Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trails near Media (Delco)

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Gigantic 
#1 ·
New to the area, looking for advice on trails close to Media ?. I don't know if I would be best driving to Philly (Wiss) or Brandywine. I hiked Smedley last week (yellow trail) but I'm not sure if that's meant for MB's.

Thanks much

#2 ·
Marsh Creek in Downingtown; Nockamixon; White Clay in DE; there might be closer ones, sorry, I live in Allentown so I'm not super familiar with stuff down there.

Definitely make the trip up to the Trexler Game Preserve trails this summer! It is worth the drive.

#3 ·
Pretty much exactly what Jared said and I agree definitely plan on hitting trexler [near allentown] sometime, that place is awesome. Wiss & Brandywine are both good places but brandywine has a bit more mileage. Below is a list of trails within an hour of media, each with its own unique qualities. Please let me know if you need any info on where to park etc.
I live near Marsh Creek in Downingtown so I frequent the following trails.

Marsh Creek - There are 2 sides the dam side and boat launch side both are good. Not too challenging but fun.
Harmony Hill - Downingtown [downhill or uphill]
Saw Mill Trails - Downingtown [lot's of climbing and off camber roots, a bit challenging]
Betzwood - Valley Forge [can be muddy, worth going to]
Belmont Park - Philly [more log overs per mile than tree farm after a tornado passing]
Wiss - Philly [long climbs, some fun downhill, some cool drops and a bit technical]
Brandywine - PA/DE on route 202 [some technical areas some good descents can have a lot of milage]
Fair Hills - Maryland [great system similar to white clay]
White Clay / Middle Run / Judge Morris (all interconnected) - Newark DE [extremely flowy, dont ride these trails during or shortly after a rain - lots of mileage, not technical at all. Lots of great rollers, well worth the trip]
French Creek - Rocks, then more rocks, then climbing with a side of rocks.
Philadelphia Pump Track - Currently under construction opening in May.
Nockamixon - Awesome flowy trails
Launch Bike Park - Spring Mountain - downhill

Places that I havent been to but are close:
Swarthmore College Trails / Crum Wood / Smedley Park (behind Springfiled Mall)
St. Petes - near french creek, west of philly by about an hour
Bonner Park - Philly (glen mills)
John Heinz National Wildlife Reserve - Philly
Ridley Creek State Park - Media
Core Creek - North East Philly (Langhorne)
Neshaminy: North East Philly

#6 ·
Ok sounds great, I actually live in Michigan and fly down on the weekends to see my family (long story but finishing my career up here/looking for job down there). Anyways I would love to get together one of these upcoming weekends if that works with you. I know my daughter is in town this weeknd so that's probably not real good for me, but anytime after. Thanks again

#11 ·
Tried the Wiss

Thanks Mike, I actually joined some of those groups but most of the rides are during the week when I'm back in Michigan. Hopefully I'll be moving out there soon; appreciate it. @Dung Hopper; Sent you a last minute PM when I was in town over the weekend but looks like we couldn't cross paths (no pun intended), In hindsight maybe I should have just posted to this link. Anyways I decided to try Wissahickon instead of Brandywine cause frankly it looked like it was impossible to get lost there and I had limited time. All I can say is holy cow, the first hill that's just west (north maybe) of Green Valley Inn is where I started and It was a killer. I must admit, either my tires or lungs gave up halfway up and I had to walk a portion of this. I continued around on the upper part of the valley all the way back towards Lincoln Dr then went back up the opposite side of the river (some guys showed me how to get there past Forbidden Dr). I was thoroughly impressed by Wiss and at the same time a bit disappointed that I wasn't in shape enough to make every hill. My only solace was that later back at Green Valley that some guys were saying its not unusual to have to push up some of the hills.

Well I'll be gone on a cruise this next weekend but lets try to hook up and ride after that at some point.

#17 ·
I was thoroughly impressed by Wiss and at the same time a bit disappointed that I wasn't in shape enough to make every hill. My only solace was that later back at Green Valley that some guys were saying its not unusual to have to push up some of the hills.
wait until you get passed by a guy on a single speed while you're pushing. Then, you'll really feel disappointed...

#12 ·
"All I can say is holy cow, the first hill that’s just west (north maybe) of Green Valley Inn is where I started and It was a killer. I must admit, either my tires or lungs gave up halfway up and I had to walk a portion of this."
I've never gotten up that. IF I ride it, it's going down, but I usually skip it all together and opt for a longer route. Across the river from the inn is a climbable incline. I usually start at the extreme southern part of Wiss and take a big lap north, on the west side first.

I live in Springfield, work in Exton, maybe a mile from Marsh Creek. It's a fun park, but terrible after some rain or snow. It turns into a mud pit.

I'd join those meet-up groups, but i'm nervous I'll be embarrassingly slow. I moved to Springfield this past July from south jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadapabapadoo-op

#13 ·
Harmony Hill is typically much more forgiving after a rain (volume dependent). There's a parking lot off of 322 as well as skelp level, let me know if you are ever interested in going there. I tend to be home from work around 6pm or so.
j

#14 ·
@ Map204, Thanks heavens I'm not the only person with some issues getting up that monster. Also glad I'm not the only person concerned about being the "anchor" of one of the Meet Up groups lol, I'm only in town on the weekends but I'd definitely be up for meeting up for a ride in the future (With Dung Hopper too if interested).

#15 ·
That'd be great. I've got a wedding this weekend, but I'll PM you before a weekend soon.

Also, I've been meaning to check out Harmony Hill.... Maybe after work sometime soon. If anyone is in the Exton area, I'll be riding Marsh Creek around 5:45 - 6 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadapabapadoo-op

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.