Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    215

    Two mile community park?

    I am going to be racing at two mile on the 18th and was looking for some info on this track.

    Or of someone might want to ride it next week sometimes.

    Thanks

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

  2. #2
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,892

    Good job!

    I raced there a few years back, this is the park near Franklin, Pa Correct?

    We started in a grass uphill field crossed a stream bed and headed out on singletrack. We ran over a sandy banked stream on short low wooden bridges, quite a few of them. After that they threw in hills, Nice flowy course, never saw any really big climbs in the 7 or so mile loop. I have no idea if they are running it the same way.

    Will this help?
    Two Mile Run County Park - Mountain Biking
    There is a trail map you can DL, not sure what the race loop will be. Is there any info here: HOME | BIKE THE WILDS 2012 as far as trail/race map?

    I can't make the race, but will be out that way to ride it soon while visiting relatives and friends, prolly hit ANF and the Garoci Quarry and those wonderfull switchbacks near the Ridgeway area.

    Love's Canoe sales in Ridgeway, Dave Love, great guy, hope he's still around, used to be a ranger for the ANF, loads of info dueto the fact he build most of the trails out that way!
    Love's Canoe Rental & Sales - Boat Dealer | Facebook

    Hope the info helps...
    ...good Luck to ya!
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 08-03-2012 at 08:48 PM.

  3. #3
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,276
    I live about 1.5 hrs from there. Worth the drive?
    No moss...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    I was there earlier this year for the first time. As mentioned it can be a nice place to ride with some good flowy singletrack. The down side it's horibly marke imo, if my memory serves me correctly they suggest you go clockwise through the trails keeping the yelow markers on your one side which we found difficult because they are everywhere... along with other markers as well.

    We started out at the area with the picnic shelters which would be on your left I'm thinking 1 mile or so from the entrance if you've gone to the office and the boat launch etc you've gone too far. You can grab a map at the office or dl it which isn't a bad thing.

    as mentioned above you start by following a stream and crossing a number of wooden bridges then there's hills but nothing too technical. If you dont get lost it's much more enjoyable. Since then I have gotten a garmin etrex but have yet to get back there but plan on doing so.

    Good Luck!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    215
    I live about 1.5 hours from there too. I Wonder when they will have the course for the race set? I would like to go up next week for preride.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6
    I actually work in Franklin Pa and am a few minutes from it, I have never been up to it , but have been told its a decent little trail up there. I may have to take the bike up there next weekend if the weather holds and check it out. I usually hit Goddard state park quite regular(its paved) and The other trails in the area are really in pretty good shape if you are looking for some nice quiet paved trails.What kind of race is this?

  7. #7
    Hermit
    Reputation: swampboy62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    757
    These trails are put together pretty well, with some nice flowy riding, not that technical but still fun. I've ridden there twice and enjoyed the trails both times.

    My criticism, sent to the trail managers, was that it's very difficult to find your way around. There are three trail systems - equestrian, hike/bike & ski - riders are allowed on the horse trails, but not the ski trails. Intersections are not signed, but occasionally colored blazes show up. Having a map is of no use, since after a short while you can't tell which intersection you're at. If you're heading out there make sure you either have a GPS or plenty of time to find your way back.

    Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

    My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6

    Shocked

    Only heard of this trail recently from a coworker and he doesn't know a whole lot about it.Just that its there, I'm definetly gonna have to go check it out. Wouldn't imagine it get a lot of use, most in Franklin stick with the rail to trail they have there.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: endo_2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    32
    I tried to ride the trail system last fall and got turned around by all of the spurs shooting of the main trail. I would imagine the race would be marked much better than the normal trail. I get back to the area once or twice a year and would love to ride it with a local guide to make sure I get the best trip around it. I did hear there was possibly a group ride every Sunday morning. (cannot confirm this info)
    Ride first, drinks after!

    @endo_2011

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Glad to see I'm not the only who gets lost riding these trails.

  11. #11
    Hermit
    Reputation: swampboy62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by jws21 View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only who gets lost riding these trails.
    It's a damn shame, too. These guys put a lot of trouble into bringing back these trails, and the only thing that's lacking now is a little bit of signage. I know you can't really get LOST out there, but it's nice to be able to make a route without wandering around looking for a road or something.

    If anyone from Two Mile read this forum - please put up some signs, you'd double the riders at your trails!

    Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

    My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    91
    There has been a group ride every wednesday night this summer, the group meets at Pioneer Flats and rolls out about 6:00PM or a few minutes after that.

    Attempts have been made to mark trails but non-riding locals like to remove the signs.

    The race is a great event and this year the ladies ride for free!

  13. #13
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,276
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    I raced there a few years back, this is the park near Franklin, Pa Correct?

    We started in a grass uphill field crossed a stream bed and headed out on singletrack. We ran over a sandy banked stream on short low wooden bridges, quite a few of them. After that they threw in hills, Nice flowy course, never saw any really big climbs in the 7 or so mile loop. I have no idea if they are running it the same way.

    Will this help?
    Two Mile Run County Park - Mountain Biking
    There is a trail map you can DL, not sure what the race loop will be. Is there any info here: HOME | BIKE THE WILDS 2012 as far as trail/race map?

    I can't make the race, but will be out that way to ride it soon while visiting relatives and friends, prolly hit ANF and the Garoci Quarry and those wonderfull switchbacks near the Ridgeway area.

    Love's Canoe sales in Ridgeway, Dave Love, great guy, hope he's still around, used to be a ranger for the ANF, loads of info dueto the fact he build most of the trails out that way!
    Love's Canoe Rental & Sales - Boat Dealer | Facebook

    Hope the info helps...
    ...good Luck to ya!
    Followed your link to the Bike the Wilds page. From there was a link to some race photo's on Facebook. In the comments was this gem...

    "do you really have to run 2 miles? i am thinking of racing there next month."
    No moss...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: endo_2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Followed your link to the Bike the Wilds page. From there was a link to some race photo's on Facebook. In the comments was this gem...

    "do you really have to run 2 miles? i am thinking of racing there next month."
    Priceless.
    Ride first, drinks after!

    @endo_2011

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    215
    I just thought i would give a post race follow up.

    Let me start by saying that i love the trail from the race. That is my kind of technical riding with roots, logs, and fresh trails. The race was an 18 mile loop.

    The only issue i had was following the pink markers. I got lost 4 times and talked to others who got twisted up as well.

    All and all a great ride!
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •