mtbr member

Trails near Catawissa?

Newby here...The family and I are going to be camping in the Catawissa area and I wanted to know of any decent little rides...single track, DH, rocks, fire roads, whatever? Just looking to get some pedal time

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Yes...

...Mainville, Roaring Creek, Danville, Aristies all have trails. Campus Cycle has the guys who know the way, or you can search mtbr.com for any of the above names, and trail maps will show up in a few threads.

Not sure if I can post pics of maps right now as mtbr.com is having trouble with images. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Sweet!! Thanks for the quick reply...checking right now

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just did a nice ride at Roaring Creek on Saturday.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_009591.pdf
    This is the map put out by Weisner State Forest.
    We rode from the parking lot by the dam on route 42, crossed the road and did Headwaters to Dark Woods to Big Mountain and finished by flying down Pump House Trail.
    Lots to explore and enough rocks to keep your attention.

David

The Mainville Game Lands are pretty ghetto compared to the other two that were mentioned (Aristes and Roaring Creek are the same thing (like Raystown and Allegrippis))

I'd focus on Roaring Creek and Geisinger trails in Danville. They're very different. Geisinger is fairly low-tech, high-heartrate, lots of climbing. Roaring Creek is rugged, pure singletrack and diverse. Both trail systems drain extremely well, so weather is a nonissue
    Geisinger Parking (map at trailhead)
    Roaring Creek Parking
    Last edited by jonz; 08-13-2013 at 07:10 PM.

mtbr member
    dliquid1...Looking at the trail maps and aerials it does look like a nice little ride...7-8 miles I'm guessing? A question about Homestead...what is the climb like...is it the trail on the wide open, sun cooking you, sucking the life out of you powerline? I may even bike to bike being camped only 7 miled away. Thanks for the info...cause I sure don't want to ride ghetto.

Michael

mtbr member
    Still laughin, jonz

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Questions for the Aristes/Roaring Creek regulars
    This is a great post from last year with a map in a post by Jonz.
    You want to climb outa the valley via the Headwaters trail. Its not too bad of a climb and 90% tree covered.

What are the days / times your looking to ride Michael?

David

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dliquid1 View Post

What are the days / times your looking to ride Michael?
    Either Friday evening 5:00 - 8:00 ish or Saturday between 2:00 and 6:00 pm because that day will require a bike to bike of 7 miles or so from Springbrook Campground.

Michael

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Enjoy yourself there.
    Looks like my schedule wont allow me to join you for a loop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The ride from Springbrook to Roaring Creek will mean crossing Little Mountain on the way there (and on the return). I think climbing on Rt 42 is more difficult than the climb up Headwaters.
    If you can find Poorhouse road, that crosses Little Mountain also, a bit to the east of 42. It's a townhip dirt road, no traffic and in the shade.
    As you decend into the valley on Poorhouse, Pogey Road trail will be on your left, at a yellow gate near the bottom of the hill. This will take you to Headwaters near Rt 42.
    If you miss Pogey Road Trail, just turn left on 42 and watch for Headwaters Trail before you get to the bridge.
    Turn left onto Headwaters and keep to the left if there is an option. This will keep you out of any wet areas and you won't get off on a tangent like Old Reservoir or Corduroy trail by mistake.
    As you near the top of the climb on Headwaters, it wil intersect with Big Mountain Trail. It can get confusing there as Big Mountain, Ponds and Headwaters Trails are all very close together and possibly the same trail at some points.
    If you keep heading west at the top of Headwaters Trail it will bring you to Rt42 near Aristes, and the new Weiser SF Distric Office. (not open yet though)

mtbr member
    Thank you every one for all the info, I did make it out for a ride without the dreaded bike to bike option!!! Ended up at the reservoir parking lot @ 6:15 AM Saturday to start my ride. Very quaint little place you folks have... I encountered one trail runner and his little pooch on my way in on Headwaters(thought he was running out) and again at the top of Headwaters at the intersection with Big Mountain. Speaking of that little spot...WTH??...I literally cruised up Headwater only to come to screeching halt thanks to my own bravado, and a chainring gator bite on my right calf from trying to climb that last little 30 ft to Big Mt. trail. My mind far exceeded my skills, and after dusting off and losing my long sleeves( little nippy that morning) It was hike a bike for the previously mentioned 30 ft of trail.

Once upright, and ready to roll again, it was back to enjoying your completely perfect little trail system. I did have a brief oops moment when on Big Mt/Darkwoods the detour signage had been knocked down...really glad I happened to catch an "arrow" marker out of the corner of my eye...

After doing some exploring and playing in the old piles of bony and other strip mine leavings I was onto Pumphouse Trail...WOW was that a blast!!! Topped out at 32 mph (still had gear, but no nads) and was taking those itty bitty rollers like whoop de doos...what a rush!! Then a fist full of brakes and a power slide...all to check out the old stone foundation tucked into the hill side...any history on that would be appreciated.

Turns out that little stop I made to check out the foundation was luck, because if i was carrying that much speed into the switchback...whew!!! Finished the down hill and pumped the rollers back to the parking lot, what a fun ride it was. 9.2 miles in 1 hr and 17 minutes according to my GPS (8.3 miles without the extra playtime up top)

Thanks again for the tips and info (dliquid for the route and jonz for the map via another thread)!!! I really like the little bit I saw of your home turf and think you folks need to do an organized race in Weiser...I'd ride it!

Michael

Glad it worked out. Road riding over Little Mt (twice) would be bad. You did well to avoid it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Glad you enjoyed the ride.
    There is allot of mileage at that place. Every ride seems to lead to a new unexplored trail.