mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Valley Forge...again

Does anybody have the real skinny on this land transfer thing?
    How good/bad is this?
    Might this make it easier/harder to get access to this land?

"By the terms of the agreement, ARC agrees to convey to the United States clear and marketable title to a tract of some 78 acres located within Valley Forge NHP north of the Schuylkill River. Once acquired by the federal government, the parcel would be managed and preserved for its cultural and natural values."

More info here:
    http://www.nps.gov/vafo/parkmgmt/landtransfer.htm

"Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    OK from what I understand, The ARC was going to put a museum in the park. This would've destroyed the park, and most of the singletrack. The local government slowed the process so much that the ARC gave up and acquired a property in Center City, Philadelphia. Singletrack stays.
    So, we win, sort of. Still illegal. Write to your local representitive and tell him/her that you support off road bicycle riding in National Parks. Ride at your own risk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That all fits with what I have heard and read, but what occurred to me was that if that land was traded as part of a swap deal, well then maybe the NEW land manager might be a reasonable person and try to make peace with the mountain bikers in exchange for trail work...lord knows the trails in VF (ALL of the trails) could use work...
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No, it has gone back into the hands of the National Park Service, and I've heard they're enforcing the rules a little stricter now.

mtbr member
    Bummer, VF has some real good potential if they would let us ride and do some trail maintenance.

mtbr member
    Looks like this deal is finally going down, now if the Park would only open up to MTB then we could ride there

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_...or_museum.html