mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Trails Near Erie, PA?

I go to school in Erie,PA (Mercyhurst College). I ride XC and have been looking for some good trails in the area and possibly some sort of ridding club.

I was wondering if anyone knows of some good trails in the area. I've not really found anything, but thats just looking online, I'm home now for the summer. Aside from going into the LBS, i'm kinda stuck. The only spot i know of is Asbury Woods.

If anyone has rode the trials there or anywhere in the Erie area, i'd be glad to hear about it!

Thanks!
    --Alex

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Check out the reviews for Wintergreen Gorge - a little closer to MC than Asbury is. Lake Country Bike in NE has a group that sometimes rides at a place called eaton resevoir. Competitive gear can tell you when there are group rides at Asbury

wot no bike?
    It's been, jeez, 15 years since I attended -- but there at least used to be some trails in the woods behind the soccer fields at Penn State Behrend, and I also used to ride the woods that borders the campus, down by the creek/river. It's been so long I'm sorry I can't give you more info, or even if they're still rideable, but might be worth a look if you're close by.

Mercyhurst, I think we used to party with the chicks from that school.
    pete

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm from Erie, Pa. Unfortunately there are only a few trails nearby (Asbury being one of them). There are trails behind Penn State Behrend as others have stated.

I usually enter in off of Cooper Rd. (take 38th passed the Bayfront Connector Hwy.. keep going on 38th until it turns into Cooper Rd. and at the bottom of the hill is parking on the right hand side). The main trail is basically one large uphill to the top of the gorge then the ride back down (with other trails intertwined).