Thread: Used Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Used Bikes

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a place besides craigslist to shop for used bikes local? I am from Acme which is 45 minutes SE of pittsburgh or so. I am on a tight budget ($175-200 max) and every time I find a bike on there in my price range it is sold in minutes, lol.

I have had two back surgeries and need to get back into shape and my surgeon recommended riding. I am back in school since I can't do physical labor anymore and that is the only reason for the small budget.

Thanks,

-Mike

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

[SIZE=3]Local Bike Shops!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah I have tried those, lol. No luck yet, none of the ones around here have any used bikes. But thanks for the response.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Check with any community bike works type non-profits. You can sometimes also pick up bikes at police sales, but they carry some bad juju because they were usually stolen. Also, try any local cycling clubs, or finally craigslist.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    With that low of a budget, look on eBay for an older bike in good shape. They are out there you have to be patient.

For example, I bought my wife a nice bike (Specialized Stumpjumper) that cost $800. around 9 yrs ago, she never ended up riding much. I recently bought here a new comfort bike because of a medical conditon.

The 9 yr old bike is practically new and if I know I was to sell it (which I plan on doing) don't beleive I would get that much for it because of how old it is.

Give us an idea what size bike your looking for and maybe someone will post a few suggestions.

Because of you back, you probably want something with more of an upright riding position.

Good luck.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I am 5'10" (maybe 5'11"), I realize it will be an older bike. I would just like to avoid a Wal-Mart or Dick's bike due to what I have read about them. I have found a quite a few on Pittsburgh craigslist, but they sell fast. I emailed one guy 15 minutes after he posted a KHS and it was sold already, LOL.

Yeah I need a less aggressive riding position. I looked at a road bike actually but can't take that severe bent over riding position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does anyone have experience with a 2006 KHS Alite 150? I am going to look at one on Friday. I looked on KHS' web site and got some info about, but I was curious if anyone had any first experience.

Nice no rass
    For any KHS questions, call Bob at Cycle Sport & SKi in Greensburg. He's the local KHS dealer and a really nice old guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hmm I am in Greensburg a lot and I don't think I know where that's at. Thanks for the tip though.

Nice no rass
    Behind Valozzi's on 30.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was just looking at where it was on yahoo maps, lol. I think I will ride over there tomorrow after my final. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SVCoop
    Does anyone have experience with a 2006 KHS Alite 150? I am going to look at one on Friday. I looked on KHS' web site and got some info about, but I was curious if anyone had any first experience.
    The best thing is to take it for a test ride and see if it works for you. You probably won't get a users take on the bike since it a entry level bike and "most' of the people here ride more higher end bikes.

I looked at it on KHS site and it looks to be what you are looking for. It's a bike that will get you started. Just make if fits you and is comfortable for your back. Take it out for a 15 min. ride.

The 17" frame has a 23.2" top tube, the 19" frame has a 23.5" top tube and the 21" frame has a 24" top tube length. At 5' 11" you could probably ride either the 17" or 19" depending how you like your bike to fit. It looks like a pretty long stem on the bike so it's hard to say what would fit your needs.

The MSRP for the bike is $330. new if it's a new left over at a shop, you could get a pretty good discount, since they want to get rid of it. If it's used that would be even better. If it is new at a shop, I would go in and tell them your bike budget and see if they can meet your needs ,you might be surprised and walk out with it going a little over budget.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    spacoli thank you for the response. The bike is used from a private seller, from the pictures it looks to be in good shape. But I agree I plan to ride it to see. The seller says he is 5'11" and it fits him well, but I don't know how he is built. I seem to have long arms and legs for not being really that tall.

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    For any KHS questions, call Bob at Cycle Sport & SKi in Greensburg. He's the local KHS dealer and a really nice old guy.
    Eh, I dunno about that. I've had business with him in 2005 and he was kinda crappy on the days I had to deal with him. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but I don't think I'll be going back there for any business. He was also supposed to order a seal kit for my rear shock but he never did. I'd say pass on that place, but that's just from my experience.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Nice no rass
    Bob's a good guy, he does have health problems which could explain the bad days. In fact, he may not even be open any more, last time I talked to him last Summer he was talking about closing for good because of the surgeries he needed. He's always been good to me, but I've never bought more than small parts & tubes from him. He always seemed willing to help, so he might be a good source of info for this guy when it comes to KHS.

spacoli thank you for the response. The bike is used from a private seller, from the pictures it looks to be in good shape. But I agree I plan to ride it to see. The seller says he is 5'11" and it fits him well, but I don't know how he is built. I seem to have long arms and legs for not being really that tall.
    Sounds good, you should be able stay within your budget with a used bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I ended up buying a Kona Hahanna. It is entry level also, it rode much nicer and was more comfortable to me. It is more scratched up than the KHS but I got it for $60 less so I can live with scratches. I am sure I will ad to those this summer anyway, lol. I was more worried about the mechanics and everything works good. I want to change the grips and maybe a shorter stem but that's it for now.

Here's a crappy pic for now:

I ended up buying a Kona Hahanna. It is entry level also, it rode much nicer and was more comfortable to me. It is more scratched up than the KHS but I got it for $60 less so I can live with scratches. I am sure I will ad to those this summer anyway, lol. I was more worried about the mechanics and everything works good. I want to change the grips and maybe a shorter stem but that's it for now.

Here's a crappy pic for now:

As long as your happy, that's all that matters. You always have to fine tune the cockpit. It looks like you need to level out that seat a bit also. Riding like that is probably putting allot of pressure on your hands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Other than test riding it I haven't ridden it at all really. Tomorrow I hope to spend some time setting it up better for me, thanks for the tip on the seat. I know the KHS was Aluminum and this bike is Chromoly but for some reason it seems noticeably lighter.