mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Valley Forge Opportunity

With the recent proposed mountain biking BAN in Valley Forge, perhaps this 5 mile run they have scheduled for April 22nd would be a good opportunity for the mountain biking community to do a little educating of the general public. Maybe get some petitions signed, build some support...

http://www.valleyforge.org/static/in...?contentID=198

Seems like a great opportunity for someone like IMBA to show its strength in an organized way.
    Unfortunately I am scheduled to be out of town that weekend...

Mike
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

Freshly Fujified

Good job! Good call Mike

Hey Joe-any thoughts on this event as a means to make a statement? Let me know.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My brother and I ride Betzwood reguarly, we'd be in to help out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Valley Forge

I didn't know there were any trails in VF.

40 oz to freedom
    Quote Originally Posted by chestercospinner
    My brother and I ride Betzwood reguarly, we'd be in to help out.
    I ride betzwood alot too and the way I understand it is that most of betzwood is not in the national park. If you are looking at betzwood from that highway that is there (202?) there is a dividing line on the left side is not Valley Forge and the majority of the trails are there, on the right side it is valley forge and there are 1 or 2 trails there to my knowledge. So most of betzwood will remain open.

I'm willing to help out with it though, just saying that if Valley Forge permanently bans mountain biking we will still be safe in Betzwood.
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

Freshly Fujified

Betzwood=Valley Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny A
    I'm willing to help out with it though, just saying that if Valley Forge permanently bans mountain biking we will still be safe in Betzwood.
    Unfortunately, you are incorrect. The National Park Services bought the Betzwood tract of land from Lower Providence a number of years ago. There is ample signage all over the Betzwood side indicating that it's part of VFNHP. Also, for the record, cycling anywhere in VF (including the Betzwood side) other than on the paved paths and the gravel path that extends from the bottom of the Betzwood parking lot to Pawlings Rd. is prohibited.

I'm not going to tell you not to ride there, because many people do, and the rangers turn a blind eye because they just don't have the ability to patrol the area. Just thought you should be clear, in case you get stopped at some point. Hopefully the point will be moot at some point in the future as the result of all the hard work of people trying to change VF's position on the singletrack on the Betzwood side.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

40 oz to freedom
    Oh... I stand corrected. I was always under the assumption that we could ride at betzwood. Looks like I had better watch out for the rangers and such. I guess I better stick to French Creek and wiss for most of my riding.
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

can't stop

I won't stop riding betzwood as it's my small piece of paradise and escape from the hellish corporate rat race that is the philadelphia subburbs and subsequently my life at the moment. It's a privledge to ride there and our right to take care of it. nothing for free. I don't ride there when it's obviously wet and if a tree is down I won't hack my way around it like the horses do. I will never get horseback riders that do that.

Freshly Fujified

OK, here's the plan

Quote Originally Posted by HardTail610
    With the recent proposed mountain biking BAN in Valley Forge, perhaps this 5 mile run they have scheduled for April 22nd would be a good opportunity for the mountain biking community to do a little educating of the general public. Maybe get some petitions signed, build some support...

http://www.valleyforge.org/static/in...?contentID=198

Seems like a great opportunity for someone like IMBA to show its strength in an organized way.
    Unfortunately I am scheduled to be out of town that weekend...

Mike
    First off, thaks again Mike for planting the seed. I spoke with Joe Transue (Eastern PA IMBA Rep) today and asked him for his thoughts on how we might make our voices heard in conjunction with this event. From his perspective, the most positive impact we might have is by supporting the event in some way. He suggested that we ask the race organizers if the local MTB community can assist in being marshalls for the event. We can show that we're serious about sharing the trails and are positive, productive members of the community this way. We can also look at this as a means to foster a relationship with a group who can potentially become an ally in our cause.

Joe would like to be in the position of being able to contact the Valley Forge Convention and Visitors Bureau and let them know we have resources who are willing to assist in marshalling the run. In order to do this, we need local MTBers buy-in and COMMITMENT TO HELP! If you can commit to assisting in marshalling the event, please email me at callmeclyde@gmail.com. We only have a couple of days (if we're not already too late) to get a list of volunteers together, so please respond quickly. If we are able to pull this off, I will contact those who have committed to volunteering with the details of the day's events.

Thanks,

Bob

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    I was planning on riding Betzwood again too. When will people be meeting?
    Click. Point. Chute.

Freshly Fujified

Update for support of Saturday's run

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil
    I was planning on riding Betzwood again too. When will people be meeting?
    Unfortunately not a single person emailed me saying they could help in marshalling the 5 mile run. I'll continue to post events and meetings related to the issue of re-opening the trails in Betzwood.

Bob

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Yowza!

It's 2007 and they're talking about BANNING mountain biking from a National Park where we have been able to ride for years and no one responds?

This isn't about Valley Forge, this is about the validity of this sport, but not even as a sport but as mere recreation!

Maybe VF isn't Fair Hill but when FH was threatened folks came out of the woodwork, as they should have. And maybe it's not French Creek of the Mighty Wiss, but this sets a bad precendent and gives one more piece of ammo for folks to use..."Hey, they did it at Valley Forge, maybe we can ban them from here too."

Joe, does IMBA have any info on the results of the public comments or what the next steps are?

Any info would be appreciated.
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

mtbr member
    Hardtail: i personally feel inthis situation that we're not gonna get the warm and fuzzy's from the mtn bike community, but that's okay. I think if a few of us keep movin' it along "they will come"

-this whole VF thing will definitely move slow, but i feel with the contacts we've made with hopewell furnace(NP) that we will be able to get a face to face. they are invited to the trailbuilding school injune at french creek. Scott from IMBA HQ has been keeping his ear to the ground and basically our next step is to get a sit down with the superintendant to propose a plan. here is where the mtn bike community comes into play. I can create the plan, but i can't do the work. i do however feel the local community will come out. We just need to say "hey, every other saturday for the next 3 years we are scheduling trailwork etc" they will come. We all have to realize our roles, and mine is no more or less important that the biker who cleans up the trails. if we keep this streamlined and keep communication high and a professional attitude i feel it will be a success, maybe not 5 years from now, but it doesn't matter the time, just as long as it gets done.

please keep the opinions flowing and constructive. i don't claim to be perfect and god knows i need the work

mtbr member
    Hey guys, are you talking about the single track trails that run along the walking/biking path along 422, that has a little creek crossing?, just wanna make sure i'm thinking of the right spot.

Freshly Fujified

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by jammin
    Hey guys, are you talking about the single track trails that run along the walking/biking path along 422, that has a little creek crossing?, just wanna make sure i'm thinking of the right spot.
    That's exactly where the trails are that we're trying to get them to re-open.

Bob

mtbr member
    wierd, i was back there a month or so a go, whenever we had that nice weather, seen 4 other guys back there also, also seen a park ranger before i headed to the trails, how come they don't have it marked closed?

Freshly Fujified

Signs are torn down

A few years back, there were plenty of signs with a picture of a bicycle with diagonal line through it ( Given the picture was that of a cruiser, I used to pretend it meant no cruisers on the singletrack ). You'll still see some of them in certain areas. By and larger, poachers have pretty much torn them down.

There is no question that plenty of people still ride there, regardless of whether they are knowingly or unknowingly poaching. The fact of the matter is that the Rangers just don't have the manpower, time, or inclination to enforce the no cycling rule, so they turn a blind eye and people ride with little or no consequence.

I certainly won't pass judgement on people who still ride there. As you see from my comments above, I've ridden those trails knowing it was illegal. If the Rangers choose to be complacent, then I certainly understand people taking advantage of this fact. I still think it's very important that we as a community show that we can be responsible members. If we do so, then we have a chance at not only making the trails legal again, but incorporating some semblance of a plan for regular trail maintenance.

Bob