mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Trees down at Frances Slocum

Hey guys, went for a ride at Frances Slocum today. I was just wondering what is going on as there are big trails down all over the trails causing a lot of hike a bike sections. One section is completely blocked by a huge downed tree. Are these trees going to be cleared out? Im just upset because these trees are making a place I love to ride not much fun to ride anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardman27 View Post
    Hey guys, went for a ride at Frances Slocum today. I was just wondering what is going on as there are big trails down all over the trails
    Are they Cut down or blow downs? it was a long hard winter..and big trees do fall
    on our trails. And as far as them being cleared out, there is a great group of riders who maintain Slocum Im sure they will take care of them. Its still early in the riding season, hang in there
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I haven't managed to get thru the park, but I'm optimistic it's blow down as we've had nothing from the park about anything otherwise.

Now, as to a schedule for work, that's remaining to be worked out. Sorry.

Hopefully that'll get worked out with the park in a reasonable time frame.

Did you ever have ham?

Trails Blocked at Frances Slocum

Hey everyone! I decided to hit up the trails at FS for a good ride on Tuesday. You will have to forgive me because I don't know the names of the trails up there. There are two big trees down totally blocking the trails. Is there going to be a work day to get them cut out?Trees down at Frances Slocum-dscf8518resize.jpgTrees down at Frances Slocum-dscf8526resize.jpg
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    As soon as park management approves.

No-one is authorized to even do cleanup like that without prior coordination.

Thanks.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    As soon as park management approves.

No-one is authorized to even do cleanup like that without prior coordination.

Thanks.
    We pay taxes for these trails and recreation is a big part of our existence as humans! I speak with lots of people who enjoy this park when I ride, hike, camp, or fish.

Since these trails are advertised as "OPEN" lets get and keep then open! I completely understand trees fall down on their own time frame, but I ride here a lot and these trails have been blocked for weeks!

On another note in the past myself and Chris Stine have hosted the Tuesday night rides at this park, later I steeped aside to help at Moon lake but Chris kept this alive(a very good thing he has been doing it a long time at FS) He has helped and shown many people the fun of riding mt bikes at this great park!

Mr Bradish: Please allow volunteers to help with "minor" trail maintenance like removing tress with hand tools. You know in the past we have worked together and my offer still stand to help you and park anyway I can. I have a volunteer application on file at the park. There are lots of people who would help get these trails open in a wink, me being one of them, I always have a saw in my pack when I ride and I could have cut that mess out in minutes!

Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA

mtbr member
    Everybody who rides should carry a small folding saw with them. Heck, arms need a workout too!!!!

That's probably why some people don't like to ride with me - 'cause I can't just leave something when something can be done about it.

If I see something that I think I can cut and move, I cut and move!! Prior authorization be damned!!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    In the past, I've informed park folks about downed trees and they both appreciated the input and taken care of the trees. I know I've been slack in reporting the bigger stuff that I can't deal with at Slocum.

The three big ones that I know of: (1) on Blindside -- down, big, not avoidable. Could hurt someone flying down the hill. (2) at the intersection of "Lakeside" and "the right Granny connector" -- annoyingly blocking the bottom of the trail triangle there, and (3) at the top of "BLT" approaching the top of "Granny" and the gravelly 1.5 track -- there are a few downed trees (rideable as log bridges) and one dangerous looking widow maker.

Best,
    Mark

Did you ever have ham?
    Yup, I carry a folding saw with me, too! I understand that the ranger is in charge of the park and what happens there. However, if something like this happens. The people who use the park should be allowed to clear the trails in order for people to use them.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I received word that the trees have been taken care of. Thanks to the trail gnomes.

Best,
    Mark

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    So, now trails are open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT...
    ...but bear said "permission" was necessary?

Lots of people assign titles to themselves and do very little to help...
    ...the needs of the many are resolved by the deeds of the few!!!!!!!!!

Dig trail
    Dude!

Did you ever have ham?
    Please pass on my thanks to the trail gnomes!!!