom, Danville, and the Moon were a pretty good variety for now.

Mark: Software was basic Mac iMovie.

As for the helmet cam... I have found that you can start to get better footage by tightening the helmet to the point where it is uncomfortable (like get this damned thing off of me after 5 minutes-that tight). Also helps to have a rabbit in front to focus on. When I am by myself, my head wanders around more, with a rabbit in front, I get much better (and more interesting) footage. We had some really good helmet cam stuff from Diablo and lost it in a computer glitch-sooo mad.

Next year I'm gonna make a point to bring along the handycam and a good tripod-many more possibilities there. Hopefully also get footage of some bigger stuff and someone other than just me. I'll have to look into vimeo as well.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Bloom trails

I think I've only seen these mentioned maybe once before. What's the story with them?

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz
    I think I've only seen these mentioned maybe once before. What's the story with them?
    It's just a little spot between the hospital and upper campus where people walk their dogs, trail run, ride, etc.... I frequently come across kids smoking pot out there. Now some d-bag is ruining all the trails with a quad

Anyways, the bottom end is getting bull-dozed now for construction and some high winds have put more trees down in multiple locations. Most of the trails aren't in very nice shape right now except for a select area where trail gnomes tend to make the most of it.

It is a nice spot for me to go because it is only like 5 min from my house.

If you want to go, park on upper campus by the climbing wall. Start searching for trailheads below the soccer fields... you really can't get lost. Unfortunately, it really isn't worth checking out (right now) unless you happen to be in the neighborhood.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Thanks for the video, it's my new favorite MTB video.

We'll see if LifeCycles displaces it ... but I love this one, nicely done!

*JUST RIDIN*
    Nice job, cool vid.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    wow, impressive video Jamie, and nice bike skills.

mtbr member
    Sweet video! That must have been a lot of time setting up the tripod and setting the scene for each shot, no? But well worth it in the end. Very fun to watch! I love the freeze frame shots in the video too! A nice touch..

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by amysue135
    Sweet video! That must have been a lot of time setting up the tripod and setting the scene for each shot, no? But well worth it in the end. Very fun to watch! I love the freeze frame shots in the video too! A nice touch..
    yeah, lots of time... the downside is all the miles of riding I lost while spending time with the camera. I just made up my mind that I was gonna take the camera along for each ride and stop wherever the mood hit for some footage. Definitely lots of compromises, but a nice change of pace after spending months cranking out miles with nothing to "show" for it.

The freeze frames are so easy with the iMovie on our Mac. You can stop anywhere and "create still frame", then insert that frame back into the movie for 2-3 seconds (or whatever). I also hit it with the "wash in" effect to give it a camera flash feel. It is funny, though, when you freeze that frame and all the action stops, you realize how little resolution there is in the digital videos.... as long as there is motion, your minds tricks you into seeing a little more clearly than things really are.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Thanks for the video, it's my new favorite MTB video.

We'll see if LifeCycles displaces it ... but I love this one, nicely done!
    Is LifeCycles shipping yet???? Might go on my Christmas list!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    Is LifeCycles shipping yet???? Might go on my Christmas list!
    I haven't hear that it is, ;^(

But it's on my list anyway.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz
    I don't know if anyone who posts here cares, but the trails are basically destroyed.... I don't know when in the last month it all happened, but the lower end is clear-cut for construction and posted "No Trespassing". The upper parts have many new trees and branches down due to (I assume) the high winds we had a few days back. The trail with the jumps, berms, bridges, and skinny has been vandalized-obviously very deliberately.

I'm afraid this is the end of the hospital trails....

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    I don't know if anyone who posts here cares, but the trails are basically destroyed.... I don't know when in the last month it all happened, but the lower end is clear-cut for construction and posted "No Trespassing". The upper parts have many new trees and branches down due to (I assume) the high winds we had a few days back. The trail with the jumps, berms, bridges, and skinny has been vandalized-obviously very deliberately.

I'm afraid this is the end of the hospital trails....
    Bummer, that really sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    Bummer, that really sucks....
    +1 - I was going to check those trails out sometime soon.