mtbr member
    May 2009

trails around Shady Maple, East Earl, PA

Coworker's been raving about the buffet in Pennsylvania called Shady Maple so I'm thinking of making a visit, but going just that distance just for food seems a bit much so I'm wondering if anyone knows of trails nearby. Mainly looking for cross country type stuff and less technical since I'm a beginner.

East Earl, PA, 17519

mtbr member
    I've been there once, overcrowed and over-hyped IMHO. I am personally not a fan of buffets but to each his own.

Using Shady Maple as a center point, if you are coming from the West, I would say Rocky Ridge in York. Coming from the East French Creek. Coming from the south White Clay/Middle Run, Fair Hill or Brandywine. I'm not familiar with anything to the north of that area. If you are a beginner and can make it work, White Clay/Middle Run would be perfect.

mtbr member
    You could do Camp Mack. Shady Maple is all right but nothing really special. Expensive for what it is.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Shady Maple - This place has shaped the landscapes of many Pennsylvanian's waist lines.

CLOSED ON SUNDAYS.

Over priced, Crowded, Largest Buffet in the area. I'm a fan but don't make a trip just to eat.

To the West - Mt Gretna and Swatara State Park. Both well maintained.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We only go for the breakfast,which is pretty good imo and free on your birthday.Wouldn't go for lunch or dinner as others have said.If you feel like driving north about 40 min there is Blue Marsh Lake,some people hate and some people like..30miles give or take,.. to go around the lake with smaller loops possible as well,nothing tech,mostly smooth flowy kinda of stuff.

smartass
    Marsh Creek is not far, and probably the best trails in that area, worth a trip up just for that.

Shady Maple is disgusting, it's like the Wal Mart of restaurants, don't waste your money.

mtbr member
    Marsh creek & harmony hill are both in downingtown and about 25 minutes away from shady maple. Personally I dont think shady maple is worth the price of entry much less worth driving to. I've only been to SM twice and with exception to dessert, have yet to have anything that wasn't mediocre at best. (there's just a lot of volume) It is significantly better than Old Country though.

my church is the woods
    Skip shady maple and head right down the road to Shirks bike shop! Then on up to French Creek.

mtbr member
    Shirks is the best shop around, without a doubt.

Not sure I agree that Marsh Creek has the best trails in the area...

Do you put them above French Creek?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Shirks is the best shop around, without a doubt.

Not sure I agree that Marsh Creek has the best trails in the area...

Do you put them above French Creek?
    Agree to everything above, but French Creek for a beginner is likely a bit overwhelming and may be true in that (and only that) case.

banned
    Apr 2009
    about a decade ago this was the BEST Breakfast buffet ever.. they had 4 kinds of sausage (turkey also)---and the 'create an omelet line'..

had only been for breakfast though.. But they do have a Great Supermarket there also (best donuts and sliced meat also)--plus 10 years ago the fish counter had fresh shark, frogs, etc.. things I had never seen for sale at a Supermarket before..

--But never knew of any trails there (or worth riding)

In South Central Pa. my 2 favorites are THE WISS (Philly) and Rocky Ridge (York)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    hrmm, perhaps I'll have to do some more research on eats before making a trek down there from NYC... interesting recommendation on Shirks and the info of the place make it worth a visit.