Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Victory brewery (Downingtown) area riding

Well as you may know, they re-did Victory and it is awesome. I was there last weekend drinking cask conditioned Hop Devil, and Hop Wild (wild yeast hop devil) among others. I seemed to remember a thread about a ride out that way, possibly even leaving from the parking lot, but I couldn't find the thread in the search. Can anyone help me out??? I need to go back to Victory ASAP, and some riding would be awesome beforehand .

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Check out my motionbased index page:

http://royldean.motionbased.com

And click on any of the "downingtown trails" links. They all start from the Victory parking lot.

--Roy

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Any rides still going on at the two area shops?

Downingtown Bicycle Shop and Lowerider's?
    Google each and give them a buzz.
    Plus, I'm sure some riders will post a little more here in addition to what RoyDean did. Although, his link was stellar.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Not sure about the Dtown bike shop, but LoweRiders still rides every wednesday, leaving from their parking lot at 6pm.

I believe Bean's also has a wed. downingtown ride, based out of the Victory lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    2.5 years later, anyone left?

edit: checked out your ride links. after talking to matt @ bikeline i've been wanting to do the sawmill side of things for a while, and now i know where to hit it. thanks mr. roydean.
    Last edited by name_dropper; 12-09-2010 at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by name_dropper
    2.5 years later, anyone left?

edit: checked out your ride links. after talking to matt @ bikeline i've been wanting to do the sawmill side of things for a while, and now i know where to hit it. thanks mr. roydean.
    Please be conscious of the fact that the sawmill side is almost entirely on private property. Please be respectful out there. Also, there have been some recent changes lately that required some re-routes to respect the land owners. If a Trail looks like it's closed, please respect that. by following the alternate route.

There is still a ride that leaves LoweRiders on Wednesday night, but it is a very fast paced ride.

mtbr member
    I was riding up sawmill today and noticed that a new trail has been cut (or at least new to me) past where the folks have put up a "do not cross" chain. It's heading up towards the white trail on top of the ridge. Anybody know who's working on the trail, if it's legit, and if they'd like help?
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    man it was sketchy today (tues 12/20). crunching thru frozen frost swells straight into the stickiest 40* mud i've been thru. my tires wouldn't shed anything. weather was fantastic but i was hoping everything was frozen solid, and that just wasn't the case. i got muddier today than i've gotten all season riding harmony. so much in fact that i had to go to the local car wash and powerwash the danm bike off b/c my backyard hose wouldn't cut it. it was still a blast tho and felt great just to be out in the sun.
    Last edited by name_dropper; 12-21-2010 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    man it was sketchy today (tues 12/20). crunching thru frozen frost swells straight into the stickiest 40* mud i've been thru. my tires wouldn't shed anything. weather was fantastic but i was hoping everything was frozen solid, and that just wasn't the case. i got muddier today than i've gotten all season riding harmony. so much in fact that i had to go to the local car wash and powerwash the danm bike off b/c my backyard hose wouldn't cut it. it was still a blast tho and felt great just to be out in the sun.
    Wierd. I cant really think of a place where I've ever had problems with mud back there. Maybe the new trail that drops down to sawmill? The sawmill side is so sharp of an incline and so rooty and off camber that there really isnt much opportunity for the water to sit and create muddy spots. It typically drains very well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugbyroy
    I was riding up sawmill today and noticed that a new trail has been cut (or at least new to me) past where the folks have put up a "do not cross" chain. It's heading up towards the white trail on top of the ridge. Anybody know who's working on the trail, if it's legit, and if they'd like help?
    None of the sawmill trails are "legit". I'm pretty sure that they're all on poached land - which is why we don't build more trails. There was only one section where we actually had the landowner's consent and even endorsement - heck, he even helped mantain the trails. Unfortunately he moved away because the township refused to let him re-route his driveway. The new trail that drops to sawmill was only created to avoid the new landowner who said - in a nice way - to please not ride on her property. The new trail is better than the old one anyway...

Since they're all illegal trails, there are no official work days or crews... Just kinda go out there on your own and work on an area if it's bad. Personally, I'd like to see a trail that parallels near the road so you dont have to actually ride on the road - hint, hint. As a genearl rule, Please do NOT remove logs unless they're completely impassable or life threatening... There are a ton of people that use these trails as a technical skills training area and enjoy big logovers. Over the past few months or so, logs that have been on the trails, literally for years have been getting cut out by somebody. HH/Sawmill is a unique trail system and I'd hate to see it get watered down like some of the other trail systems in the area.

mtbr member
    BShow, thanks for the info. I agree with the lower level trail. I've been passed by some cars that really haul arse down sawmill road and it's not pleasant.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    most of the black/white trail leading up to the lookout is mud, as well as the new side of the yellow trail and anything half way down the hill and below. this is after noonish when the air temp clears 40*. and by muddy i mean MUDDY!. really MUDDY!
    on a side note, i hopped over skelp level and rode the loop of the "kids country week" or whatever. interesting, but not very fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ...on a side note, i hopped over skelp level and rode the loop of the "kids country week" or whatever. interesting, but not very fun.
    I know I'm talking with a bit of a forked toungue here, but Please do NOT ride the opposite side of Skelp Level Road. These are trails are strictly off limits to all bikes.

There is a lot of effort going into opening this land to bikes. Great strides have been made toward opening this land, however continued poaching has jeopardized the efforts being made. If we can gain legal access to this land, it would be a huge win for local MTBers. Currently, there are not many trails there that are worth riding, so it truly isnt worth poaching. The thing is, though, its a huge amount of wooded area that would be open to create new trails. Please don't ride here.

As for the mud... you're correct. Black and White is a south facing trail, so it sees a lot of sun and is muddy whenever it's close to freezing temps. I was talking about the Sawmill trails - those trails are rarely muddy. My mistake.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    yeah i wouldn't ride them again, and i knew they were off limits, but i just wanted to see that side of the hill and figured the dead of winter was the best time to take a quick lap.

mtbr member
    I was there today and the mud on black/white trail was replaced by this fluffy white substance...

Snow crash from roy munson on Vimeo.

Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    that was awesome!

mtbr member
    I went for a ride yesterday and the trails were pretty good. The snow has been packed down well and I wasn't having much issues with traction. Tuesday's storm should make things interesting though.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugbyroy
    I was there today and the mud on black/white trail was replaced by this fluffy white substance...

Snow crash from roy munson on Vimeo.

I saw your tracks out there... Funny, I've never seen you over there before. Not like your bike doesnt stand out or anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i snowshoed the trails on sunday- had perfect weather and lots of snow.
    quick vid i took of my buddy and I.snowshoing to the ruins

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I snowshoed the paradise farms loop on Sunday... It was awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    were you in a yellow frontier?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    trails are prime!
    found the sawmill trails too. good times.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Marsh Creek was Phenomenal today.... Conditions...
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    lots of guys out today (tues 5pm) even a couple full-facers, which was surprising cuz i rode it fri/sat and didn't see a soul.
    the unmarked goat trail from top of red to the ruins is a blast.
    oh, and Roy Dean, your motion based link is down. i wanted to check something again and no luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yesterday there was a lot of people on the trails as well. Did you see the new trail to the right if you are going to the ridge and up well now you can go to the right and up on the tetter totter side, its a nice flow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast