mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Trail clearing equipment

What is the best way to clear green briars, blueberry scrub, and thin laurel off of rocky trails. I have never tried a rotary blade but it seems like it would not take long to get ruined on the rocks. I usually use the triangle golf club type wacker which works ok, but I was wondering if there was something better. I have seen signs of someone using a beefed up rotary weed wacker with a twisted red licorice type whip. The results looked good but I did not see it in use. Has anyone used something like that?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I always use the brush knife blade on a weedwacker...

Outdoor Power Tools | STIHL USA

...these heads can take rock shots cause they are mounted in a clutch type set up allowing the blade to rotate if it connects a rock, it will still nick it, but using a saw blade requires resharpening alot.

I wear welders heavy leather gloves to clean up debris.

...and if it's multi flora rose it will come back unless you remove everything including the dirt it is in.

You might have better luck in the trail builders forum

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I use a Stihl long handled hedgetrimmer. Little heavy for an entire day of use but nothing takes care of greenbriar like it.

I also have a Ryobi long handled 24 v hedgetrimmer for trails i have a long hike to get to. Does adarned good job and much lighter and much cheaper( about $100 or so compared to over $500 for the Stihl). With an extra battery will work well over an hour .