mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Trails along Rt.6 east of Scranton

I been driving out Rt.6 (Casey Highway) to Archibald for the past few weeks and noticed there are a lot of trails visible right along the highway. Does anyone know if they can be ridden by MTB'ers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't live up there but I do know there ALOT of atv trails. If you ride there take a GPS with you. There's that many trails

mtbr member
    We used to ride them a lot on Thursnights, but I haven't been up there in 4 years. Once you're over by Mayfield, there's a way to come out on the Gamelands border and ride the top ridge line of Archbald. Awesome views on both sides. It's hard to describe where to go exactly cause the trails split every couple hundred yards. I'd like to get up there again and figure it out though, cause part of it is in my back yard. Let me know if you want to ride it and maybe we could meet up or something. Of course, you can come ride up Hubbard and we can discuss riding on the other side. I'm sure people are willing to join in too. ttyl, Fahn

Ps, where do you live?

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Bob_Element50

Most of the area you speak of was once the D&H gravity Railroad. It was a system of inclined planes to haul coal to Honesdale. Since then it has been stripped mined, a process where the earth is dug out and the remaining coal is removed that could not be removed from tunnel mining. So, the entire area is left scared with overburden. What we ride is what is left from the process. It is private land! The Quads use it as a riding area.

I do know the area around Mayfield near Carbondale the police were ticketing trucks that parked by the bridge on Gordon avenue. Also the area called "40 Foot Falls" is heavily posted and blocked with dirt piles and logs to stop entrance.

It is a very large area. I think your best bet is to come to Hubbard some Thursday, ride and dinner night at the lodge, and talk with the guys there. They are always in the know as to what is up with the local area. Hubbard is a great place to ride, and a great group of people who do it right. The foods out of this world!

[SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Lee, a couple months ago I saw a bunch of motor homes and campers set up off of the jessup exit. Quads and trailers were set up too. Follow the paved access road off of the Jessup exit back about 1/2 mile. You can see this section from the Casey now, but when the leaves come in, it's kinda hidden. Any idea what that was about?

"It is private land! The Quads use it as a riding area."
    ????? Are the quads supposed to... Being that it's private property?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Lee, a couple months ago I saw a bunch of motor homes and campers set up off of the jessup exit. Quads and trailers were set up too. Follow the paved access road off of the Jessup exit back about 1/2 mile. You can see this section from the Casey now, but when the leaves come in, it's kinda hidden. Any idea what that was about?

"It is private land! The Quads use it as a riding area."
    ????? Are the quads supposed to... Being that it's private property?
    Yes, it is private, and the owner has given the Mayfield police permission to patrol it! When I was there last a few trucks with quads were parked there. They were from New Jersey and they were ticketed for being on private property. I spoke to the police officer about this and he told me the story. It is leased by a hunting club!

As to the quads and who has permission and who doesn't......well same old story!
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    What Lee and Larry have already said is true about this area. I know it very well, I spent a lot of time dirt biking on these trails when I was younger. I have mountain biked, hiked, and ran along them all of my life.

Having said that, there are many better places to bike than these quad roads. It used to be a very beautiful area, but now it has pretty much been destroyed. There are still some areas of nice riding, but it's not long before you hit another decimated section. I honestly believe that one area(near the "40 ft falls") on that mountain is reserved specifically for bulldozer practice, as I cannot see any other way of explaining the movement of dirt in this region.

As far as trespassing goes, a few years ago a guy was shot in the hand by an older woman because he rode his quad through a rock quarry. I haven't heard too much regarding fines, but gun wielding grandmas are enough to keep me away from that rock quarry.

Your much better off going to Merli, Prompton, and LSP. It is also imperitive that you check out Hubbard, great food is served there, and I think there's a few trails too. Any one of these places has great singletrack, somewhat unmolested forests, and a smaller chance of being shot at. Let me know if you plan on riding any of these areas, I would be up for joining you. I'll even show you around the trails that you initially asked about if you are still interested. There are still a few worthwhile rides in that area.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    What Lee and Larry have already said is true about this area. I know it very well, I spent a lot of time dirt biking on these trails when I was younger. I have mountain biked, hiked, and ran along them all of my life.

Having said that, there are many better places to bike than these quad roads. It used to be a very beautiful area, but now it has pretty much been destroyed. There are still some areas of nice riding, but it's not long before you hit another decimated section. I honestly believe that one area(near the "40 ft falls") on that mountain is reserved specifically for bulldozer practice, as I cannot see any other way of explaining the movement of dirt in this region.

As far as trespassing goes, a few years ago a guy was shot in the hand by an older woman because he rode his quad through a rock quarry. I haven't heard too much regarding fines, but gun wielding grandmas are enough to keep me away from that rock quarry.

Your much better off going to Merli, Prompton, and LSP. It is also imperitive that you check out Hubbard, great food is served there, and I think there's a few trails too. Any one of these places has great singletrack, somewhat unmolested forests, and a smaller chance of being shot at. Let me know if you plan on riding any of these areas, I would be up for joining you. I'll even show you around the trails that you initially asked about if you are still interested. There are still a few worthwhile rides in that area.

Jay
    Hey Jay:

I think the problem started when they built the Casey highway. We used to use Hosey road to get around the area. Now the area is cut off by the new highway. The tunnel under the highway used to carry the stream through is one way of getting to the other side. The quads were using it the day I was there. I was told that is the area leased by the hunting club as well as the area on the other side of the highway. If you don't use the tunnel you have to ride the paved road. It should have been looked at from a positive view. By using the tunnel the quads weren't on the paved road. But then again it was becoming a riding area for all who visited from out of state.

Of course I'm talking about quads here. MTB's are a different story. Most people think we are crazy for even trying to ride where we do. I seriously doubt anyone would bat an eye if they saw a few guys on bicycles there. Less impact, and quieter also.
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Thanks for the info guys

I was at Cedar Bike and they mentioned the Hubbard mountain bike club. I'm interested but checking out the pics on your website I saw a lot of technical trails. My fitness is good, but I'm not sure if my skills are up to par with yours. I'd hate to have you guys waiting for me all the time. Maybe I'll stop in some night and chat to get a better idea of what type of riding is involved. Thanks for all the info about the area in question. If it's private then I'll pass on it.

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Element50
    I was at Cedar Bike and they mentioned the Hubbard mountain bike club. I'm interested but checking out the pics on your website I saw a lot of technical trails. My fitness is good, but I'm not sure if my skills are up to par with yours. I'd hate to have you guys waiting for me all the time. Maybe I'll stop in some night and chat to get a better idea of what type of riding is involved. Thanks for all the info about the area in question. If it's private then I'll pass on it.
    Bob=Element50

I don't want to speak for others here, but I can guarantee you there is a vast spread of riders at Hubbard and no one gets left in the woods. Usually there are numerous groups of riders spread out throughout the woods on a Thursday night ride. I have seen as many as 5 different/ separate groups in the woods. They meet up and some riders even switch groups, going to a group doing a longer ride. You have to ride there to truly appreciate the togetherness they have and the passion, dedication, and support for the sport of mt biking and mt.bikers.

I can assure you..... you won't forget the fun you had at Hubbard... I don't know of another group who does this ride/dinner on a regular basis.There is "NO" pressure as far as riding goes! All are welcomed! John Graboski the owner is one hell of a guy and when you meet him you have gained another friend in your life.

Please stop by and introduce yourself!
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Word! Stop up and ride with us Bob. I'm a Clyde myself and lead a "slower" group every week. I stop at intersections and wait at the top of every climb... Actuallt, you'll be waiting for me at the tops! We still ride for fun and leave the racing for Sundays! Fahn

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Nice to meet you LarryFahn

It was great to talk to you today at Cedar Bike. I'm looking forward to riding sometime on Thursday night with you and the guys at the Barn. Thanks for the great directions. I took a ride shortly after our talk and found the Barn very easily. I'll keep in touch and try to pull off a Thursday night ride sometime in the future.

mtbr member
    No problem, Bob. As always, anybody who wants to ride is welcome to come up! Fahn

mtbr member
    Quick question Bob, I know you said you were on Kendas, but how wide are they? 2.1's are pretty standard for Hubbard. Let me know. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Trails along Rt. 6

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Scranton area and new to this forum. I'm a mounting biker and ATVer. I'm looking for places to do both and some people to ride with. A few of you mentioned riding off of the Casey highway at the Jessup exit. Is this near the industrial park with Cinram? If so, I've heard a lot of good stuff about riding in there, but have been warned to be cautious of trespassing in the conservation areas.

I look forward to conversing with you all and hopefully doing some riding!

Robbie

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by risrob30
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Scranton area and new to this forum. I'm a mounting biker and ATVer. I'm looking for places to do both and some people to ride with. A few of you mentioned riding off of the Casey highway at the Jessup exit. Is this near the industrial park with Cinram? If so, I've heard a lot of good stuff about riding in there, but have been warned to be cautious of trespassing in the conservation areas.

I look forward to conversing with you all and hopefully doing some riding!

Robbie
    [SIZE="3"]Welcome:

Here's 2 places you can ride and not feel you are trespassing.

Francis Slocum State Park
    http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

Hubbard Bicycle Club
    http://www.hubbardbicycleclub.com

You will find lot's of rides of all kinds and friendly faces

Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA

[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Conditions are good up hubbard as of Monnight. There's some sections I'd like to fix though. ttyl, Fahn

Wizard of the Trail
    Hey Larry,
    Do you guys have a map of those trails on hubbard, or do you guys just know where you are riding. It seems like the trail system is extensive up there. I thought about doing some riding on my own up there, but I think I would get lost. Next time I get sometime, I will give you a call to see if your riding that day. Anyway, I do alot of riding around the aylesworth dam and around route 6. Especially when its wet and I don't want to ruin good trails. I never get bothered at all. I think the main problem is with the ATVs. Most of these riders are scofflaw types. There are signs posted everywhere that says no atvs, but they are all over the place.

Lee, where are the forty foot falls anyway? I rode to the top of tghis old red ash road where there is a huge gate. I had no idea where to go from there. Looks like a few rock quarries, thats it.

Bob, DO NOT ride those trails on the weekend. I almost got hit by a yamaha banshee one saturday. That was a mistake!
    TTYL
    Randy
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Good job!

[SIZE="3"]Hey Randy:

How'ya been?

You were close to the Forty Foot Falls. They have blocked it off with huge boulders. You can find it if you cross the dirt road between quarries that connects you to the paved road. At the bottom of the hill there is a bridge that crosses the stream. Follow the stream downhill and you will see the falls. It;'s hard to describe cause there is no real landmarks there. Ah..... what the heck we will have to do a ride there and I will show you.

[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Wizard of the Trail
    Lee,
    I am doing fine. How about yourself? Someday we will have to meet up and do some riding. I am hoping this cold snap we are supposed to get doesn't last all that long. I figured I must have been close to the falls, but I kinda got spooked because there were way too many racing quads running around that day.
    Randy

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    Lee,
    I am doing fine. How about yourself? Someday we will have to meet up and do some riding. I am hoping this cold snap we are supposed to get doesn't last all that long. I figured I must have been close to the falls, but I kinda got spooked because there were way too many racing quads running around that day.
    Randy
    [SIZE="3"]Randy:

I ride Tuesday nights at Francis Slocum
    http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

and Thursday nights at Hubbard
    http://www.hubbardbicycleclub.com

Your invited to join me anytime! [/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Wizard of the Trail
    riding with the hubbard gang are you? great bunch of guys there! Trails are pretty narly over there, but definitely fun. I plan riding thursdays more this year.

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    riding with the hubbard gang are you? great bunch of guys there! Trails are pretty narly over there, but definitely fun. I plan riding thursdays more this year.
    [SIZE="3"]Randy:

They have been working hard on new trails. I don't know when you rode there last but new stuff abounds! Hope to see ya there sometime.

[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com