Nervous Descender

Trails around Mt. Gretna-Brickerville-Colebrook?

I'm going to be in PA this weekend in the Mt. Gretna-Brickerville-Colebrook area- can anyone recommend some good trails around this areas? Also, are the PA state game lands in that area off limits to bikes? I used to run there when I was in high school, but have been away from the area for about 15 years.

Thanks!
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

ctg
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    I'm going to be in PA this weekend in the Mt. Gretna-Brickerville-Colebrook area- can anyone recommend some good trails around this areas? Also, are the PA state game lands in that area off limits to bikes? I used to run there when I was in high school, but have been away from the area for about 15 years.
    Thanks!
    Governor Dick in Mt. Gretna is open for biking. There's a good mix of trails there. The guy who runs Gretna bikes used to make maps, you should contact him. The SGL's are pretty much all officially off limits. You can check the PGC website for posted routes for bikes. Manyof the posted routes are double track and service roads.

http://governordick.tripod.com/access.html
    http://www.gretnabikes.com/

Chris
    www.chrisgroff.com

my church is the woods

Thanks!
    Follow this link :http://www.spinnerspa.com/main.html
    click on races/tours, then click on the Mt. Gretna xterra tri event...it has a map of gov. dick in Mt. gretna.
    The trails there are in great shape.
    Most of the game lands trails are really overgrown this summer with the monsoon, and the decreased riding due to the little orange triangles everywhere.
    I live in the area, send me a PM if you want to ride sunday morning, I usually go out for a 3 to 4 hour fun ride around Gretna, I can show you many trails only the locals know about.

mtbr member

Trails

Most of the SGL are closed. Camp Mack is also closed for the summer, but if you want a good ride you can still ride in that area.

On Rt322 south of the Rt 72 and 322 merger is a parking lot at pumping station rd. Park in the parking lot and cross 322 and ride up the road across from the parking lot. Make a right at the stop sign. The road will break left, but turn right and ride up the dead end road. After you crest the hill look for the SGL parking lot on the right(1mile from Pumping station). Ride the Jeep trail up to the top (about 5 miles) gate across the trail. At the gate the Horseshoe trail will be at your left. This is one of the best decents around. Follow the trail markers to the gravel road and hang a right out to the road (322). Make a right on 322 and ride down to the two driveways on the right. The first one will be gated and the second one will be the road back to the lower Horseshoe. Ride the road up to the point it makes a hard right with a parking lot on the left. At the parking lot the Horseshoe decents back down to the first road you rode up. At the bottom of the lower Horseshoe watch for the 2 big dogs behind the chicken wire fence. Have fun.

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    Follow this link :http://www.spinnerspa.com/main.html
    click on races/tours, then click on the Mt. Gretna xterra tri event...it has a map of gov. dick in Mt. gretna.
    The trails there are in great shape.
    Most of the game lands trails are really overgrown this summer with the monsoon, and the decreased riding due to the little orange triangles everywhere.
    I live in the area, send me a PM if you want to ride sunday morning, I usually go out for a 3 to 4 hour fun ride around Gretna, I can show you many trails only the locals know about.
    Unfortunately, I'll probably be riding early Saturday morning, otherwise I'd take you up on your offer.

BTW- is it still possible to ride to Dinosaur Rock from Gov. Dick, or does that now involve illegal trails? I used to run that route when I was in XC in highschool. I wil also check out the trails around Gov. Dick, but I always liked the Dionosaur Rock.

my church is the woods
    Unfortunately, I'll probably be riding early Saturday morning, otherwise I'd take you up on your offer.

BTW- is it still possible to ride to Dinosaur Rock from Gov. Dick, or does that now involve illegal trails? I used to run that route when I was in XC in highschool. I wil also check out the trails around Gov. Dick, but I always liked the Dionosaur Rock.
    Yes, well mostly anyway. There are three "designated routes" on the gretna gamelands that you can ride. They are the horshoe trail, fisher hill road, and bouscout road. The horseshoe trail, marked by yellow swatches, runs across gov.dick (the best trails there btw) and crosses pinch road at the top where the big new "nature center" is. it is double track/fire road for a couple miles until you come to colebrook rd. from there you would have to turn left on colebrook rd. and go south about 1/2 mile to get to dinosaur rock trail. I don't know of any trails around there worth hitting, unless you just want to see the dinosaur rock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I rode that boring gravel rode one day...

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    Yes, well mostly anyway. There are three "designated routes" on the gretna gamelands that you can ride. They are the horshoe trail, fisher hill road, and bouscout road. The horseshoe trail, marked by yellow swatches, runs across gov.dick (the best trails there btw) and crosses pinch road at the top where the big new "nature center" is. it is double track/fire road for a couple miles until you come to colebrook rd. from there you would have to turn left on colebrook rd. and go south about 1/2 mile to get to dinosaur rock trail. I don't know of any trails around there worth hitting, unless you just want to see the dinosaur rock.
    I rode that boring gravel road from Pinch Rd thru the SGL parking lot to Colebrook Rd to see Dinosaur Rock. I carried my bike from the road back to see the rocks(so I could take a couple pictures) to be legal. Carried my bike back up the trail to the road again. I should have put my bike on the rack and drove around to see Dinosaur Rock. I passed a couple groups of horsefolk, and they were pissed that all the good trails were closed to them, too.

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    I rode that boring gravel road from Pinch Rd thru the SGL parking lot to Colebrook Rd to see Dinosaur Rock. I carried my bike from the road back to see the rocks(so I could take a couple pictures) to be legal. Carried my bike back up the trail to the road again. I should have put my bike on the rack and drove around to see Dinosaur Rock. I passed a couple groups of horsefolk, and they were pissed that all the good trails were closed to them, too.
    Promised my wife I'd try and grab a photo of the dino rock. Maybe I'll just drive to it, and spend my riding time at Gov. Dick.

Thanks!

Nervous Descender

Mt. Gretna/Gov. Dick- Thanks to all who got me there!

Thanks for all the great tips on the Governor Dick trails- awesome riding and only 10 minutes away from my folks house! That PA mud is pretty greasy, and the humidity was truly unbelievable! I rode most of the major trails indicated on the maps- sweet single track with nice technical challenges thrown in here and there. I'd wish I'd ridden trail 13 downhill rather than uphill- would have been cool to take some of those drops. Trail 12 (took that one downhill) was fun, though pretty slick with mud. Didn't enjoy the climb back up to the tower on the fire road, though. Also enjoyed trail 7- downhill back to the car.

Thanks for the maps and trail info- will definitely be bringing my bike on future trips to the Manheim, PA area.