mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Trexler maps / route directions?

Thinking of heading to Trex for the 1st time.

Are there maps at the trailhead (or anywhere else)? I found a google maps image with color coded trails overlaid, but that doesn't work on a laser printer.

Also found an old loop description on the VMB site (the part I can see) so if anyone has recommended directions, I'd be interested in those too.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    First, I think you can now see all parts of VMB again.

Secondly, there aren't maps at the trailhead, but once you get on the trail, there are signs pointing you every which way.

Basically, if you're parking at the old horse stable (the usual parking area), do this:

1. Directly to the right of the jeep road entrance is singletrack heading up the opposite direction. This is the main trail that runs front to back.

2. Make the first left off of that trail. You will follow this up to the top, past a water tank, a little further up, you'll get spat out onto the jeep road, keep following it up and you'll see another trailhead sign. This is where the ripping begins.

3. At the bottom of the ripping, you'll get spat out onto the main trail, cross right over it to continue on more twisty fun.

4. The twisty fun will then spit you back out onto the main trail, where you keep going, and then you'll see another entrance on your right (make sure to not go in where it says Do Not Enter at any point along this trail)

5. More twisty fun. Then you'll get spat out onto the main trail again

6. Just keep following this. There will be a few distinct sections but they all tie together, just keep going straight at any intersection you see.

7. After the last section, with the BIG rollers and banked turns, you'll get spat out onto the main trail. You can turn right here to repeat the last big section of fun, or you can turn left on that main trail and head back to the other stuff.

8. Make your way somehow (going back to the beginning is best for a first timer) back up to that water tank along the jeep trail. Keep following the jeep trail until you see a picnic table. This table is the entrance to Broken Arrow/Fireman's trail.

9. After passing the picnic table, look closely for some flags or maybe a sign off to your left. You'l see a defined singletrack trail, that is Broken Arrow.

10. Follow that alllll the way down, just keep zigzagging with it.

11. Eventually, you'll get to the bottom, where there is a trailhead sign, and a jeep road heading back up the hill away from the road- follow this jeep trail all the way back up to the top where the water tank is, and then instead of riding down the jeep trail to your car, I recommend go up past the water tank, and enter that trailhead at the top that puts you on the first twisty section- when you get to the end of that, make a right onto the main trail, right back to the car.

That may be confusing- honestly just take a trail map from VMB and between that and this you'll be good, the trail is well marked.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wait, this might be easier. Print the color trail map from VMB.

From parking lot:

1. Orange
    2. First left onto Purple
    3. Purple spits onto jeep trail, look for trailhead again soon
    4. Purple... cross over orange, continue Purple
    5. Purple turns right into Orange/Purple (or left to repeat the last section)
    6. Right onto Purple (HP)
    7. Right onto Orange (or left to repeat)
    8. Orange turns into Blue... one big long section, just keep going straight, ignore side trails
    9. Blue spits onto Orange. Go right to repeat, go left on Orange to head back to other sections/car
    10. Make your way to where Purple first split off of Orange, right after the parking lot on the start of the ride
    11. Follow Purple up past water tank, get on jeep road and follow jeep road til you hit picnic table
    12. Past picnic table is Yellow... follow all the way to bottom.
    12. Follow red (jeep trail) back to top
    13. Repeat any section, you'll notice everything more or less stems off of orange.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you are running tubes, bring two spares. I haven't had a flat in a long time there, but there's other days we've had 4 flats between 3 riders.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Jared - thanks for the directions and the tip re VMB. Now it looks like it'll be a couple weeks before I can get there though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    just caught wind of this place from a friend, gonna try and visit this weekend... with it being fall in PA and all, do i need to be concerned about hunters on saturday?

mtbr member
    Archery and Fall Turkey...wear orange consisting of 100 sq. inches (10x10), although Pennswoods aren't exactly crawling with hunters during these seasons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMoBomber View Post
    Archery and Fall Turkey...wear orange consisting of 100 sq. inches (10x10), although Pennswoods aren't exactly crawling with hunters during these seasons.
    thanks. wasn't sure if this section of woodland was off limits to hunters.

mtbr member
    It is open to Archery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It is open to archery right now, but the only time I've seen a hunter this year was as he was pulling a kill to his truck down at Game Preserve Rd, he killed it the night before but lost it in the woods. Be safe and wear orange of course, but don't let hunting deter you from here!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    I saw at least 5 bow hunters yesterday and heard numerous gunshots. My friend said that bird hunting was in season so i wasnt worried about the gunshots. The bow hunters weren't near the trails at all. Trails are in excellent condition with very little ground cover from leaves.
    Have fun!
    Niner Rip 9 RDO w/ 140 Pike
    2012 Specialized Secteur

smell my finger
    Most, if not all gunshots should come from the state gamelands rifle range, it's about 2 miles from the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Was there today for first time. Ton of fun. Heard gunshots that seemed to come from across Mill Creek, definitely a ways away by the sound.

The areas that had the shrubbrush reminded me and my wife of an area of Cali we lived in for a bit. Looked a lot like Manzanita brush, just without the red bark.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.