mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Trails close to New Cumberland/Harrisburg??

Hi guys. I'm a rookie who's been trying to hit some trails around the Harrisburg area. So far I've been to Lake Redman, Rocky Way (?) park in York & today I hit Pinchot lakeside trail. I read on the PA trial site that there are trails off of Fishing Creek exit of 83 but to no avail. Anyone from the area familiar with this?? What other trails do you Harrisburg/New Cumberland / Mechanicsburg area people hit?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, your best bets are Rocky Ridge and Governor Dick in Mt. Gretna, both 25-35 minutes away depending on where you are.

If you have more time for travel Michaux is about an hour away and huge--many miles of trails.

Rocky Ridge is probably closest, good for an evening ride after work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks. I'll look into Mt. Gretna

sambabiker.com
    Check out sambabiker.com

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Swatara might be worth a look especially if your going to make the trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow! Great site Barnold! Swatara doesn't seem too far either! Thanks guys. It will be nice to be able to have a variety of trails to hit. I've read about this "Red Land" trail off of Fishing Creek exit of 83. Apparently is an old fire trail that connects to a few xc trails. If I find it, I'll check it out & let you guys know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Michaux!!!!!!
    Michaux!!!!!!
    Michaux!!!!!!

Michaux!!!!!!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Michaux would be about 2 hours from Harrisburg.

HopHeads, Unite!
    2 hours? How slow do you go? I live in Michaux and work in Harrisburg--east shore--and it takes me about 45 minutes to get there. That's northern Michaux of course, not southern.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Lamb's Gap? I think it is legal to ride there again.....
    btw, I am in New Cumberland also.
    pm me.... maybe we can hit the trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Lambs Gap is still illegal to ride in. As are all Game Lands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, I checked out this "Red Land" trail today briefly. According to mountainbikepa.com, it's just off of Fishing Creek exit of 83 south. The only thing I saw was a Red land school. Unless the trail starts there, I have no clue where this place is. I'll have to investigate it again when I have more time. I'm hitting Red man tomorrow with a few friends. I definitely need the practice. Rallyrcr, let me know if you are interested, I wouldn't mind hitting a trail or two with you.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I thought I read somewhere that they were opening up some of the trails? I've hunted up there last season and there were tire tracks on some of the trails.
    what are the chances of getting caught?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A friend of mine tried to ride at Lambs Gap a couple weeks ago and was told by two Game Commission employees that there are no trails open to bikes there. They said some of the signs have been torn down making it appear like riding is legal, but it isn't. They were pleasant about it and didn't write him up. Just gave a warning. If they catch him again he will get fined.