mtbr member

Trials in eastern PA?

I've been a big fan of trials ever since I started racing MX at Motorama and watching the trials comps in between motos but its taken me 15 years to actually break down and buy a bike...now that I have one and the weather is getting better I was wondering if there was still an active trials scene in eastern PA. I know Jay and a few others ride(or used to) and I was wondering if there was anyone near Berks county that still does it? Also being a rider with just the most basic skills are there any good online resources for tips and pointers for learning the different techniques?
    Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    try this one...

http://www.observedtrials.net/

Steve

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by NRSguy
    I've been a big fan of trials ever since I started racing MX at Motorama and watching the trials comps in between motos but its taken me 15 years to actually break down and buy a bike...now that I have one and the weather is getting better I was wondering if there was still an active trials scene in eastern PA. I know Jay and a few others ride(or used to) and I was wondering if there was anyone near Berks county that still does it? Also being a rider with just the most basic skills are there any good online resources for tips and pointers for learning the different techniques?
    NRSguy:

I was part of the Motorama org for 20 years and was sad to see it go as trials is no longer featured. We had Ot Pi, Libor Karas, Jeff Lenosky, and JJ Gregowicz as well as other great riders. Many of the guys are now separated and the NEPS series was the last I saw as far as organized competition.

We in NEPA still ride and go out for fun. To get it together would be great! You can visit our NEPMTBA site as we always have pics and articles on it.

I'm up for helping organize again. We have talked about this here in our area. Help is the big concern. I have properties available to set up and use, but everyone wants to compete rather than help day of event!

Good Luck
    Keep me posted

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    How about a non-comp, just a hootinanny for eastern PA trials?

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Check with...

Hit up the rocks at St. Peter's Village! Close to you.

Also, I believe that there's still a small scene going on in the West Chester area. Check with the Bike Line in the West Goshen shopping center (Paoli Pike). I believe that one of the guys that works (used to work) there was into it. Remember seeing a trials rig on the roof of his car now and again.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    sorry I wasnt able to post back sooner but things have been a little crazy around here lately...

thanks for all your feedback ,I started lurking on observedtrials .net and I will check out St Peters Village as soon as all the crappy weather goes away and I will defenately check out the NEPMTBA website as soon asn I get some free time
    Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

sorry I wasnt able to post back sooner but things have been a little crazy around here lately...

thanks for all your feedback ,I started lurking on observedtrials .net and I will check out St Peters Village as soon as all the crappy weather goes away and I will defenately check out the NEPMTBA website as soon asn I get some free time

One great place we used to have bicycle trials events at was Candytown motorcycle club near Hersey, Pa. They still run mortorcycle events there and we will be attending their motorcycle trials events this year. I will check with them if they have any interest in doing a bicycle trials event. We had many events there including the NEPS and just regular events. The bicycle trials events were on Saturdays before the motorcycle events.

The nice thing is they have a clubhouse with food served and the sections are right out the door. You park right by the clubhouse so if you need to tune a little between sections that helps.

The other place is the Durty Dabbers, again a motorcycle club in Farrandsville(near Lock Haven). They aslo did the same, bicycles on Saturday, motorcycles on Sunday.

Sorry the pics not from either place just a Great pic!

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Former NEPS/Motorama rider

Hi, I used to compete in the NEPS and Motorama events and for a while there was a pretty good scene. Then a lot of guys got more into the urban thing, jumping, or freeride, or XC. Now there is not much of a trials scene happening but there are a number of us who still dust off our trials bikes for a fun ride. St. Peters is great, but a bit tough for a beginner, most of it is one move right into another with no room to roll, good static hopping skills are a must. I used to ride at the Philly art museum almost every day, there are a ton of great lines with good roll in and out, which is perfect for a new rider. The Penn and Drexel campus' were always fun for urban trails, just watch for the cops. Candytown was great too, as was Thunder Rocks at Allegheny for Raccoon Rally. We used to do NEPS events at a couple ski areas too, Bear Creek was one of them. BC has done a lot of trail building and it would be cool to see if Chuck would be into building some trials sections. Drop me an email at jttrails@hotmail.com if you want to ride sometime.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/