mtbr member
    Apr 2005

trails in ne Pa?

hi, will be in milford Pa (pike county) for 4th of july weekend. would like to get out a few times to different spots. thanks!

mtbr member
    An hour (1.5 at the furthest) drive East and you'll have 4 places to ride endless ST. Merli-Sarnoski park, Lacawanna State park, Hubbard Mtn, and Prompton State park. If you're into DH, Diablo is 1/2 hr away. If you're up for any of these places, let me know. Fahn

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    just be aware that 1/2 of merli is closed due to logging. And prompton is always wet, even in the driest summers.

mtbr member
    Prompton has been dry all season as I've been there every weekend. With this weekend being the exception, we did 9 miles in the rain. The last 2 months I've been there riding the higher trails and haven't had a muddy or slick ride yet (with the exception of this Sat). The trails are designed very well and never have puddles. Merli has around 3/4 of their trails that you can still ride. The Orange trail on one side with 6 side loops combining for 12-15. The only trails that are closed are past the pond. Fahn

mtbr member
    being only minutes from my house i have to give a nod to lackawanna state park - some amazing singletrack has been cut in and more seems to appear every six months or so. agreements have been made with the earth/land conservancy which only increased the riding terrain. the place is like night and day compared to 10 years ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    another vote for lackawanna state park here, and if you've got time DEFINATELY check out Jacobsburg State Park (its down Rt 33 off the Belfast exit) because its got some amazing single track trails if you venture off the fire roads.

i was at jacobsburg yesterday and got lost for an hour and a half, the place is huge.

In East Stroudsburg, for more DH/AM type stuff check out Glen Park..there is some awesome trails up around the mountain that not alot of ppl know about, i live ten minutes from there. If you want a guide let me know i can shoot over and bring a few friends, you'd have a blast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Prompton has been dry all season as I've been there every weekend. With this weekend being the exception, we did 9 miles in the rain. The last 2 months I've been there riding the higher trails and haven't had a muddy or slick ride yet (with the exception of this Sat). The trails are designed very well and never have puddles. Merli has around 3/4 of their trails that you can still ride. The Orange trail on one side with 6 side loops combining for 12-15. The only trails that are closed are past the pond. Fahn

I don't know what you are talking about. Prompton is always wet compared to other trails. Have you ever ridden the red? I ride there every morning and can assure you it is wet most days. And the trails are designed well (no need to thanks for the trail work i do with the guys i ride with) And merli is 1/2 closed, you can make some good loops. I ride there once or twice a week, but it still isn't as good as it used to be. Even though you can make some good rides.

mtbr member
    The red is always a mess. I rode it once this year when it didn't rain for a week and it was too wet. But the Double yellow, Yellow, Blue, Sugar shack, Pines, and Cliff trail are all good. Now with all the rain we got in the past week I assume that Orchard and West are pretty close to going under. Have you ridden there this week? What's it looking like? Do you know Dan or Pender?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Haven't been there since the rain. I heard the lake was REALLY high though. I should be going out tomorrow to get some riding in before i work. So i'll give a trail update tomorrow evening if i remember.

mtbr member
    Well, How's it looking? Is the water burying any trails or the airplane field?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah I was also wondering about Prompton. Everyone seems to like it and I want to take a trip up there but I'd like to wait until the trails are in good shape. Is Prompton in Dalton? Or is it in Prompton? I was trying to come up an address online but all I could get was an address for Dalton. Do they have trail maps available at the park or are there any maps online/scanned maps someone could send me?

mtbr member
    Prompton is the name ov the twp. Where are you from? The directions are stupid-easy. Take the Casey highway towards Carbondale and continue into Waymart. Go straight thru the traffic light for 4 miles. Make a Left on 170. Parking is 1/4 mile on the right. As far as trails, Your best bet is to go with someone who knows them to experiance them all. PM me if you're interested in riding there as I'm usually riding there on Saturdays. ttyl, Fahn

Wizard of the Trail
    Hey lar,
    Do any riding at merlis since the rain? I haven't been out much. What are the local trails looking like if you did get out? I see you havn't rode prompton yet.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Merli is supposed to be in pretty good shape from what Mike said. It's wet like usual, but not deformed like prompton is sounding like right now. My understanding of Prompton is that the "old 170" is unridable due to downed trees. You have to ride higher up in the woods to get out to the road. The 170 side is flooded in the begining. You have to go about .5 mile on the pave` to enter in on Orchard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anyone ride the Penobscot Mountain bike trail system? I used to live down the street from the new trailhead.

mtbr member

Good job! There are a few places around Wilkes Barre named

Penobscot. I have rode many times at the Penobscot ridge in Mt. Top. Also have rode at Penobscot Mtn. Bike Area in Newport Twp in the boroughof Wanamie. I think your referring to the one in Wanamie. It is mostly double track. Once out of the parking area and up the very large open hill area the trails are very nice. Nobody riding there the day I went(a saturday morning). Enjoyed the area.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    JeffskisMontana:

Hey do you have directions to the Wanamie trail head? I rode there once but came in from the other side. Where can I park where it will be safe?

Thanks

LC
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, since I used to live in Wanamie, maybe I can help though it's been years since I've lived in NEPA. Do you know how to get to Nanticoke?