mtbr member
    May 2004

Trails near State College,PA?

Hey, I was wondering if there are any trails near State College because I may be transfering to Penn State in the future. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You bet

When you get into town, drop me an email or check in with the Bicycle Shop on College Avenue or Mt. Nittany Wheelworks on Atherton Street. Both places will give you good info on the trails (most of the employees ride all the time), they also have Purple Lizard Maps that give you the overall scoop too. Plenty of trails and fireroads within minutes of campus, you won't be dissapointed. The Wilderness 101 cross country MTB race starts in a small town outside if SC (Coburn) and runs all through the trails and fireroads. Raceday is 7/24.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thats great!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    In addition to the LBS's mentioned, a great resource is the local club, Nittany Mountain Bike Association. They do a lot of rides, and a lot of trail work. And they have a great website. Check out www.nittanymba.org/

And in addition to the 101 race mentioned, the State College area riding was also immortalized with the IMBA Epic, "Roots, Rocks, and Ridges." That's on the "Purple Lizard" map mentioned above.

Keep on Rockin...

Smile Big SS race there this Memorial day weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by SEvEnDuSt717
    Hey, I was wondering if there are any trails near State College because I may be transfering to Penn State in the future. Thanks.

With any luck I'll be there to race it.

Mike

mtbr member

Damn that Purple Lizard Map.....

I got back from Penn State yesterday and spent a weekend of riding with a friend in the area. He himself is new to the Mt. Nitney area and acquired a Purple Lizard map for us to follow on our day long treks.

Several of the trail portions that are on the map are not entirely accurate or existent at all. We got the map through a 'Sheets' location and assumed it was accurate. For the most part it was, however, there are several very large sections of the MST (Mid State Trail marked red) and the Blue Trail where it goes through posted private property and even worse, it dissappears altogether. Our sunday ride ended up being much more than we bargained for when the MST led to a private property that was pretty well posted on every tree in the area as if to say 'Get the F**** off this property!', however, we had gone so far into the trail (at least 3 miles of some pretty crappy, muddy, thorny, overgrown trail) that going forward was more ideal to get out of the section quickly. When we got to the point where the lead off trail was, it was non-existent or poorly marked. We ended up having our own made up excursion down the side of Nitney Mountain at break neck speeds thanks to mud and leaves and roots, and orienteered through the forest into the back of someone's farm.

It was exhilirating and quite fun, however, we do have many regrets following the trail map as we were on trails we most likely shouldn't have been on and were trespassing big time on someone's farm.

Just an FYI, the map is not entirely accurate.

Regards.

I am the owl

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by yobdlog
    there are several very large sections of the MST (Mid State Trail marked red) and the Blue Trail where it goes through posted private property and even worse, it dissappears altogether.
    FYI - the Mid State Trail is off limits to bikes.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    FYI - the Mid State Trail is off limits to bikes.
    We did realize that when he hit the MST and it stated it at the intersection of one trail into another, we would've just appreciated knowing that 'prior' to descending from 2200 feet onto it.

mtbr member

Other things that made us go...HOLY CRAPOLA!!

A guy in full camo and a shotgun (in what we thought was a NON-HUNTING area). He didn't look pleased to see us as we were on a rapid descent on a valid singletrack, so we probably scared away his prey.

A guy with two HUGE german shepherds off of their leash eager to show us some loving (they didn't appear to be vicious, just jubilant to see two riders zooming down near them).

Thankfully, he caught their collars in time.

Those cute flowery bushes you'd think are okay to crash into if you lose control, are full of long spiny thorns that really dig into you.

I'm still removing a good portion of them from my sides....owweee.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sorry to hear the tribulations, but glad you could see the up-side of unexpected adventure--all the more reason to ride with the club!

Quote Originally Posted by yobdlog
    I got back from Penn State yesterday and spent a weekend of riding with a friend in the area. He himself is new to the Mt. Nitney area and acquired a Purple Lizard map for us to follow on our day long treks.

Several of the trail portions that are on the map are not entirely accurate or existent at all. We got the map through a 'Sheets' location and assumed it was accurate. For the most part it was, however, there are several very large sections of the MST (Mid State Trail marked red) and the Blue Trail where it goes through posted private property and even worse, it dissappears altogether. Our sunday ride ended up being much more than we bargained for when the MST led to a private property that was pretty well posted on every tree in the area as if to say 'Get the F**** off this property!', however, we had gone so far into the trail (at least 3 miles of some pretty crappy, muddy, thorny, overgrown trail) that going forward was more ideal to get out of the section quickly. When we got to the point where the lead off trail was, it was non-existent or poorly marked. We ended up having our own made up excursion down the side of Nitney Mountain at break neck speeds thanks to mud and leaves and roots, and orienteered through the forest into the back of someone's farm.

It was exhilirating and quite fun, however, we do have many regrets following the trail map as we were on trails we most likely shouldn't have been on and were trespassing big time on someone's farm.

Just an FYI, the map is not entirely accurate.

Regards.

Inbred Homebrewer

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by SEvEnDuSt717
    Tons of technical riding in the area. Education aside, the trails are probably one of the best reasons to go to PSU. Have a local take you on your first few rides so you don't get lost or shot. Deer Pens, Shingletown Gap, Tussey Mt (ride to the mountain, climb to the fire tower, then bomb down 'the edge'), the Magic Carpet, all great.

If you're sick (and it's not completely illegal and/or frowned upon, which it may be now for all I know!), ask someone to take you up to the top of Mt. Nittany (great place to camp, btw!). You'll have to hike-a-bike up to the top unless you take the long way around on the jeep road. The hiking trail to the top is too steep to ride up. Once you get to the top, take a while to soak in the scenery on Derek's tree swing, then try really hard not to go over-the-bars or head-first into a tree on the way back down. It's scary-steep (or, at least, it was when I last tried it on an aluminum HT with cantilever brakes (!!) back in '95 or '96). At the time, it was more or less unridable, but what the hell? It was worth a shot! Lemme know if you clean it, 'cos I never did. And remember, no skidding!!!

Enjoy.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Tons of technical riding in the area. Education aside, the trails are probably one of the best reasons to go to PSU. Have a local take you on your first few rides so you don't get lost or shot. Deer Pens, Shingletown Gap, Tussey Mt (ride to the mountain, climb to the fire tower, then bomb down 'the edge'), the Magic Carpet, all great.

If you're sick (and it's not completely illegal and/or frowned upon, which it may be now for all I know!), ask someone to take you up to the top of Mt. Nittany (great place to camp, btw!). You'll have to hike-a-bike up to the top unless you take the long way around on the jeep road. The hiking trail to the top is too steep to ride up. Once you get to the top, take a while to soak in the scenery on Derek's tree swing, then try really hard not to go over-the-bars or head-first into a tree on the way back down. It's scary-steep (or, at least, it was when I last tried it on an aluminum HT with cantilever brakes (!!) back in '95 or '96). At the time, it was more or less unridable, but what the hell? It was worth a shot! Lemme know if you clean it, 'cos I never did. And remember, no skidding!!!

Enjoy.
    Holy Crap!

I did that "exact" same ride you just described. That's where the Purple Lizard map got my buddy and I all f'd up. We started at Shingletown Gap where we parked and went up the rock trail up to the singletrack, up the fireroad, to a kick ass ridge descent (where we ran into the hunter and the dogs), and then back down across a highway past the iron smelt place and then up the 10 degree grade road up to the jeep road under the power lines up the scenic view where campers have left their garbage behind in a firepit, and down that scary ass descent (yes we skidded but not willingly) and right through the thornbushes, mud, and forest, and out through a farmers yard and back onto the road to Mountain Rd. back to our truck.

It was our very own 31 mile loop called the "Tussey Mountain Where The Hell Are We" trail ride.

mtbr member
    Every square inch of the Mt Nittany is now off limit for bikes. Locals thought aobut pressing the issues but why, Rothrock and Bald Eagle have more single track than you can see in an entire summer.

You can also take a look at a map I've made of Rothrock's central portion.
    http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/.../cyclemaps.htm

ctg
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    Every square inch of the Mt Nittany is now off limit for bikes. Locals thought aobut pressing the issues but why, Rothrock and Bald Eagle have more single track than you can see in an entire summer.

You can also take a look at a map I've made of Rothrock's central portion.
    http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/.../cyclemaps.htm

Great map! I live in Berks and have been planning on getting out to either Bald Eagle or Rothrock later this summer. Are any of the trails blazed? Also are they well traveled or more remote? I ask because I'd likely be riding solo and don't want to choose remote high technical trails for my initial trip. Any tips on good camping sites would be great as well...

Thanks, Chris

www.chrisgroff.com mtb in se pa

mtbr member
    While it is certainly understandable that someone could get lost using the Purple Lizard map, I still think it is an excellent map overall, and I actually have an older version (I think there is a newer edition at local shops). However, even on my older map, it clearly states that the MST is off limits to bikes, as well as "natural areas" (such as Bear Meadows).

Anyone thinking of riding around here should definitely try and ride with someone who knows the trails (I'd be glad to show people around if I can). If that isn't possible, I'd say try and use the Purple Lizard map, but just be cautious and pay attention to signs and stuff like that.

FYI, It's virtually impossible to start at Shingletown Gap and ride to Mt. Nittany without going through basically the whole valley (highways, farms, towns... no singletrack... two totally different ridges). It would be a cool road ride though

Chris (or anyone else), if you want suggestions about where to ride, where to camp, etc.... send me an email (dcm229[at]hotmail[dot]com) or a private message and I'll give you detailed info.