mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Tuscarora Touring (Vaca & Dest x-post)

Gathered the last bits of gear I was missing, and hit the road....my first overnigher, fkna!!!

TR here: Blog Linky

Full gallery here: Gallery Linky

pics:

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Good job! Outstanding

So, I'm reading your blog, surfing the pics and my mind is drifting off to dreamland, imagining how perfect it is this time of year to be out riding. I decide to pay attention to the details in your pics when it smakcs me in the face. I recognize the foot bridge, Laurel Run, the gas station, the CCC camp in Horse Valley when it finally dawns on me that youíre riding through all the areas Iíve been hunting/hiking for the past 20 years. My cabin is up the road from Fowlers Hollow on Union Camp Road. Iíve hiked/hunted off of every trail/road youíve listed in your journal. Thatís some good/rough terrain you covered on your trip!!!!

Iíd love to know your exact route and which trails are open to riding. Iíve been digging around for that type of information for about 2 years and havenít found much. Many good trails to ride in that area!!!!! Please, post some more details or email me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HopHeads, Unite!
    Dude, just rode up there on sunday. Boiler is fuuuunnnnn.

Nice.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    here's a link for a rough map of the route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...e/877650242173

Trails that I rode, that are on the Tuscarora State Forest Map, I'm not spraying any secrets onto the interwebs:
    Sheriff Trail, Boiler Trail, looked at the the trail along Cold Spring that goes to Laurel Run Rd but there was an SATC event that I decided not to mingle with, it looks good to go though.

I've ridden enduro trail that parallels Turkey Pens, but didn't go there this time. From top of Boiler, I covered some ground, hitting Fowler's for H2O, then over to 274 and up out of the snowmobile lot near Shearer Dug north on Connector Tr to Concord Rd, steeeep climb/hike. Down into East Waterford then meandered out to McCullochs Mill and the Willow Run Gamelands. Began heading back from there, road/fireroad back to Fowler's Hollow. Then out the back of the park up into the hollow to camp along the TT at the creek spot below the shelter.

Left camp Sunday and refilled water before climbing Beaston Trail out of the park. Crested the short climb then bounced around on a network of named & unnamed trails, Hart Ridge, Shaefer, Sherman, Bistline. An interesting mixed of enduro and equine abused singletrack, tough riding w/ the load. Popped out an unknown rd, saw more enduro track heading off into the woods, opted to play it safe and found myself at the end of Couch Rd, about 10 minutes up the paved road from the park. Then up, up, up Laurel Run to Bower Mtn and left out the ridge for payback descent on Boiler Trail. Along Laurel Run and up Meadow Rd to Bill Miller Trail then rocking out across the Tusc Trail for the final plunge down to 233.

Other good trail that's on the map: Middle Ridge, Ant Hill, College and the TT off of 3SqrHollow/Cowpens. I'm curious about the enduro trail along Couch Rd that I skipped, Bowman's Trail north of Fowlers and the Iron Horse Trail along 274 looked like it was worth investigating where I crossed it on the way up to Concord Rd, ran into some moto trail here also.

I've also hiked a good bit up off of Kansas Valley, but it's been 5-10years since I was in that neck of the woods last. Not sure how well that stuff would ride.

And looking at the map further, there's even more trail up in the northern sector along Shade and Blacklog Mtn's. Thinking about it, I shoulda punched thru to Reeds Gap, just to see what's there, food options????

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tomimcmillar
    here's a link for a rough map of the route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...e/877650242173

I'm not spraying any secrets onto the interwebs:
    Tom, PM me if you're willing to share, please!! I know 95% of all the trails you listed in your last posting.

If you had turned onto Couch Road when you came out of Fowlers Hollow Park (while on Union Rd) you could snake all the way back through to hook up with 2nd Narrows Rd. A lot of trails through that valley but it's some rugged terrain. It can be about 16 miles on that route. I shot my first buck 20 years ago off of Couch Road.

As for Shear Dug and that entire side of Hemlock Road, another nice area. I've personally always liked the backside of Big Spring State park and all the virgin Hemlocks. That was till they started dying off the last few years. Sad, very sad to see decades old Hemlocks gray and dying!!!! Tons of nice side trails and a large area to cover.

Bowman's Trail and Iron Horse trail are nice. Iron Horse runs along the valley on the backside of Big Spring State Park and then crosses 274. Some sections are nice, but others were washed out a few years ago from flooding. The moto trail I think you're talking about is the snow mobile trail.

When you did the climb up Laurel Run to access Bower Mountain Rd, you could have turned right and rode that section of trail on top of the mountain. About 1-2 miles back in is the foundation for the old fire watch tower (under a batch of hard to miss Hemlocks) that has some amazing views. Probably one of my favorite places on earth!!!!!

Burns Valley is another large are to cover. You can access it off the top of Hemlock Rd and ride forever. The only ***** is it's a long steep climb out of the valley to get back to 274.

BTW, at the end of Hemlock Road, where it intersects with Upper Buck Ridge Rd is a ridge named after my family's last name, Trostle Ridge.

Horse Valley is a great area. We only started exploring that area about 2 years ago.

Anyway, it would be greatly appreciated if you'd be willing to share. Like I said, you can PM me and we can keep it off the boards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    m,

What's above is really all I know about the area. I was trying to say that I'm not spraying any secrets, because everything I know/described above is pretty much on the map.

Currently, I just don't know any secret stashes for that neck of the woods....everything I found to date has pretty much been on the map, except for some of the moto trail I bumped into around Couch Rd. Would like to explore more of that and reach up into Big Spring, looks like a bit more traffic and potential discoveries over there than on the 3Sqr side of the Forest....thanks for the beta on some of that.

T

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    LOL, ok Tom, sorry if I typed your ear off about those areas. A lot of potential in/around Big Spring Park. I've hiked/hunted the majoity of that valley for about 6-7 years and know it fairly well.