mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Trails near Lancaster

Any good riding near Lancaster. I will be attending a conference in 2 weeks. Looking for singletrack a 1/2 hour or so away. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Blue Marsh is about 1/2 hour. May still be really soft.

mtbr member
    Mount Gretna is even closer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Blue Marsh will be a mess for the next few weeks until the freeze/thaw is done.....

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by drnich
    Any good riding near Lancaster. I will be attending a conference in 2 weeks. Looking for singletrack a 1/2 hour or so away. Thanks.
    two options are Camp Mack near Brickerville, or Governor Dick in Mt. Gretna. maps and descriptions are here, both are within 1/2 hour drive.

Camp Mack dries out faster because it's mostly up or down and seems to have a more sand/redstone gravel kind of soil.
    Gov. Dick has a lot more family hikers and dog walkers on nice weekend days, as well as having some trails that take a good warm dry stretch to not be muddy.

If you are around here over a weekend, post up when you'll be riding and maybe join one of our group rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the info. I will likely expliore Gov Dick. Any chance Blue Marsh would be dry enough with the warm weather?

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by drnich
    Thanks for the info. I will likely expliore Gov Dick. Any chance Blue Marsh would be dry enough with the warm weather?
    I haven't been there lately, but I know from experience and from what the conditions are like in my area which is about 25 miles away, that things are really soggy right now from the spring thaw. Blue Marsh has a lot of "marsh" areas that take a quite a bit longer to dry out. Personally, I would avoid it until there has been about 3 solid weeks of dry weather.

Gov. Dick should be descent, only a few seasonal wet spots. And, you should get out and ride it now before the good trails there become "foot travel only" in May.

smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    And, you should get out and ride it now before the good trails there become "foot travel only" in May.
    Wait... what?

mtbr member
    Yup. Most of what we consider good to ride will be closed. They have approved a "new" trail may be made conecting the route off of 72 to the pinch road side. Kinda through the free ride stuff that does not exist now.

sambabiker.com
    Yes the rumor is true. There will be changes to how you use Gov. Dick starting in May. I will be posting a new thread here shortly with all the information.
    Brian

Nervous Descender
    Can you elaborate on this a little bit?

Also, I'm going to be in the Manheim, PA area during easter weekend and will probably check out Gov. Dick if I get a favorable report on the trail conditions. Is it drying yet? Trails in upstate NY are currently unrideable.

Thanks!
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)