mtbr member

Vacation at Little Pine State Park

I figure that I'd check with the good folks on the forum and see if there were any decent trails near Little Pine State Park as I'm going to be camping up there for a few days at the end of the month. I know for sure that there is one trail on the far side of the lake but I'm not positive that it's mtb friendly to ride on..walking trail vs mtb use?

Little back story, this is the place that my girlfriend and I decided that we would get kayaks to enjoy the outdoors even more than just our normal hiking routines. Well, once we were on the water in the tandem rental she told me that she couldn't swim worth a lick and when she took over the paddling it became apparent left turns were her thing...over and over again. So until she decides to learn how to swim, even with a LP we decided to take up biking, what kind of biking? Well I'm deathly afraid of road biking due to an accident I saw when I was about 33 yrs younger, it has really stuck with me through all these years. We stopped at the Trek store on our trip Pittsburgh for a hockey game and the DS/Neko series kinda stuck out as a do all kinda go between.

One stop up at Main Bike World to look at the bikes much closer to home and we decided on some entry levelish mountain bikes to test our love for the great trails that NEPA has to offer. "T" my girlfriend decided on a Skye (the color got her), and I was lucky to find a left over 4300 almost the same color of the DS I was dreaming about! Alittle over 3 months into the activity we are both loving it, planning our days off work to ride, mostly at the moon or the gorge for some milage work. We have come a long way since our first butt kicking at the Broad Mountain and along with our friends, Dave and Tim, have inspired others at work to either get bikes or break out their old ones and start riding again. Ah the joys of group sufferage.

Anyway I just felt like typing that out, thankful for the good friends I have to ride with and great support from the guys at Main Bike who don't mind answering noob questions. So any good trails at Little Pine State Park? lol

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I'm sure you know the Pine Creek trail is not far: Pine Creek Rail Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and a bit of a ride to Wellsboro for the Asaph area and the race course of the Laurel Classic. There are forest roads near Slate Run, but proilly not what your looking for.

mtbr member
    Gotcha, I'm gonna hope that we can find some of the wooded hiking trails off the Pine Creek and do some "offroading" as long as it's legal(ish). I do remember some trails to the top of a mountain close to the lake where friends have a hunting cabin but thats more of a jeep/truck trail thing. We'll have to explore and find some light to moderate singletrack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There's much more very, very good on-foot hiking in that area there than there is MTB trails. Examples: Golden Eagle Trail, Black Forest Trail.

Years ago I used to spend a lot of time in that area there, and at the moment I can't think of any MTB trails in the immediate area of that park. A litter further away in any direction, yes, South: Williamsport Water Co, (but that would be driving into civilization), North: Ole Bull SP trails + Aspah trails near Wellsboro + some cross country ski trails in the State Forests near Colton Point SP, West: as was mentioned the Pine Creek Rail Trail, but that is pretty flat and mostly frequented by families and retirees more so than the people who hand on here, but it is scenic in the valley.

If you want non-MTB and non-hiking suggestions: Look up the Dark Skys program at Chery Springs State Park, you have to be there after dark (astronomical twilight, 11 pm-ism) and on a clear night. What you get in return is seeing the night sky like you've seen it before. Height of summer and warm weather means no good fishing, so scratch that off the list. There are a few small places where you can go horseback riding (they teach beginners) in and around the Rt 44/144 intersection, Germania I think is the "town" name (note this is not at all like the Pine Creek Canyon "horse drawn wagon" rides, which I'd classify as cheesy and touristy).

Last point: Ask the SP people for MTB riding recommendations, and do the same with the State Forest rangers, giving out that info is part of what they're paid to do and what they like to do. In that area you have a few different State Forests (Tioga, Tiadaghton, Susquehannock, Bald Eagle), and each one covers a lot of territory, so I'd call or stop in the offices of each one where you might be interested in riding.
    Last edited by XCoalMiner; 07-16-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Wellsboro spelling

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    If your going to travel as X coal suggested this might help:
    PA Wilds - Pennsylvania Wilds

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Check this post for a trip report in that "general" area from last year:

Potter County Trip Report [Jul 16-17]

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great info, since we both work nights and used to staying up late the Dark Skys program looks like a winner!

mtbr member
    I grew up Pine Creek and have biked for many years. I never head up the creek to bike. Those mountains are straight up. There is a nice trail just above the dam called Love Run. Love Run is a technical dh with a hike a bike *to get there is massive.* This trail has views and rock formations threw out it. Don’t think your going to hike your bike up Panther run and bike down Love Run. Did that….I learned a lesson.
    Look up West Rim Trail …This trail has a bunch(10+) of vistas.

mtbr member
    Gotcha, I think we hiked Panther run last year. I vaguely remember a trail to the left of the road just as you leave the campgrounds entrance headed towards the lake itself...gotta check the maps.