Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tour de Tykes

The Krazy Never Die

Tour de Tykes

So if I'm not mistaken Tour de Tykes is right around the corner. As I'm not going to race I was wondering who I would need to contact about volunteering to help. I remember hearing Bob talk about him helping. Just want to contact someone and hopefully get out and lend a helping hand.
    LIVE FAST - DIE FUN

ganginwood
    Matt Mcelroy would be a good place to start. He is Danville. Matt's contact is on the MASS site here

if he is not involved anymore, he can tell you who is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

ganginwood
    or brad herrold i guess....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

The Krazy Never Die
    Thank you I just sent him an email. Thank you for the info
    LIVE FAST - DIE FUN

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Does anybody know what the terrain is like at this race? I may end up taking off of work to do it! This will be my 4th race in a row and I just started this season, I am so pumped!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The trails are sweet, with very little rocks, though the hills are steep.
    Matt is the guy to see if you want to help out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    lots of climbing and not super technical, but there are couple steep loose-ish descents. This is one of my favorite races of the MASS calendar, but it is a tough course because of the climbing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How long is the race, I mean hours or miles?
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Beginner Loop 6.5 miles. Start 9:00

Expert Loop 18.5 miles. Start 11:00

Sport Loop 13.5 miles Start 11:30

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow
    but it is a tough course because of the climbing.
    ...gives the locals an advantage.... I remember my first race there, the next guy in my class was like "When does this hill end?!?" on the FIRST climb.

Same guy got a pass on me later (he was over-all slightly better condition than me), but then GAVE ME A PASS-shouting "You know this trail-I'll follow you!!!" on a long downhill... I am pretty sure we took that descent faster than most of the experts. He ended up beating me by like 12 seconds-If I hadn't known the terrain, I never would have seen the guy after the starting line.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I took off work so I think I will be doing this one!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Was thinking about entering it .... but after seeing the comments, I'm not sure I wanna get smoked that badly. Saw the add and was looking at the info this morning.

Would be my first race in just over 20 years.

Wonder if I should stick with the beginner course.....

Joe

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Due to all the rain, the race has been changed to SUNDAY the 17th
    Times should be the same, just one day later hoping for better conditions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the alert. Planning to do the beginner race and register the morning of ....

According to WNEP's site ... Saturday morning looks better than Sunday morning. Supposed to rain all night Sat into Sunday according to what my wife/I heard this morning.

Joe

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great now I probably won't be going
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverracing
    Due to all the rain, the race has been changed to SUNDAY the 17th
    Times should be the same, just one day later hoping for better conditions.
    This is awesome... we are busy Sat, but now I have a great reason to get a Sunday morning ride at one of my favorite places! Haven't raced in over two years.... barely ridden yet this spring.... should be interesting!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Rediscovered
    After 3 years of doing Sport... it's time for me to step it up.

Punching in for Elite this year after a solid start to my collegiate road season. I need the extra distance and climbing for the ECCC championship race at Penn State next weekend, so I'm down for a little masochistic suffering.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's looking like the weather will be cloudy and in the 60s. I can guarantee NO DUST!!

mtbr member
    after 2 seasons of 'cross, have jumped into the xc/endurance world...helpful comments and, yes, the locals have a nce advantage...i'm used to brandywine/fairhill terrain...short punchy climbs, roots and rock gardens that only hint at those i've bounced around on at french creek, mt. penn...

just curious...anyone ever done this (race or not) on a 'cross bike?

gonna be a long, great day...gotta get up around 3am for this one

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Almost wondering if the races should have been today. I'm just under 1 hour east of Danville and it didn't start raining here until around 12:50-1:00

No ... I'm not afraid of rain. But I'm not sure it would be a smart idea to try and race without hearing aids on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Don't know of anyone ever doing it on a 'cross bike, but do know of someone doing the beginners loop on a beach cruiser. With coaster brake. I DO NOT recommend that. It was very sketchy on the downhills to say the least.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Amazingly I was able to get my work schedule changed and so now I hope the race doesn't rain out.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Can't get over the amount of rain we had today.

I'm having doubts about going tomorrow (whether the race is on or not).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well ... I'm back from "my" race.

Beginner Veterans class (30-39).

Did not go as I hoped. I suspected I would be in the battle for last place and I was partly right. The last time I had any kind of a formal race, I was 14 or 15 years old. I'm 36 now. The course was very well laid out --- but the hills were tough for me in the limited training time I had.

The bummer was I had to pul a "DNF" Somehow in the process of a faster downhill, my front tire dislodged a rock that was a good deal larger than a softball. Promptly flew up and into my lower shin. I was able to make it to the next uphill spot where I could see I was having trouble pedaling down on that leg.

I was at the "intersection" point of the 2 loops for the race. Over half way and 1:05 min into it. The second loop was shorter and I probably would have had an overall time of 1:40 or so.

Considering I only had a week notice and wasn't really "training" for it ... I'm not upset. Just disappointed I couldn't finish.

So ... when & where is the next race ??

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBound29er
    So ... when & where is the next race ??
    French Creek??? I might be going to that one.....

Sorry to hear about the DNF... last time I raced 2 years ago, I had a flat WAYYYYY out near the power line crossing. That was long walk back. Even a DNF makes for a good story, though.

I was roughly mid-pack Beginner 30-39 today.... was having serious doubt this morning about my own mental sanity, but I am very glad I did it.

If any of the race organizers are following this, THANK YOU. I had a blast. Really couldn't have been any better given the weather conditions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast