mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Trail maintenance in Jim Thorpe

Sending out a survey... Any riders in the JT area that would be interested in maintaining and improving/developing the trail network in the area? It may be a good way to improve our standing with the Game Comm. Also thinking about making the rides on Pisgah, Summit Hill, Nesky, etc. more accesible to unfamiliar riders. Has anybody had experience dealing with Lehigh Coal & Nav or with John Drury (private land owner)?

We offer a ton of riding, but half of it is hard to find if you don't know where you're going... maybe it's better that way? Just curious to see what other riders think...

I also think we should lobby to restore mtn bike weekend. What the hell happened?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dwsteig
    Sending out a survey... Any riders in the JT area that would be interested in maintaining and improving/developing the trail network in the area? It may be a good way to improve our standing with the Game Comm. Also thinking about making the rides on Pisgah, Summit Hill, Nesky, etc. more accesible to unfamiliar riders. Has anybody had experience dealing with Lehigh Coal & Nav or with John Drury (private land owner)?

We offer a ton of riding, but half of it is hard to find if you don't know where you're going... maybe it's better that way? Just curious to see what other riders think...

I also think we should lobby to restore mtn bike weekend. What the hell happened?

[SIZE="3"]dwsteig

Why don't you see how many people are interested in doing as you suggest. You could be the lead person in this venture.

We NEPMTBA are always willing to help our fellow Mt Bikers in Jim Thorpe and elseware. We can assist you in a work day, but please have all the details worked out in your area. Permission and allowance to do what you want from the proper people.

Jim Thorpe was once the capital of Mt biking, but recently it has fallen off the map. Other places have worked hard to create and maintain trails in their respective areas. I know the locals keep riding and maintaining the trails there, but as you say most guys never have the chance to ride the so called secret trails and secret rides. You do have to realize what you think of as a great ride might be way too difficult for newbees.

Why don't "YOU" start a group? I can tell you we(NEPMTBA) organized this past November after our founding member Chris Stine and I talked on a night ride at Frances Slocum. Chris had been holding a weekly Tuesday night rides there. We felt the need to maintain what we and others were riding. So we asked the ranger if we were allowed to maintain the trails and help him with this.

We are striving forward at a pace we never expected. It just took off! The bike shops, local businneses, Hubbard Bicycle Club, Joe Truesdale form IMBA and riders in the area have helped to make NEPMTBA what it is today! Check out our website (link at bottom of page) for ideas to help you.

Everyone here likes to have a place to call their own to ride, and they have shown us great support! We are glad we can do what we do for the riders in our area. The Hubbard Bike Club located above Scranton has been a big help also in all areas of NEPMTBA. They and we support and help each other ............great bunch of guys and girls!

I'm sure JT can rebound with a new generation of riders and some old schoolers who know their way around too.

Good Luck and we are always willing to help!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would love to help out. I am relatively new to the area and the sport. It would be a great way for me to "pay my dues" and learn more about riding in JT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Look for Lath Carlson- he has already started some of this work and is always looking for hands....Lath, you out there??

mtbr member

Hi, here's a quick history of the JTTC

Quote Originally Posted by dwsteig
    Sending out a survey... Any riders in the JT area that would be interested in maintaining and improving/developing the trail network in the area?

Currently there is a core group of riders; me, Dean, Jamie, Galen, etc, who do spontaneous trail maintenance. A couple years ago we had a big ice storm with a lot of downed trees and I started the Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition to organize some larger scale maintenance. We also helped with the last MBW and another benefit ride last year. I have also GPS mapped most of the legal trails and the maps are available free to JTTC members, which is FREE, via jttrails@hotmail.com. We have also been talking to IMBA regarding the Game Lands issue. Currently that issue seems stalled and a bigger threat at the moment seems to be the proposed developments at Summit Hill and Nesquehoning/ Broad Mt. and the new hotel planned for Flagstaff. My wife, a track rider with the US team and former MTB racer, has also been working with the JT Marketing Committee on ideas to promote riding in JT. Look for a new billboard on the turnpike soon.

It may be a good way to improve our standing with the Game Comm. Also thinking about making the rides on Pisgah, Summit Hill, Nesky, etc. more accesible to unfamiliar riders. Has anybody had experience dealing with Lehigh Coal & Nav or with John Drury (private land owner)?

I have not really had much of a chance to meet with land owners due to my work/racing/home improvement schedule. It would be great if you want to pick up this end of things. I know Dean and Galen have some insights and possible contacts here. The big issue in JT is that the majority of the better trails are on private land, SGL, or questionable lands. Until access issues are resolved there is not a lot that we can do regarding trail marking etc. Also the ATV/gunslinger crowd makes it tough to keep trails singletrack and signs intact. The lake has done a really nice job this year marking and maintaining the legal trails, like Switchback.

Due to the questionable legality of the trails and the ATV issue, in a lot of ways it does seem better that way, sorry everybody.

It sounds like it might be time for a JTTC meeting, is there a time and place you would like to suggest?

Not enough time for this one, let's just say that the park learned it's lesson last year and would probably be open to bring it back....Dave, are you still out there?

It's good to see someone else interested, lets talk. -Lath
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Lath,
    Can you hook me up with the GPS versions of the trail maps. I believe I am already a member. Please let me know when the next maintenance is scheduled.

Thanks,

schmidtworld13@yahoo.com

"have also GPS mapped most of the legal trails and the maps"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

follow up

Thanks for the info Lath... Schmidt : good to see that you're interested as well. I'll see what I can find out regarding LC&N and John Drury. He's very pro-JT, and may be of some help. My work/home schedule does not allow for a ton of free time, but if I can help with maintenance let me know. I do informally maintain some trails atop Pisgah. When you have time, I'd like to hear more about the demise of MTBWXX.

thanks again...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

good info

Thanks for the info Lath..I know Jamie and Dean pretty well, didn't know you guys had put together a formal effort... we certainly need it. Schmidt : good to see that you're interested as well. I'll see what I can find out regarding LC&N and John Drury. He's very pro-JT, and may be of some help. My work/home schedule does not allow for a ton of free time, but if I can help with maintenance let me know. I do informally maintain some trails atop Pisgah. When you have time, I'd like to hear more about the demise of MTBWXX.

thanks again...

mtbr member
    sorry for the lack of voice. with FC and VF and others that are ongoing i havent' done much with gc, HOWEVER there is potential for a quick success. If lath and others get a solid large core of helpers we can hit the ground running. the Land manager up there is soon to retire so he may not be motivated to do things like this but maybe potential managers down the road of which i know some are very willing to look at the options.

i appreciate the patience and if you guys could work on organizing we could come to the table ready to act on a promise

thanks
    joe