mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Uphill/downhill right of way

I always thought that unless otherwise posted the general rule was that a rider going downhill yields to one going uphill. However at least 3 times in the last few months I have been going downhill on a trail at Marsh Creek and started to yield to an uphill rider only to have them say "go ahead, downhill rider has the right of way." Am I wrong about the general rule, is there something specific in Marsh Creek that it's reversed or were these other riders just mistaken?

It would be nice to clarify since the guidelines for yielding are only useful if everyone is following the same ones.

mtbr member
    I would like to know also.... here in Arizona it seems like most riders dont' have a f-ing clue.... or maybe I am the one with no clue.
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    I think the rational thing would be for the dh'er to yield...up hill rider is doing all the work and wouldn't want to lose momentum...but that's just me. Clarification would be nice.

mtbr member
    I know the uphill driver in an off road situation has the right of way, but not sure about bikes. One would think the up hill guy is the one. Most times I run into this there is enough room for both to pass.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Always remember that possibly the quick to yield uphill rider may actually be PSYCHED for a good excuse to rest!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I get that the rule is yield to the uphill rider, but it always seems to me that it is far easier for the uphill rider to yield to the downhill rider. Like, it's easier to dismount if your crawling up a super technical trail then it is if you are precariously riding down it.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Where is Emily Post when you need her?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Xjx: it sure is easier to stop when going up, but sometimes restart is a pita!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    If the person going down woulld have the right of way, it would quickly turn into, "get out of my way" and people would not slow down at all while passing people (hikers,bikers, runners) and we would not have any place to ride because we would be kicked out of everywhere. So please share this thought with anyone that thinks downhillers should have the right of way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If I'm doing a climb of an obvious downhill trail then I yield to the person coming downhill (or at least give them the choice). That's just me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've always heard that you should yield to climbers, and logically it makes sense. That being said I usually yield to people descending anyways.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    If they are wearing headphones on the downhill, the only proper thing to do is push them over.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If I'm going up and I see someone coming down,I slow down, wave them through and yell "Shred it up dude!"

sambabiker.com
    We should all slow down when passing uphill, downhill, or flat to show respect and courtesy to all trail users. Yes, the climber should have the right of way.
    If using headphones it is recommended to keep the volume at a level where you can still hear what is going on around you. More than once I have yell to warn someone of a trail hazard, but the person could not hear me due to the music. Just something to think about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    If they are wearing headphones on the downhill, the only proper thing to do is push them over.
    LOL... tbh I really do hate it when people blast music on headphones. Scare the bejesus out of them when you pass and they almost flatten you on the turns descending, just a lose - lose situation all around.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Always yield to the uphill rider.

That said, sometimes if I'm really just grinding it out on a climb and see someone ripping down, I'll probably get out of their way to let them continue on. I might just want a breather, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like othes, if I'm climbing a trail known for downhilling, I'll yield and let the rider fly by. I try to put myself in their shoes - it sucks to be bombing down your favorite descent only to encounter someone climbing up it. That's why I generally don't climb downhill trails. It's not much of an issue around here (central PA) as it is in more mountainous areas like Harrisonburg or Pisgah.

The White Jeff W
    I know the etiquette is for the downhill rider to yield but I usually pull off and let them go if I can. I endure climbing for the fun of going down hill and hate it when the payoff gets interrupted! I think every new bike, every new pair of hiking boots and every horse should go out the door with a flyer explaining trail etiquette.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Depends on where we are on the trail but usually I'm more likely to yield to a downhill rider so they can carry some speed. The only time I rarely yield is on techy climbs - need every chance I can get to clean those!

If I'm on an unfamiliar trail I just yield to everyone, unless they yell "Strava"
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.