mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trail at Big Pocono State Park

I noticed on Mapquest that their is a road that connect from Long Pond Road to Big
    Pocono State Park, it's labled Deep Lake Road; I actually road up at the park years ago but went with someone and I don't remember. We want to go from Indian Mountain Lake, connect to Long Pond Road and then take that road right to the state park.
    Is that a State Game Lands Road? If you can ride their what condition is the road in. This is a subjective question but is a safe to travel? We want to take young teens on a ride and I want to stay safe. Thanks.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

Why not:

Just take them on the Rails to Trails?
    Proformance Cycle
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We want to leave from a house at Indian Mountain Lakes. Plus I would like to know for myself, I would like to make the ride just for a ride. I don't want to tresspass if that is State Game Lands or a private access road. I road their once before but it's a long time ago.

mtbr member
    frank, the roads are safe to use. just look for the green triangles. I can tell you though to just keep a heads up b/c every road looks exactly like the next. I good landmark is the radio towers which should be east of where your coming from. The main road to the state park comes right by those towers. There are singletrack trails all around but we are slowly going to ask permission to legalize those but for now be careful. The problem with how it's all set up or actually the challenge is that there is a committment level there. What i mean is you can get on a trail there and it doesn't have any shortcuts. For what your doing staying on the fireroads will work fine. Just stay on top of the plateau and you should be fine.

good luck. Watch for rattlers on the roads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=For what your doing staying on the fireroads will work fine. Just stay on top of the plateau and you should be fine.

good luck. [/QUOTE]

Thanks Hackamo, we just want to get from point A to point B. Is Deep Lake Road just a straight shot from Long Pond Road right to the State Park? I am going up their next week and I am going to do the ride myself. I just don't want to get lost. We don't want to go off the main road; just get to the State Park. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey, here's a trail map of the state gamelands.
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/game/...&rgn=Northeast

The fire trails are the best way to get to the State Park. It's safe and legal to travel on bike, and most people are pretty friendly. The fire trails are kind of like loose sand/dirt, so the riding can get tiresome. Also sometimes there are big puddles across the whole trail. You can usually ride around them though. There's a lot of single track side trails, and also the fire trails do all look the same, so keep a copy of the map with you and maybe bring a compass. The easiest way to get to the State Park is to take the fireroads to the trailhead on the main paved road to the top of Camelback. On the fireroads you'll pass some radio towers and little substations for cable and phones and such. Next look for the big powerlines overhead, then go another 200ft or so and you'll find the trailhead. (There's an offroad track to one of the State Park trails, but it's loose rocks and uphill, you'd wind up walking up it.) When you're on the paved road take it to the top of the mountain. On the way up there's the entrance to the State Park trail. There's some great views from the top of the mountain, so bring a camera if you want.
    Occupa vitam.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by M0N741N B|K3R 13
    Hey, here's a trail map of the state gamelands.

The fire trails are the best way to get to the State Park. It's safe and legal to travel on bike, and most people are pretty friendly. The fire trails are kind of like loose sand/dirt, so the riding can get tiresome. Also sometimes there are big puddles across the whole trail. You can usually ride around them though. There's a lot of single track side trails, and also the fire trails do all look the same, so keep a copy of the map with you and maybe bring a compass. The easiest way to get to the State Park is to take the fireroads to the trailhead on the main paved road to the top of Camelback. On the fireroads you'll pass some radio towers and little substations for cable and phones and such. Next look for the big powerlines overhead, then go another 200ft or so and you'll find the trailhead. (There's an offroad track to one of the State Park trails, but it's loose rocks and uphill, you'd wind up walking up it.) When you're on the paved road take it to the top of the mountain. On the way up there's the entrance to the State Park trail. There's some great views from the top of the mountain, so bring a camera if you want.
    Thanks for the MAP..... helps greatly!
    Proformance Cycle
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=M0N741N B|K3R 13]Hey, here's a trail map of the state gamelands.

The fire trails are the best way to get to the State Park. It's safe and legal to travel on bike, and most people are pretty friendly. The fire trails are kind of like loose sand/dirt, so the riding can get tiresome. /QUOTE]

Thank for the map, that's perfect. The outline green road looks like it goes from point A to B which what we want. I don't want to ride any single tracks, just get to the state park from Long Pond Road. Is their anywere on the green road were we could get lost. I am going to ride it once before we bring my cousin kids with us. Thanks again, the most important thing is not to get lost. I rode their years ago and I know their a maze of trails.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Singletrack???

I'm looking for any information on singletrack in Big Pocono State Park or the State Game Lands near there. I've riden there a few times but haven't really found much singletrack. I start out where everyone seems to start, at a clearing on the side of the road. Seems like they get a good amount of cars there with people riding, walking their dogs, hiking, etc. I've seen the cars but never seem to see people back there. I've ridden the fire roads/game land roads and ridden past a lake and a swamp (there's a fork in the road with a painted rock before this) but haven't gone further than that. The roads are all intertwined and can be confusing if one isn't paying attention. Is there any singletrack back there or is it all fireroads?

I found some singeltrack off the main trail in Big Pocono State Park (there are a few downed trees with rock ramps up them) and i've follwed it about two miles but didn't go further than that. Does anyone know how far that goes and where it ends? I'd like to ride it to the end but didn't know how to plan for it. Any information is greatly appreciated as i'd like to go up there sometime this week.

VMB

Musichead

Check out www.bikevmb.com for some info on a ride that might be happening there this weekend (possibly Sunday). The best way to find out about those trails is to ride there with someone who knows them. If this ride materializes we'd be glad to have you along to show you around.