mtbr member

Trexlertown Bike Show....

Bike show/ Flea market at the Trexlertown Velodrome is Saturday Oct 13th. Hopefully there will be a good amount of sellers and buyers coming out. Anybody headed that way?
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'll be stopping in. It's still a big event, but they have had some fall-off in the number of commercial vendors and individuals with booths selling things in the last year or two. Last fall they had lots of open spaces out on the infield, and the swap this spring was really small, about 1/3 the usual number of vendors.

Three years ago they had three of these in one season, early spring, mid-summer and the traditional fall one. From that year on the fall show has never been as huge as in the past. And I know the management of the velodrome has changed out twice in that time period, also. This is also when gas prices spiked up, so maybe fewer people willing to travel the longer distances to go there. Still very worth while to go, the only one this big in the mid atlantic.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Jeff:

I'm between a rock and 3 hard places!

Marsh Creek Race Oct 13th.....everyone wats to go!
    Velo Swap Oct 13th.....Rick wants to go!
    Ringwood H2H MTB Race Finals Oct 14th....Yes, the final race of the series!

Looks like a Banner weekend...if I don't see ya don't buy anything I wouldn't...LOL!

mtbr member

Thanks for the history/background of the show XCoalminer...

Hopefully this fall will be good. I have gone since I moved to PA in 2002. Other than the rain year, I have enjoyed the event. Good people, Good stuff to look at or buy/sell, and gives me a better idea of how diverse the biking community can be. The messenger crew, the amish, the uber techies, single speeders, etc...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The people watching there is the best part, ... after all the cool stuff you can get at a bargain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I agree that it hasn't been the same the last few years. There is less and less MTB stuff there each year.
    With the rise in popularity of ebay, some people think their old parts are worth big bucks.
    It's still a fun way to spend a Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The lady and I will be there. Gotta stock up on cheap tubes, socks, gloves etc. We're both buying new bikes in Nov. Maybe we'll get to try some we haven't demo'd yet, just to satisfy curiousity.

Bicycle repairman
    I'm going to try and go again. I always spend a fortune there and have come home with some great oddball bikes over the years. On a side note, there's also a vintage bike swap this Sunday at the Goodwill fire company (Behind the Velodrome at the corner of 100 and 222) This show is huge when the weather is nice. Mostly antiques, balloon tire bikes, and Sting-Rays but some other great newer items turn up there too. See you there!
    Too many bikes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Years ago, there was a tradition of groups of people, who had money left after leaving the swap meet, head over to Shangy's in Emmaus, and do a bottle swap in the parking lot, (Pa case law, 24 minimum at distributors). Hadn't seen this in a while, but if anyone's interested, ...

Map

mtbr member

Might have been the BEST ever....

Show today for me was the best ever. Most people selling, buying, and hanging around in all the shows I have attended. Lots of people there very early as well as staying late. Didn't get as much time to look around this year as we were helping our LBS set up and maintain there booth out on the race track. Sold 2 of my bikes and another friend who came with me sold 2 of his. Got over to the SpeedGoat booth, whoa, some smokin' deals on shocks and frames. Some amazing people watching also.. Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Got a new 07 Specy Stumpy FSR Expert for $1000. A NEW shock pump for $8. Gloves, tubes, etc. I think I did ok.
    Last edited by manowar669; 10-15-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Freshly Fujified

Interesting buy

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669
    Got a new 07 Specy Stumpy Expert for $1000.
    Spesh website lists no hardtail Stumpy Expert in the '07 lineup, and the FSR Expert has a $3300 list. What did you buy for a grand?
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member

Swap Meet

Lots of people showed up today. I just missed a pair of Sidi Dominators in a size 46. My boy was able to snatch a pair of the Sidiís and a Fox Fork at a more then fair price. I did get a floor pump, and a few base layers, so I feel I did OK.
    If you ever attend, make sure you get your tubes early. I made the mistake of waiting and missed out on a decent deal. All tubes gone in about one hour (5 for $10.00).
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Spesh website lists no hardtail Stumpy Expert in the '07 lineup, and the FSR Expert has a $3300 list. What did you buy for a grand?
    It's an FSR Expert test bike (green), but if it's been ridden, I surely can't tell. Everything is shiny and new, and there isn't a scratch on the frame, or any of the components (chain, rings, discs, shock tubes, etc.) to indicate any trail time at all. I know it lists for $3300, and the LBS is a specy dealer and is selling '07s for $2600, so I figured I got an excellent deal. It was at the beacon stand, and they originally had $1495 on it. I talked to the guy and asked if he could go lower. I had to come back a few times, and maybe he was getting sick of me, but eventually he took the $1000. Actually, my fiance bought it for me as a birthday present.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Agreed, it was a good show, most participation for a few years. The infield is super cool, excellent time looking at all the stuff there.

Freshly Fujified

Dayum!

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669
    It's an FSR Expert test bike (green), but if it's been ridden, I surely can't tell. Everything is shiny and new, and there isn't a scratch on the frame, or any of the components (chain, rings, discs, shock tubes, etc.) to indicate any trail time at all. I know it lists for $3300, and the LBS is a specy dealer and is selling '07s for $2600, so I figured I got an excellent deal. It was at the beacon stand, and they originally had $1495 on it. I talked to the guy and asked if he could go lower. I had to come back a few times, and maybe he was getting sick of me, but eventually he took the $1000. Actually, my fiance bought it for me as a birthday present.
    Excellent find, and a very generous fiance'.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Excellent find, and a very generous fiance'.
    Yeah, she's the best. I got into MTBing because of her. I have too many hobbies, now MTBing is pushing other hobbies out. I rode the bike again tonite, playing with the suspension. I think I have it where I like it, or pretty close. I really like the bike.

Uphill hater
    Was indeed a great show, i was shocked after the last 2 years when I pulled up at 7 am to unload and there were a ton of people already there. Enjoyed looking at the gear and people watching the bike messengers! Even blogged about messengers! Can't wait till the next one. But....it will always be the Lehigh Valley Velodrome to me and not the corporate name.
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner1
    Can't wait till the next one.
    How could it have been if you left with money in your pocket and still sober?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by minus9
    How could it have been if you left with money in your pocket and still sober?
    Was there beer there? I got there at 8:15am, maybe a bit early for beer,.......nah

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ^^ Actually there was. Per the announcer, they were selling Sam Adams in their Breakaway Cafe. Started doing it pretty early too.